cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking an iPhone 8

Journeyman

Unlocking an iPhone 8

Hi,

I am a current BYOD customer. Using my unlocked iPhone 6s. No issues with the phone or service. All good. 

I want to buy a new SPRINT ONLY

iPhone 8 from a friend. If I buy this phone, can I use it instead of my current iPhone 6s? If I keep my service for 45 days or more (which I will), would I have the right to have the iPhone 8 unlocked if I call Sprint customer service?

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Unlocking an iPhone 8

Once you meet our unlocking requirements it can be done. 

Sprint will unlock a device from Sprint's network under the following circumstances:

• The device is SIM Unlock capable
  • The device must be or have been active on the Sprint network for a minimum of 50 days
  • Any associated Service Agreement (or any Minimum Service Term, where applicable), Installment Billing Agreement, or Lease Agreement has been fulfilled including, but not limited to, payment in full of any applicable: 1) early termination fees, 2) accelerated installment or lease payments, and/or 3) end-of-lease purchase options. Because leased devices are not owned by the user, the end of lease purchase option must be exercised and paid in full before the SIM unlock is completed.
  • The associated account is in good standing
  • The device has not been reported as lost or stolen, associated with fraudulent activity, or otherwise flagged as ineligible to be unlocked. You can get more information via sprint.com/unlock
Journeyman

Thanks.

What does “The device is SIM Unlock capable” mean?
Journeyman

When I checked the IMEI number on the BYOD eligibility page, this is the message I received.

“Sprint service already activated
This phone has already been activated for Sprint service.”
Journeyman

It means once the phone is able to be unlocked, in some rare instances Not all devices are capable of having the SIM slot unlocked. 

Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Hey Cellando! Check out the link below for the FAQ on unlocking your device. If you've met all the requirements, we can hook you up on getting your iPhone 6s switched over to the new iPhone 8. Just reach out to us when you're ready to pull the trigger and we'll get you squared away!

https://community.sprint.com/t5/Phone-Device-Support-Articles/SOLUTION-Sprint-Hints-for-Successful-U...

"Hail Yourself!" - Ben Kissel

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.