cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying SIM Toolkit The SIM card has locked

Journeyman

Annoying SIM Toolkit The SIM card has locked

Hi, I moved to Hong Kong for some time and still using my US Sprint SIM card number. When I use it in a local Huawei P20 Mate phone, the service works (I can browse web, make and receive calls, and sms messages) but every few min I get this annoying "SIM Toolkit" mesage saying "The SIM card has locked. Please power cycle the device and if the problem persists contact Customer Service". 

I tried all options suggested on the internet such as restarting, Disabling SIM toolkit App under settings (it will re-start automatically), removing notification etc etc but still have this very annoying error.

I also called Sprint customer service and they tried to register my new device and they were not able to do it. 

But I do have line and service. Not sure what else can be done to remove this notification?

Thanks!

Chang

9 REPLIES 9
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Annoying SIM Toolkit The SIM card has locked

Hi Chang! I just want to be sure I understand this correctly.  You're using a Sprint SIM in your Huawei P20 in Hong Kong as the second SIM card in that phone?  Do you still have service with Sprint or have you cancelled service with us?

Yes, I am still an active Sprint customer and have an active US Sprint Number. I do use both SIM cards on my Huawei P20 Mate, the Sprint SIM Card and a local Hong Kong SIM Card from local carrier. I know it is the Sprint one causing trouble as if I remove it, I stop getting the error message.

Tags (1)

Thanks. That's what I thought.  What type of phone was that Sprint SIM card used with in the US?

In the US, I had an iPhone X that I purchased it with Sprint. I have unlocked the iPhone and still got it with me. Just that due to work I need to have both SIMs on the same phone thus got myself the Huawei phone locally. Anything that can be done? Can you unblock the SIM card from Sprint?

Has it been throwing errors at you ever since you popped the Sprint SIM in the P20? 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

Yes, this problem happens only in the Huawei P20 Mate. While in Hong Kong, if I use the Sprint US SIM card in my iPhone, I don't have this problem.

Since Huawei devices aren't supported by Sprint, that SIM will likely continue to have issues as it's trying to reach out to the network in a device it's not registered for and can't be paired up with. Unfortunately, you'd have to keep using the iPhone X or find another compatible dual-SIM phone that the Sprint SIM could play nice with. 

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Journeyman

Really? But the SIM card does work on the phone, I can make and receive calls, and navigate internet and sms txt with the US Sprint SIM. There must be something that can be done.

HI Chang,

We understand your frustration, but there isn't anything else that can be done on our end since that phone is not approved on our network. 

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.