cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have pay extra for data for a smart phone when I have it for free?

Journeyman

Why do I have pay extra for data for a smart phone when I have it for free?

I’m thinking about getting a smart phone. I already have a line with free data, text, and photos, and pay $10 for the data premier, why can’t I get a smart phone with upgrading to the $70 play? Sprint is trying to rip me off! If I have all the requirements for a smart phone, why must I pay extra for the same things that I have for free?

11 REPLIES

Re: Why do I have pay extra for data for a smart phone when I have it for free?

CAEIAS7, Do you know what your exact plan is?

Journeyman

Smartphones use alot more data than your old phone with free data, sobeit the exra 10 dollar charge

Journeyman

• 200 Anytime Minutes
  • 2800 Night And Weekend Minutes
  • 3000 Night & Weekend Minutes
  • Unlimited Text Messaging
  • 1500 Shared Nights/Wknds 8pm
  • Sprint Data Plus Pack
  • Nights: M-Th 9Pm-7Am Wknd: F 9Pm-M 7Am
  • Picture Mail
  • Data Premier

I pay $10 for the Data Premier and the rest of the data is free.

Journeyman

I'm paying $10 for Data premier and I DON'T have a smart phone. I want one without paying extra for the services that I get for free. If you get internet for free why should I pay for the same service?

Wizard

You're on some sort of legacy plan. Over time, plans, phones, and technology have changed.

Your old phone must be running on 1x data which is a speed of about 50-100 kbps. Your new smartphone may download data more than 50 times as fast (or so) depending on whether you're using 3G or 4G.

Only seems fair; better features cost more. This pricing change isn't anything new:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/plans/blog/2011/01/19/whats-there-to-kno...

Journeyman

I'll pay the extra $10 charge, but I can't even get a smart phone. Sprint tells me to up grade to a higher plan and all I qualify are for flip phones. Most of the phones that they have are reconditioned and are going away. Why should I have to buy a reconditioned phone or an outdated one? It's not a question about paying a fee, but more if I have all same things as the as the unlimited plan, way can't I get a smart phone?

Master

How can you only qualify for a flip phone?  If you have completed your previous contact, then you qualify for the exact same deals on phones & smartphones as a brand new customer...including Androids, iPhones, Blackberrys, & Windows/WP7 phones.  You just have to choose from any currently available plan in order to activate one.  You are currently grandfathered with your expired plan and no one will force you to change it/update it...but if you choose to upgrade your device then you must choose from any currently available plan.  Most, if not all of the devices I mentioned require a Simply Everything or Everything Data family plan...then you have to add the 10 dollar premium data charge. 

You should be able to get an estimate of your monthly billing if you contact telesales or go into a store.

Thanks

-John

Journeyman

john,

did you just say the "everything data family plan includes the $10 premium data charge" ?? i have the everything data family plan, and i am charged an addtional $10

per line for data for "smart phones".

a little confused here......

jay

Master

I apologize for being unclear.  Each Simply Everything plan price does not include the 10 dollar premium data charge.  You have to add that on extra.  I edited my post to make it clearer.

thanks

-John

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.