Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bait and Switch

Highlighted
Journeyman

Bait and Switch

This happen to anyone else?

In Nov 2018 your retention department (via phone conversation) offered me a new contract that included 2 new phones.
I had decided to move to another carrier and retention wanted to keep me as a customer.
My previous bill with sprint had been around $76 a month and I wanted to keep it that way. I was promised that my bill would be
around the same and the agent broke it down like this:
Plan $32-
1 new phone lease $32
2nd phone lease $32
total $96
less a $20 military discount
which would bring my bill to around $76

I agreed to this new plan and was transferred to another person to finalize the details.
During that call, the person confirmed my price and also told me sprint was offering me a
third phone and phone line for free. I informed her that I did not need a third line since it is
just my wife and me. She insisted that I take it since it is free. I said ok and she finalized my order.

Everything was great till my first bill arrived, it was $224 and I am paying for the third line that was supposed to be free!

Since that time (Nov 2018) I have chatted and called several times trying to get this resolved. I was finally told only retention can fix this. Every time I have called retention it resulted in a very long (no shorter than an hour and as long as 3) phone conversation that ended in someone will get back to you. First two times it was a call back but no one ever called. Then it was supposed to be an email. I'm still waiting.

I just had my latest conversation with a supervisor in the retention department (Marselle). She confirmed that I may have been misled and that my monthly bill is $200. I said that I stayed with Sprint based on the offer I was promised. I indicated that this is a case of bait and switch and tantamount to retail fraud. She agreed and apologized for being misled. I said, just to be clear Sprint offered me a deal to stay with the company that it will not honor. She said yes. She offered to follow up with an escalation. My success with that has been zero.

$76...I agreed to stay with sprint because I was promised my bill would be $76...even if it had gone to $96 without the military discount I would be less upset, but $200?

What kind of company policy is this? Promise them anything so they agree then screw them over?

The deal I would have gotten with the other carrier is no longer valid.
Now I am stuck with a company that lied to me. Made promises they did not intend to keep. Put me in a plan I can not afford. Admitted I was misled. Seems unwilling to do anything about it. Now I'm being threatened with shutting off my service unless I pay.

I will give Sprint one more week to get this right. I will post this as far and wide as I am able so no one else gets duped.
I will ensure that my fellow military brethren are made aware of this bait and switch situation. This is just plain shameful.

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted

Re: Bait and Switch

That sounds terrible. 😞 Not what we like to hear from our customers. I am going to PM you for your account information. I would really like my management to take a look into this matter. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Incidentally, when I started with Sprint they gave me two new iphones and put me on a 4GB

data plan ($76). When the contract was up and the phones paid off they moved me to a different plan.

They never asked me or told me. I didn't notice right away because surprise, my bill was still $76 even though I was no longer paying installments for 2 phones. How convenient. When I inquired about this I was told it was for my own good because it included more data (I don't use that much). It was one of the reasons I was leaving.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let me just say this. Sprint is nothing but a bunch of liars who will say or do anything to get your business without any thought to how it could affect someone. I left a great company, Verizon to come here. Why? Because I was lied to over and over again. I was lured here because of a promotion I was conned into accepting. I was told if I bought two phones and ported my Verizon number to one phone and got a new number for the other one I would receive an LG Tribute free of charge and I felt it was a good idea because I was asking about the LG phone for my young daughter. My account was approved for two lines. I asked how that would affect the free LG. I was assured not by one but by three different Sales Team Members or Cons for Short it would be no problem. Well guess what after they ported my number from Verizon I was told I could only have two lines of service so I couldn't get the LG Tribute. In other words they admitted tonight that I was lied to all along . Welcome to Sprint. 

Wizard

That's super rough mberry0603. I hate to see a customer unhappy, and would love the opportunity to take a deeper look into this for you. How many lines were ported over from Verizon? What was the name of the promo you were quoted? Did you go to a corporate store, or speak to someone over the phone? 

Cat
Small Scale Farmer 

Pulling issue and planting solutions.
If I was able to plant your solutions, please accept and/or kudos the resolution.
Highlighted
Journeyman

It was on the website. To get the phone you have to port one line and the second one can be a new one. So they talked me into it. Bef

Highlighted
Journeyman

Before I did it  I asked three different employees about my account being approved for two lines. All three said it would be no problem  then when I called back to get the LG Tribute shipped and the service added I was told I was only approved for two lines. I was told Sprint was a bunch of liars but I have to explain to my daughter why I am a liar. 

