cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy S10/10+/10e Perma -Roaming - The Sequel

Journeyman

Re: Galaxy S10/10+/10e - Sprint ASDA firmware update availabled

how do you know which band is doing what though?

Journeyman

so last week I switched over to Verizon.

The good news is that the phone works better, whereas it wasn't working AT ALL after week 3 of ownership on sprint. the phone went from nothing in my area to being spotty, which is better than nothing and should get my by until August when the Note 10 comes out.

I'm gonna try disabling some bands on Verizon to see if I can improve the consistency. Does Verizon still use the same bands?  BTW even though the phone doesn't work 100% I can already tell the service is way better. I get full 5 bars in a lot of places that sprint didn't. unfortunately even having 5 bars the phone still wont work completely everywhere. and I've only had 1 instance of the phone getting super hot but that was because I was watching a video at work and walked away for a few minutes and the wifi signal had died and so did the signal in general and the phone was struggling to play the video for like 5 minutes at least before I walked back to it. 

Journeyman

@ray0414 wrote:

how do you know which band is doing what though?

I'm using an app called Signal Check that constantly monitors what bands are available and the specific band the phone is currently using. I had to pay $1.99 for the version that shows the bands, but it was very much worth it to me.

Journeyman

does this app allow you to turn them on and off easier too? and show the strength of each one?
Journeyman

@ray0414 wrote:

so last week I switched over to Verizon.

The good news is that the phone works better, whereas it wasn't working AT ALL after week 3 of ownership on sprint. the phone went from nothing in my area to being spotty, which is better than nothing and should get my by until August when the Note 10 comes out.

I'm gonna try disabling some bands on Verizon to see if I can improve the consistency. Does Verizon still use the same bands?  BTW even though the phone doesn't work 100% I can already tell the service is way better. I get full 5 bars in a lot of places that sprint didn't. unfortunately even having 5 bars the phone still wont work completely everywhere. and I've only had 1 instance of the phone getting super hot but that was because I was watching a video at work and walked away for a few minutes and the wifi signal had died and so did the signal in general and the phone was struggling to play the video for like 5 minutes at least before I walked back to it. 

Without looking it up, I'm not sure what Verizon uses. If I'm not mistaken, Sprint uses 25, 26, and 41 at this time. I did notice that my phone hoped onto T-Mobile band 2 a little bit while I was traveling. I'm guessing Sprint has some kind of roaming agreement with T-Mobile. 

I sure hope Samsung doesn't do the same thing to the Note 10. I've been a huge Samsung fan since the Galaxy S3. I've never seriously considered switching away from them until now. I'm definitely going to try another S10 or two, but if I don't get a good one, I think I'll reluctantly end up going elsewhere. 

Journeyman

that reminds me. with sprint, if the phone roams, I get zero text and data and it says cannot connect. on Verizon, it's much more forgiving if I'm roaming. I'm guessing it depends which band it uses, but sometimes the data and text are super fast even when roaming and others times nothing. but overall the roaming on Verizon is a lot better than on Sprint.
Journeyman

@ray0414 wrote:
does this app allow you to turn them on and off easier too? and show the strength of each one?

It does show the strength of the signal, but I still have to go into the phone settings to turn bands off and on. Sadly, I'm getting quite proficient at it. It's really tempting to just keep this phone since 25 and 26 work so well, but my fear is, if it's a hardware problem it could get to where nothing works. 

Journeyman

what's the code again to turn the bands on and off?

My plan when the note 10 comes out has always been to keep my S10 as a 2nd phone that I use around the house or use strictly on wifi. verizones $250 bring your own device credit/promo basically paid off the $330 I owed on the phone to be able to switch.

Journeyman

@ray0414 wrote:
that reminds me. with sprint, if the phone roams, I get zero text and data and it says cannot connect. on Verizon, it's much more forgiving if I'm roaming. I'm guessing it depends which band it uses, but sometimes the data and text are super fast even when roaming and others times nothing. but overall the roaming on Verizon is a lot better than on Sprint.

I've been with Sprint for 13 years, but was with Verizon before that and loved it. I've been tempted to leave Sprint the past couple of years, due to how bad customer service has become along with all of these problems. I'm really starting to miss having a phone and service that just works. I want to love Sprint and Samsung, but they're really making it difficult to just tolerate them.

Journeyman

##72786# will reprovision the phone and turn all the radios back on. (At least for Sprint.)

Journeyman

another issue I have, which I'm not sure is related. Whenever I send or receive a text message, my wifi gets turned off. anyone ever see this? this didn't happen on my S8 or S9. it literally turns the WIFI to OFF and I turned it back on.

Journeyman

@ray0414 wrote:

another issue I have, which I'm not sure is related. Whenever I send or receive a text message, my wifi gets turned off. anyone ever see this? this didn't happen on my S8 or S9. it literally turns the WIFI to OFF and I turned it back on.

Try this - Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > "advanced" menu in upper-right > Switch to mobile data (disable this)

I've found that disabling this eliminates some flakiness. However, if you're sending MMS texts...the reason WiFi shuts off is because MMS text messages go out over the mobile network vs. WiFi. If you want to take it one step further -- enable Developer mode, set "Mobile data always active" to ON. That allows the data switch to happen more seamlessly (and quickly) when you send MMS texts.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat