Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subsidized phone charge

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Subsidized phone charge

So I noticed I got a subsidized phone charge on my bill for $25. I was wondering what this is or what does it mean??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager

Re: Subsidized phone charge

@MyMeeko wrote:

Do you consider a phone you bought outright as a "discounted phone" only because it is with a 2yr contract?

If you were required to sign a new 2 yr contract in order to receive the phone (even a phone that is $0 up front), you received that phone at a discount from the manufacturer retail price. Sprint paid the manufacturer full price but is selling it to you, or allowing a partner like Best Buy or Radio Shack to sell it to you for less than it cost from the manufacturer.  

For more information, please see our article What is the Subsidized Phone Charge

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

View solution in original post

186 REPLIES 186
Highlighted
Master

JMCAST23,

We would need to take a look at the bill in order to address your concerns.  Please send us a PRIVATE MESSAGE with your phone number, PIN or the security question answer to access your account and a description of your concern. To send a private message, please click on the Social Care avatar (icon) on the left side. Then, you should see the option to send a private message on the right side of the page. We look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you.                 

Nia

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Have these charges on my phone bill as well. because we got our phones free at one point and have opted to keep them and not upgrade sprint is charging $25 per month per line. I don't see how this is legal.  I think this is forcing people to get phones they do not need or want. My phone is fine but now I'm locked into a 2 year contract and paying 25/month for an older phone. when a new one would be cheaper. What a rip off seriously thinking about leaving sprint

Highlighted

kerrishawn1,

I see that you are upset with the Access Fees you have been charged, however depending on the plan you are on, you will see this charge. This charge is there whether or not you have a subsidized phone or a non-discounted phone. If you wish you can take a look at other plans which do not incorporate Access Fees. If you need my assistance to do so, please let me know.

Carolyn

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was told twice that since we received our phones before September 2014 we would not be charged the subsidized fee yet it is still on my bill and not removed. It better not show up after our september bill. If it does I will switch carriers.

Highlighted

kerrishawn1,

Allow me to take a look into this for you. Please send me a private message with your phone number and PIN. To send me a private message, click on my name or on the Sprint avatar. Scroll half way down and on the right hand side, you'll see the option to send me a private message.

Carolyn

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

we have the 1500 share minutes with unlimited data and texting plan that is no longer offered....are we going to be getting these fee's added at any point?

Highlighted
Journeyman

A Subsidized phone charge is the $25.00 a month fee you get charged for not leasing or buying a phone outright. Its a sneaky way of getting you to pay the same for a cheaper phone as you would for a better one. I just signed a new 2 year agreement for my daughter, and got her a cheaper phone, thinking I was saving money. Had I read the very small print buried in the 10 page pdf, I would have seen that I was getting charged the same as if I had leased a top tier phone anyway. That's why they will only answer your question in private. I thought I was getting a new phone for signing a new 2 year agreement, like I have been doing for the last 15+ years. Instead, I am paying $600.00 for a $300.00 phone. My mistake, I thought i was getting a subsidized phone, not subsidizing Sprint.

Highlighted
Master

boho14,

Hello! Thanks for taking the time to write us. We would be more than happy to look into this for you.

We can continue this conversation offline to secure your privacy. Please send us a private message with your Sprint phone number, the security PIN or the answer to the security question associated with your Sprint account.

To send a private message, please click on the Social Care avatar (icon) on the left side. Then, you should see the option to send a private message on the right side of the page.

Looking forward to your reply.

Ina.

Sprint Social Care.

Ina.
Sprint Social Care Team.
Highlighted
Journeyman

I just love how you all in the Sprint Social Care Dept always say, "We would be more than happy to look into this for you." You all know full well what the issues are without "looking into it!" What's the need for private messages when customers have the same complaint. Just address it openly so we all can get an understanding of how Sprint is loan sharking their customers.

The way I see "subsidized phone charge" is like this...

Sprint says: "Hey! I'll give you this expensive $600 phone for the discounted price of $200 cash....as a result of me doing you this favor and giving you this phone for a discount so you don't have to pay for the total cost upfront....I'm going to charge you $25 per month interest for the next 2 years for a grand total of $800 out of pocket."

However, Sprint never says that verbally...they just add it onto your bill in hopes of you never questioning it.

So after speaking a Sprint Customer Care Rep, that's the conclusion I came to concerning the subsidized phone charge.

#LoanShark

Highlighted
Journeyman

So if you got your phone before Sept 2014 there shouldn't be "subsidized phone charges" on your bill?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would love for you to reply to these messages publicly instead of privately. Unless there is something you are ashamed of explaining. The original question was "why do I have a subsidized phone charge on my bill?"  You have yet to respond and answer that question. Is there a reason why sprint needs to answer that question in private? Does one person bill with a subsidized charge have a different meaning that another bill with a subsidized charge? If the charge is the same reason for both then why not be public about answering the original question?

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.