Highlighted

Before the account is set up we can only guess how many lines someone would be approved for. Until we check credit we can't approve the number of lines for sure. The rep should have explained that. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

No you don't understand. They ran my credit and told me I was approved for 2 lines. I was getting two new numbers. But the rep explained if I would port a line I would get the LG Tribute. So I asked twice if she was sure I would get the promotion because of being approved for only two lines. She put me on hold and came back and said I would. The number I tried to port would not so they assigned two new numbers while I worked on getting the information on the Verizon number. And let me point out the reason the first number would not port is they attempted to port the wrong number. So I got the phones and called back with the information to port the Verizon number. Again I asked about the LG phone and again I was put on hold and again assured they would be sending the LG and adding a third line. The number ported and I was supposed to receive a call the next morning in regards to the LG phone and let them know what plan I wanted to add. I contacted Sprint the next afternoon because no one called that morning. For the third time I was assured the LG Tribute would ship but was asked if they could call me back and complete the order. Of course I had to call them that evening because I never received a call from them. This time the rep acts surprised that I was asking about the LG phone because I already had the two lines of service. First this is nothing but bait and switch. Trained to do this because they all act ignorant of why I am upset because it's out of their control. I have asked to speak with supervisor after supervisor but what I get is the person I am speaking to putting me on hold and then coming back on the phone saying that they are the supervisor using  a different name but obviously the same person. They think we are so stupid that we won't recognize it's the same person because they are all foreigners to begin with. This is the single worst con I have ever experienced. Nothing but lies and deceit. LG has asked for  a complete detailed account of what I have experience and copies of the transcripts of chat sessions I have had trying to get the phone promised in the promotion that they talked me into doing AFTER my credit was run and my account set up with a limit of two lines. They should honor the agreement or at the very least send me the phone with prepaid service or offer upgrades on the phones I was talked into buying

Highlighted

I know it is frustrating that you wanted the LG and the 3rd line. It doesn't mean you can't get it sometime. When we run credit we run a soft inquiry to see what is approved for service, and then we run a hard inquiry to determine how many lines and if down payments are needed. Again I know this is frustrating, but you can call to speak to our credit class department about getting another line added. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Spoiler
No you make it sound like it was totally unintentional. But my dear it was. I was told upfront what the down payment was and that I could only have two lines. But I was also told that if I ported a number I got the LG phone and a third line because of the promotion. Are you going to tell me that people are automatically qualified for 12 lines of service? Because the promotion says up to 10 free LG Tributes. Of course not. The rep said the promotion lines don't count as lines that are purchased. Those lines are counted as promotion lines. In other words you get qualified for two lines but if your order full fills requirements of a promotion that is being run that gets you a free phone then they automatically  add another line. What they are doing is lying to customers to get them to purchase the required phones and porting the required numbers so that they also get a free phone but then they refuse to add the extra line and the customer loses the free phone they just received. That is illegal business practices. The phone is owed to me regardless. Third line of service or not. The promotion doesn't say a **bleep** word about having to add a line of service to get the phone. They owe me the phone. Free
Highlighted
Journeyman

I would recommend contacting your State's Attorney General Office. That's what I had to do.

When my wife and I signed up with Sprint at the Milford, MA (Cedar Street ) Store we were told that the rate was $100.00 for five lines with no conditions. In other words, Direct pay was an option not a requirement for the $100.00 rate for five lines. In addition, we were not told that it was promotion that would end after a year.  Consequently, we signed with Sprint.  If we were told that the rate was only good for a year and that it was dependent upon using direct pay, we would probably have chosen a different carrier. Interestingly, when we questioned the sales person, Mr. Nylander, about the register receipts which we received on the day we signed on with Sprint, and which showed a totally different rate than what was on his summary, he told us to ignore that receipt and that the Sprint bill would show the correct rates as noted on his summary.

When we received the first Sprint bill, it was not as was described on the summary Mr. Nylander provided. We therefore called Sprint customer service on 4/14/2018 and explained to Amy the discrepancy.  We explained to her that we were told that our rate would be $100 irregardless of whether or not we had Direct pay. She looked at the bill and agreed with us. As a result she gave us a credit of $25.00 and an additional credit of $6.05 for an LG phone that we were being charged for but was supposed to be free as per the summary from Mr Nylander. She further stated that future bills would show the corrected amount ($100 for the 5 line minus $5.00 per line for direct pay minus 6.05 for the LG phone). At no time did she mention that this was a one time courtesy credit even after repeatedly asking her if our future bills will be corrected to show the new amount.  If you need to confirm the conversion I am sure that customer service can provide our recorded conversation.

Sprint had two opportunities to provide us with correct information; once on the 4th of April when we signed on with Mr. Nylander and when we questioned him about the paper receipts that he gave us. The second time with customer service rep Amy, who more than once stated that our future bills would be corrected to show credits totaling $31.05. If on either occasion had we been told that the 5 lines were actually $125.00 (with the promotion), we would have signed on with T-Mobile who was offering a $65.00 rate for 3 lines (which is all we really needed). When we spoke with Amy we were still within the 14 contract cancellation limit.  So if she had given us the correct rate information, we would have cancelled.

We were also offered 3 $100 VISA gift cards, which we never received.

To make a long story short, we had to settle with Sprint on the rate issue. They gave us a one time credit of $120.00 but we wound up eating the the difference in the rate. So we're paying $100 per month for the five lines instead of $100 minus $5 per line as was explained to us in the store.

With regards to the VISA gift cards, we battled with them for almost a year. During this period we placed many calls to the Store and the toll free customer service number. We were told many different lies during this whole ordeal.We finally had to settle on receiving 2 $100 Visa gift cards and a $100 one time credit to our account.
Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.