cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Free Tablet Scam

SOLVED
Journeyman

Re: Free Tablet Scam

This issue should not be marked as solved. The free tablet scam continues...years later. In November, I was purchasing a phone. I was told by the Sprint Representative that I qualify for a free tablet. The representative was upfront about the contract service/monthly fee that would be additional (although, he did say that it would be $20.00 and $25.00 is actually billed). However, as my bill came in the following month, in addition to the service agreement fee, there was an equipment fee charge of $12.50 for the tablet. I called immediately to resolve the issue, and each month since the charge continues to appear. I have spent hours of my life on the phone (that I can't get back), to have this reversed. After months, and countless phone conversations with representatives that talk circles in hopes that I will give up, they say they have finally fixed the mistake; blaming it on the store representative for offering me something that was not available. After reading through this blog, I find it very hard to believe that so many employees of this company misrepresent offers. In all likelihood, Sprint is hoping that its customers will get tired of spending hours of their lives on the phone for $12.50 a month and give up, pocketing the profit of their defeat. For me, it is not about the $12.50, it is about principle. I truly hope that the issue is resolved for good this time and Sprint revises its business practices so that future customers do not have to suffer such tribulations. 

Highlighted
Sprint Social Care

JUGANT

We regret making you feel this way! We'd like to have the opportunity to rectify this experience for you.

I sent you a Private Message, please reply back to me as soon as you can.

Ciara

Sprint Social Care

Ciara
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I had this happen to me to exactly. The exception is that I have three lines and they sold me two tablets. They stated that i had to have the 20-25$ unlimited in order to get reimbursed the 12.50 a month for the tablet. So at this point I agreed to the two fees at 25$ a piece(even though I didn't need the data because I have wi-if) and a 12.50 a month fee x2 which would later be credited back to me on the following month. I'm 4 months in and the 12.50 appears every month without the credit. We called sprint and they informed me that because we got the unlimited plane of 25 a month it null and voids the free tablet (12.50). I didn't even want the plan the rep insisted that it was the only way to receive the 12.50 credit. After talking to three different managers nothin was resolved and they blamed they women who sold me the tablet stating she misinformed us and there is nothing we she could do .
Journeyman

Oh my goodness! I am going through the SAME thing! I have been to the Sprint store and called multiple times inquiring. Except I'm being charged for a $35 tablet plan and roughly $24 for the iPad! I was hoping that this was legit because I was going to open another line with them but this has been a total mess! I would be devastated if I let Sprint get me twice! They need to reprimand the reps that do this to unsuspecting people and honor the promotion! They told me at the beginning of March that I would receive a lump sum credit on my next bill. I'm really getting upset and have already been looking for another company to switch to. This is ridiculous and I'm going to be highly upset if I see the same thing next month. For me it's the money AND the principle! Sprint has been good up until these last few months going back and forth about this tablet deal. I guess I better start exploring other options because I'm not for this kind of service at all.
Journeyman

Yes, I was scammed this way too, but I was able to get the tablet out of it.

About 2 years ago, I got an email from sprint saying they had a free tablet for me.  Since I had a loyalty service credit of $15 / month, they said they could give me a tablet essentially for free.  It sounded too good to be true.  To be honest, I was in the market for a new tablet.  My old Nexus 7 was starting to get tired and was slowing down and I had been looking at some of the new Samsungs for a while.  When the email came through, it definitely interested me.  Naturally, it was only an 8 GB tablet, but it was an LG and it had a slot for an expansion card - something my Nexus didn't have.  I read the email over carefully and called the support number on the email.  The nice lady laughed when I asked her 'what's the catch?'.

She assured me there was no catch, but apparently she hadn't told that to anyone else in their organization.

When I first got it, for the @$12 shipping charge that was supposed to be all I would ever pay for the tablet, I was pleased enough and got a case and chip for it.  Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to get the tablet activated.  It seemed to have signal, but it simply wouldn't activate.  It was OK though; I had wifi at my house and office so it wasn't such a big deal and I figured I'd drop by the sprint office at some point to see what they could do with it.

The next month, I got a huge charge for the tablet that it was my understanding was not supposed to happen.  I called and was told that it took a few months for the computer system to be able to work out the charges and discounts and that I should be patient.  Hmmm...  

The next month I got another charge for the tablet that I still hadn't been able to activate.  This time when I called, I was told that the tablet promotion was not available for as low a data package as I had put on the tablet and that was why I wasn't getting the discount.  Hmmm... That was not what I was told, but I upped the data package, with the understanding that my loyalty discount would still cover the entire tablet charge.

The next month, I got an even higher charge, and though my loyalty service credit was applied, it was far less than I was expecting and the tablet was still costing me money.  At that point, I got mad.  I dug up the actual email and called the support line - this time I was ready for them and was not taking no for an answer.  I got put through to someone who I explained the problem to.  The tablet was sold to me as FREE and it had been anything but.  On top of that, when I did take it down to the local sprint store, they told me the reason the tablet had never been activated was because it was a 4G tablet and would only work on 4G service.  I don't have anything even resembling 4G service for 100 miles in any direction.  What on earth were they doing selling me a tablet they had to know would not even work in my area?  And wouldn't that have been a nice thing for the first salesperson to note or at least put into the fine print?

In the end, I did reach someone who credited me the entire amount I had paid for the tablet to that point and crediting me what I would be charged in future.  I essentially have the free tablet that they promised - but the process I went through to get it didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about the company, that is for sure.

Journeyman

I'm a recent victim of this scam no matter how many times I call to complain I'm still paying installments on something that the advertise as free
GrandMaster

the device itself is free...however to get that device you must enter into a contract for the line itself for a certain amount of time..2 years maybe? cant remember the actual time of contract..but its the same thing you would end up with if you took the "free tablet" from pretty much any other carrier..same type of fees/contract deals as you see here..so its free but at a cost.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Community News

Community News

Aaargh! Subscribe to the Captain's Log to find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.