cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get sprint to unlock phone

Journeyman

Can't get sprint to unlock phone

Called Sprint, messaged via Twitter, same result.  They say it is unlocked, it is not.  Although the online advice for an orphaned phone says you need the former account holder's name OR account number, actually you need both to push through another request.  So even though the phone shows on Sprint as unattached (I could sign it up for service), Sprint not creative enough to do this themselves. 

I've spent an annoying number of hours on this, now they want me to pester the former owner.  Hey Sprint, how about you do some work?  Of course, I am offering to take this phone off their system.    But no stars at all for service. 

If there is anyone left on this forum who can help, it would be appreciated.  Otherwise I will return phone or resell as a locked Sprint phone.  Useless to me, for no particularly good reason.

8 REPLIES 8
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Re: Can't get sprint to unlock phone

You do have to have the original owner have the device unlocked to ensure that the phone is in good standing and that the account is paid off. 

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Journeyman

Still working on it.  Point was that the phone shows unlocked on the Sprint side....the seller did their part in asking.  Frustration is that (1) someone at Sprint could, actually check this and (2) every conversation begins with explaining that no the phone has not yet actually unlocked.  If I can (and I could, I checked) sign up for a sprint account with this phone there is no reason whatsoever it can't be unlocked.  We did get the original owner on the phone to bless this, but I think it will still be several days to actually GET the phone unlocked. 

Good customer service involves actually solving problems.  Poor customer service is the "there is nothing we can do."  It has taken hours to get beyond that.  But some small progress.

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

I'm unable to go into someone's account without permission and access. I need to have the original customer give my their phone number, PIN and sometimes a security question. So if that original customer wants to contact us, sure we can take a look. 

I'd be happy to take a look and resend that signal if you send me your phone number and IMEI in a private message. In the mean time, please make sure that phone is on, connected to wifi and has that Sprint SIM in it. 

"Is your name Wi-Fi? Because I'm feeling a connection."
Journeyman

I am working on it with another sprint rep.

I understand that you would not go into an account without permission.  I would, however, suggest that to ease the frustration of many here that you pass up the line to actual programmers that you need a way to unlock phones, not accounts.  Phones are going to be bought and sold, and we will change providers for any number of reasons (like, no coverage at son's college).  Easing these transitions might give a customer a reason to come back when situations change, but making life difficult isn't working well here.   (Funny, when a rep called on my phone the call dropped....at home is the only place this is an issue, because we have poor sprint coverage here and my poor old flip phone is technically on the sprint network through the reseller, it is too old to do anything else )

Phone in question already had been asked to be unlocked.  Is not attached to an account.  It is just a phone presently held hostage.  I'm mildly hopeful that in a few more days maybe resolved, but seeing others' problems figure it will take at least that long.   But to have to keep going until finally you get a hold of the next level has been such a waste of time for such a simple issue.

GrandMaster

lol held hostage.

happen to know how the phone receives a update? over a data connection..wonder how it receives the unlock code? the same way..meaning if someone requests it to be unlocked but pre maturely powers it off, removes it from an active account, or removes the sim card since they no longer need it prior to actually receiving the unlock code then it will never be able to receive it..which 9 out of 10 times this is the reason it will show locked through the phone but show as unlocked on Sprints side...as it would on any CDMA carrier..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I had looked into it enough and would figure that it would be hard to get unlocked whilst turned off.  So at the moment it is sitting plugged in and on.  It does have a sprint sim card.  I figure it likely just got turned off and it sat in a box here for two months.  Will make another attempt to get it opened (we actually got the original owner on a three way call, just luck as I don't answer any of my phones for unknown numbers anymore).  The brain transplant sim card is in another state at the moment.

GrandMaster

you would be pretty surprised at how many people request it be unlocked and turn right around and power it down or yank the sim card to be used in their new phone not even thinking that it kind of needs all of that in place in order to unlock lol.

worst ones are the ones that purchase a device from someone and then find this out..Sprint has their security measures in place to protect the owners due to a number of things so they cant really let much slide..so the new owner ends up being the one shafted when all the original owner had to do was learn what must be done..ensure that yes in fact it is now unlocked..THEN sell it lol.

oh and also make sure anything that might turn off wifi is turned off..battery saver mode comes to mind... and any options within advanced wifi settings to make it stay connected to wifi and not go idle on you.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

In the end, though, it doesn't matter whether a customer did things incorrectly.  Customer service should step everyone through the steps, not simply repeat the mantra "there's nothing we can do."  If the original contact can't solve a problem, you should be able to speak to the next level of support.  Still, part of designing consumer products is understanding how consumers use the gear, complaining about how they don't do it correctly is just poor support period.  I want to emphasize that nothing here had anything to do with protecting any owner!  Sprint thought it was unlocked, the phone was NOT on any contract and did NOT have any billing encumbrances, and Sprint was aware of this.  If I just called and accepted what I was told, I would have a non-functional device.  Or I could have shipped it back to the seller and let him deal with it.  Hours of time spent because there is essentially NO customer service on initial contact.  The problem only got resolved because I got stubborn and went to social media.  This forum is ok for finding out about common issues, but not in any way a substitute for having live people who will find out how to solve a problem rather than just refusing or unable to help.  I still don't see how it helped Sprint to so frustrate a once and future customer.  It will be a long while before I look at them again.  It took days (why?) for the unlock to be sent (how long exactly?  I don't know, at some point I had better things to do in the busy holiday season than check a phone's settings).  Once that apparently huge boulder was rolled out of the way, the rest took 5 minutes and needed no additional phone call to Ting...just transplant the sim card and we were off and working.   

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.