cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC 10 WIFI Calling

Highlighted
Journeyman

HTC 10 WIFI Calling

The only thread I could find on this subject was archived and the conclusion in that thread was that the HTC 10 does not have wifi calling on Sprint. That may or may not have been true at that time, I really cannot say. What I can tell you is that wifi calling works on the HTC 10 now. There are no setting for it that I can find, the functionality is automatic. I am running Android 7.0 and can confirm that when I have no carrier signal but do have a fully fuctional wifi connection, when I place a call I get an icon on the notification bar that looks like a phone receiver with a wifi symbol above it to indicate a wifi call. The call is crystal clear and the feature works nicely. again I want to itterate that no setup is required, the functionality is just automatically there. I felt it was important to post this information because all other posts I have found online indicated that the HTC 10 does not have wifi calling on Sprint which as of this time is untrue and I can confirm that the feature is present and fully fuctional.
Tags (4)
16 REPLIES 16
GrandMaster

Re: HTC 10 WIFI Calling

just to fully confirm do you by chance happen to be using Google voice or anything like that as well?
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I am not using Google Voice or any other form of VOIP or SIP solution.
GrandMaster

thats odd. i know when i had the M9 i had to have it added on..it wasnt automatic. when i switched to the V20 i dont remember the care agent mentioning anything about adding it back on for the new deviec so it might just be for the line itself as long as the phone has the ability.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Some additional info that may or may not be relevant(because I honestly don't know), I purchased my HTC 10 through the Sprint web site so it is the Sprint version of the phone. Also, my current plan that I am on is called "1gb Better Choice XS-Unl 2G". The only add-ons that I have are the premium visual voicemail service and the total equipment protection plus.
GrandMaster

weird. did you have a device with Sprin prior to getting the 10? and if so did it have wifi calling activated on it? the most recent update might have brought the ability to the 10. but i havent heard of it being auto added onto a line. i'll do some digging to find out though..might be auto added on now for all i know.
GrandMaster

also to add onto the weirdness every wifi capable device i have messed with or owned had to ahve wifi calling manually turned on or off through the device itself.
Journeyman

I was indeed already a Sprint customer when I purchased the HTC 10. My previous phone was the HTC Evo 4G LTE. I don't believe the Evo had wifi calling, at least I never noticed it. As for settings on the HTC 10 regarding wifi calling, if they are there I cannot find them. I found instructions for turning the feature on for the Verizon version of the 10 but the menu options described there did not match my phone. I could not find any information indicating that the feature was available on the Sprint version. It was at this point that I decided to conduct a test to see what would happen. At home I have been using a Sprint Airave for quite a while because I live in a Sprint dead zone. I killed power to the Airave, verified that I still had zero carrier signal at home, and placed a call. I was quite suprised to see the wifi calling icon appear on my notification bar and have the call go through as clearly as it would if I had a solid carrier signal which I was able to have a coversation over without any issue. I don't know if the feature was present or not prior to the nougat update as I literally discovered this shortly before my first post. It was the lack of any information online indicating that this phone possessed this fuctionality on Sprint that made me think that perhaps I should share what I found.
Journeyman

Ok I need to admit to a mistake, I misidentified the external speaker icon for the wifi calling icon. I still made a clear call with no indication of a carrier or roaming signal but now it seems I cannot verify how the call is being routed. It could simply be that this handset handles weaker signals better than any of my previous phones.
GrandMaster

its possible. the newer handsets are also able to use HD calling as well which if im remembering right is using the 800mhz building penetration band but same deal..i'll have to double check on that one. . next go around if it shows up take a screen shot if possible..edit the pic to not show anyones contact number then post in here so we can see what it was that you were seeing.
Journeyman

Yep, it was just the icon for the loud speaker. I was turning the loud speaker on which is something I usually never do which is why I failed to recognise it for what it was. It is so similar in appearance to the wifi calling icon that I saw online in a screenshot of the carrier unlocked htc 10 that, when combined with an oddly successful call with my Airave turned off, I got excited and misidentified it. It looks like I jumped the gun big time. I sincerely apologize for the false hope. I am truly disappointed now, I really wanted that feature. Thank you for your series of questions, they made me scrutinize my conclusion more closely and realize my mistake.
Journeyman

Here's a screenshot just so you can see the icon at the top.  It's the one that looks like a phone reciever with sound waves eminating from it.  The image is unedited, I just dialed the Airave test number to establish a call so I could turn the speaker on and take a screenshot so there is no sensitive phone numbers or personal information contained within the image.

Screenshot.png

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.