cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Never ending device lease

Highlighted
Journeyman

Never ending device lease

I entered the lease 2 years ago now and was very dissatisfied with the device a year into having it so I purchased a new device from apple as I was told my only option with sprint for a new device would be to activate a second line of service and receive a new phone for that line which I was uninterested in as it still would leave a phone I have no use for and an added charge to my account every month. A few months ago I received a text from sprint saying my lease was about to end and to prepare the phone (which had been sitting it's the original box in my office for almost a year). I explored the resources on the my sprint app/ site for further explanation on what occurs at the end of the lease (very vague and did not include what to do if I just flat out do not want the device). Fast forward to end of lease this past month, logging into my sprint account immediately showcases the buy back amount of $200 for the leased device and no further instructions on any other options. This leads me to seek out help at sprint store. From past experience I am aware that I need to go to a sprint corporate store so I called sprint customer service to get a list of those locations and visited the Plymouth location as the one closest to me had sent my away years ago when I had an issue and I will never waste my time there again. The guys working at the Plymouth location told me that if I do nothing with the phone I will not be charged anything additional (as I feared I would be charged $200 automatically for a device I hated) if I want to turn in the phone/ upgrade it will be $149 as the device is considered damaged (there is a stress crack on the screen which occurred while the phone got extremely hot while charging which is a well known defect on the Samsung galaxy s5 which I said to the associate) or I could pay $212.50 to simply own the device. The guys at the store were polite and helpful but I would not have even bothered making the trip to a store if all of these options were easily spelled out on the website or there was an option to send back the phone online (there doesn't seem to be). To summarize I am left extremely frustrated as a sprint customer and am hesitant to ever lease or buy a device from sprint again as I still have no resolution to my never ending lease after putting in a ton of effort to rid myself of the phone and feel there is no motivation from sprint to keep existing customers but only to draw in new ones. Regretfully I feel as I will have to end up paying the damaged device fee and cancelling my service of about 7 years just to be done with the ordeal.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello meghanjae42.

The last thing we want is to be the cause of our customers frustration. The lease end information should have been expressed when you visited the store. We understand where you are coming from. Let me explain the process when your lease comes to an end. When customer's Lease contract ends, you have three options:

• Upgrade to a new device
  • Cancel your lease
  • Continue your lease on a month-to-month

If you decide you want to keep the device after the end of the Lease, you will have to pay the Purchase Price Option. You will then own the device and simply pay for the plan continuing service without a contract.

You mentioned that you are not using the device. Let us take a closer look at your account and help you answer any other questions or concerns you have. We sent you a Private Message, please reply to it at your earliest convenience.

Juan

Sprint Social Care

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.