cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fraud caused bill to stack up over months!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

fraud caused bill to stack up over months!!!

Been a sprint customer for over 12 years and for the first time I experienced fraud on my account. Someone hacked my sprint online account and added two new iPhone 7's, the highest possible gigs and leased them to my account. That was a horrible experience for me especially during the holidays. I wanted a iPad Pro for Christmas but because of this fraud, I couldn't do anything on my account, especially add a new device. I reported the fraud and soon as I noticed it but now thing was done, so I called back and reported the fraud again. Well the sprint rep told me someone would contact me about the status of the fraud claim in 5-7 business days. Of course that didn't happen, I'm assuming because of the holidays. So weeks went by and I received a message from someone claiming to be from sprint fraud department. They left a message on my phone telling me about how my account was compromised and so on. After I received the message I called sprint customer care and to my surprise, they wouldn't talk to me because I couldn't answer the security question on the account. The question they asked was the same I've always had but they kept telling me my answer was wrong. This went on for sometime, I tried to access my account online several times but continued to get blocked by these same issues. During this entire time sprint stopped communicating with me, didn't send me any bills or update me on the status of the fraud claim. They didn't even allow me to access my account online through the automated system. I couldn't even make a payment. So about a week ago sprint sent me a text message saying "your account is subject to termination please make a payment." So I called sprint and once again they didn't talk to me to even tell me what I should be trying to pay. The next day my service was off and I still couldn't talk to them about the bill. One rep in customer finance told me to go inside a sprint store to verify my identity. A few days later I went inside a sprint store and updated my account passwords and everything. I asked the rep in the store what did I owe because it came out of the blue. She told me my bill was $1304.00!!!!! Never in my life have I ever had a bill from sprint that high! I've never had my lines disconnected for nonpayment. For a long time I had auto pay setup on my account so I was never late. All my bills came by email, everything was done online. After I call to find out what's the problem and why is the bill so high, all the reps told me sprint had been billing the whole time they were investigating the fraud and even after the fraud claim was closed. They never told me about it and never allowed me to pay my bills like I normally do. Only more recently, yesterday, did they allow me access to my account online to even view the bills. All the reps told me was I needed to pay that large bill and their was nothing they could do about it. All my discounts were removed from the account and they've been over billing me for these past few months but never told me, or attempted to tell me until the bill was over $1000.00 because it's easier to get the money from me than to admit to the 3 month mistake they made on my account. All the reps I spoke to wanted me to pay immediately but told me I had to wait to see my bill in the mail. After hours of back and forth with several reps on the phone a different told me I had hotspot on my line of which I never added nor did I need or want. This tacked on an additional $50/mth, no one acknowledged that I found this out and didn't want and it probably was the initial fraud on my account. Well fraud made it clear that they were done with their investigation in December and made adjustments in December, but failed to inform me. At this point sprint is expecting me to pay $1700.00 to keep my lines active or don't pay and have a collections account on my credit for the next 7 years. This is fraud itself and should not be the policies of sprint. I've contacted a few class action attorneys to file a claim against sprint for this because I'm sure this has happened to many other people. I can't believe that this is the practice of sprint and they need to change it or they won't be around for long. Whether intentional or non intentional, they need to fix and stop exploiting their customers. Especially when they were victims of fraud! If this fraud never happened on my account, this would never be an issue. Not to mention the people that committed the fraud, still has those brand new iPhones that they might have sold by now.  

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Hi Banks0816!

Thank you for bringing this concern to our attention. It truly concerns us to see our valued customers go through this type of experience. We definitely don't want to lose you after so many years due to this inconvenience. Allow us the opportunity to look into this and remedy the situation once and for all. Please reply to the Private Message I sent you.

Michael C

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

You have to understand where they are coming from though.  I mean, you told them someone hacked your account and you're surprised they wouldn't let you change passwords, or security questions or access billing information over the phone?? Of course they won't.  They don't know that you are who you say you are because you can't answer the security question.  WHoever hacked your account probably changed it so to them, you look like the hacker.  You could have solved the billing issue at any time by going to the Sprint store and showing your ID.  Then someone at Sprint could have helped you change the security password back and you'd have been able to pay your bill there or set it up for autopay.  This isn't all Sprint's fault, so blaming them for your high bill isn't really a valid arguement.  You were still using the account, so obviously you owed money.  It's still your responsibility to pay the bill while it's being investigated, that's nothing new.. all phone companies (even landlines) do that.  If you weren't getting a bill in the mail or able to see it online, and can't verify your identity over the phone, doesn't it make sense to go to the store?

I'm sorry this happened to you, but blaming Sprint because you didn't pay your bill is kinda unwarranted.  Just sayin..

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.