cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Mobile requires data?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please read over this chat log: http://pastie.org/pastes/1626842/text As you can tell, the sprint rep and i are both contradicting each other. I want to purchase a Samsung Intrepid (or other windows mobile phone) and activate it on my account which does NOT have a data plan. Just talk, text and picture messaging. The lady had said that the Intrepid does NOT require a data plan OR the $10 a month premium fee for smartphones, while the links i posted in the chat log says otherwise. She then went ahead and stated that the Intrepid was NOT a smartphone while the link again said that any phone running windows mobile is a smartphone.   The Samsung Intrepid runs Windows Mobile 6.5. Also note that If i do buy an Intrepid, i will do so from a 3rd party website (eBay)  So I would like to know who is right. Me or her? Is the Intrepid considered a smartphone? and will i need to purchase a data plan if i activate it on my current basic family plan?   P.s. My current phone is a samsung Ace.

Tags (4)
7 REPLIES 7
Wizard

Based on internal Care documentation, customers do NOT need to change to a data plan when activating the Samsung Intrepid.  See the What's there to know about 'iconic' phones and data plans? blog for more information.

However, the Intrepid is classified as a a PDA and smartphone in our systems, so you should be required to pay for the $10 Premium Data add-on unless you are a SERO customer.

Journeyman

If it does not require a data plan, why would it also need the $10 premium Data Add on when it wont be using data in the first place?

Wizard

The Intrepid is still a smartphone that uses data.  While you are not required to use it with a data rate plan, a separate data pack is highly recommended as you most likely would incur casual data charges otherwise.

Journeyman

I understand that the Intrepid is a smartphone that uses data. What i dont understand is why i NEED the $10.00 premium data ADD ON when i have no Data plan for it to ADD ON to in the first place. And I also understand that a seperate data pack is highly recommended so there are no casual data charges which is why i have blocked data for my line which means i wont have ANY data charges, even by accident.

Wizard

I checked with the Marketing on the exact requirements:  Even if you want to block data, data is still required on the Intrepid. For that phone, it can be in the form of a data rate plan or an attachable data pack.  If you want to block data and/or not pay for the $10 Premium Data add-on, then I suggest considering a different phone.

Journeyman

So earlier when you said "Based on internal Care documentation, customers do NOT need to change to a data plan when activating the Samsung Intrepid." that was false? A data plan is needed for the intrepid? Even if i already have a smartphone with data blocked on my current line?

Wizard

Not it wasn't false.  Data in the form of a rate plan or attachable IS required, i.e., you can be on a talk-only plan with a data pack attached.  If you have a smartphone without a data rate plan or data pack attachable, then whoever set up your phone and plan made an exception because the system allows for it, but it's really against product rules.

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.