cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Device unlocked - but get sim not supported

Journeyman

Device unlocked - but get sim not supported

I unlocked my sprint device to allow me to use other sims, as I travel a lot. However - after receiving the email saying it’s unlocked no other SIM cards work. I called Sprint and they told me it’s unlocked so there is nothing they can do. Any ideas how to fix this?

22 REPLIES 22

Re: Device unlocked - but get sim not supported

Hey Flipmyspork! We'll need to double-check the IMEI and if it's good, we'll be happy to help out. 

What type of phone is it? If it's an iPhone, Please send us a Private Message with the IMEI and be sure you've got access to WiFi. 

If it's an Android device, you're going to need to have a Sprint SIM card in order for the phone to receive the unlock signal, as well as a reliable WiFi connection.  

Either way, send us that IMEI and we'll be happy to help out with this!

I bought a phone from a friend that had recently paid off all owed to sprint to switch to a different career that had better reception at his home. Sprint representative said the phone was unlocked. When I tried to insert the Verizon Sim it says "Sim card not Supported" . He has tried called multiple times, chatted with representatives and visited the Sprint corporate store but no luck. Every time they said phone is 100% unlocked and they can't do anything else. I spoke to Verizon and Apple support team, they asked for IMEI number and verified my phone was not unlocked. The issue is not resolved and sprint is not accepting that my phone is not unlocked.

I've tried resetting network, factory reset, but no luck, Verizon and Apple say phone is not unlocked, Sprint says its unlocked.

I even had Verizon try two brand new SIM cards. Everything points to Sprint.  

Who do I complain to? Do I try speaking to Public Service commission? FCC? I'm at my wit's end.

GrandMaster

does it say not supported or does it say its locked to sprint and to contact sprint?

huge difference between what it says.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

It says Sim not supporte15699714605128912116672838335195.jpg

This is an iPhone xs max

Tags (1)
GrandMaster

usually unless something has changed if the phone is locked to for example Sprint it would tell you to contact Sprint.. Verizon is also a CDMA carrier and last i remembered they must add your device to their data base the same way as Sprint would have to if you brought in your own device.

GSM carriers are different which would be TMO and ATT.

then again most of the newer devices are eSIM capable so it might say something different now..

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted
Journeyman

I am also facing the same issue. I paid-off my device, based on IMEI# Sprint is confirming that the phone is unlocked. But when i insert SIM from T-Mobile, i am getting "SIM Not Supported" screen.

T-mobile is saying that my phone is still locked and Sprint is confirming that it is unlocked. I am trying to chase both Sprint and T-Mobile and I am totally frustrated now. It been more than 2 days i am doing this. 

I even tried factory reset and still the same issue. 😞

Journeyman

@Kaavman10: Is your issue resolved? I am also facing the same issue. 😞
Journeyman

Same situation here! Sprint says unlocked but  AT&T sim not supported. 6 or 8 calls from the owner to Sprint with no luck. Even tried online Keys2iphone website for $20 a week ago. No changes. I thought Sprint had to legally unlock payoff phones? What is going on here? Anyone have a fix or should I just sell this phone?

Journeyman

If sprint is confirming you that your phone is unlocked then try factory reset with your new sim inserted in the phone.
Journeyman

But pls remember to take a backup otherwise your data will be lost.
Journeyman

I have tried that and tried it one more time just for you.  Here’s a quick summary:

Sprint......It’s unlocked 

AT&T........It’s locked

Apple.......It’s locked

Old Sprint sim.....needs activated

New AT&T sim........Sim not supported

Random free website....phone status locked

thanks for the reply. Did a reset work for you?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat