cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG V20 Claimed to be unlocked in system, but constant invalid SIM

Journeyman

Re: LG V20 Claimed to be unlocked in system, but constant invalid SIM

Hi there. I'm having the same issues. However, when I call customer service, I'm told that my V20 is unlocked for international and domestic use. When I put a T-Mobile SIM in it, there is no service at all and calls cannot be made. How do I get this resolved? I can PM IMEI information to you if that helps.
Sprint Social Care S.M.A.R.T. Agent

Hi HF Boy! Please refer to this post for the info you'll also need to send in the PM for us to successfully unlock that phone.  Since it's an Android device, you will also need a Sprint SIM card so the device can receive the unlock signal. 

Tips for successful Device Unlocks

Hello. I am having the same issues with the LG V20. I followed up the procedures for the unlockment of the phone and once all was done. I went ahead and called sprint customer service to check if the devices where fully unlocked (Internationally & Domestically) and yes. I was told they where fully unlocked and it appears in sprint system as is. But when i try use another carrier sim card. It tells me there is an issue with calls, data, text messages. I have almost everything. I called sprint, T-Mobile & LG services like 20 times combined. But none can help me with the issue. 

• T-Mobile says that if my device is unlocked, the it should be able to add new APN (Access Point Networks).
  • Sprint says that the devices are already fully unlocked and they wont work with the case since i am not longer part of them. 
  • LG says they can't help with the issue since it should be the carriers problem.

Device 1:

• Can make calls, but can't access internet (Data) or text messages.
  • Doesn't have the option to add/edit an APN

Device 2:

• Can't make calls, but it can access internet data and use text messages.
  • It also has the option to add/edit an APN

Device 3: 

• Don't have it available at the moment to test it.

More: I was provided with the MSL codes per device. But i nor other carrier representatives know what to do with that.  I am basically playing PingPong with this issue. And would like the help of an expert to help me with this situation please.

Edit: Also, when i insert the new carrier sim card. It keeps activating the, "Hands Free Activation. Configuring your device for voice and data. Please Wait..." And it stays loading for a long period of time then it gives me a network error. It gets annoying every time i have to change sim cards or turn on & off the devices. 

@HELPeR_Sprint  @Cat_Sprint@Cat_Sprint  @

Community Manager

Device 1:  If you can make calls with another SIM, then the device is unlocked.  Regarding the APN, that is out of our hands for our obligation is to unlock the device.  I've seen some folks have luck by removing all SIM and editing APN after.

Device 2: If you can use data and text with another SIM, then the device is unlocked.  You may want to contact your carrier to inquire why you are unable to make calls.

Device 3: No clue

The MSL is unnecessary for DSU devices.  We provide that for non-DSU device manufactured prior to February 2015.

The Hand Free Activation is going to appear because the device has a Sprint ROM and is doing what it is programmed to do and that's to program for Sprint.  Of course, you get the error because the device is not active on Sprint.

@radames_m wrote:

Hello. I am having the same issues with the LG V20. I followed up the procedures for the unlockment of the phone and once all was done. I went ahead and called sprint customer service to check if the devices where fully unlocked (Internationally & Domestically) and yes. I was told they where fully unlocked and it appears in sprint system as is. But when i try use another carrier sim card. It tells me there is an issue with calls, data, text messages. I have almost everything. I called sprint, T-Mobile & LG services like 20 times combined. But none can help me with the issue. 

• T-Mobile says that if my device is unlocked, the it should be able to add new APN (Access Point Networks).
  • Sprint says that the devices are already fully unlocked and they wont work with the case since i am not longer part of them. 
  • LG says they can't help with the issue since it should be the carriers problem.

Device 1:

• Can make calls, but can't access internet (Data) or text messages.
  • Doesn't have the option to add/edit an APN

Device 2:

• Can't make calls, but it can access internet data and use text messages.
  • It also has the option to add/edit an APN

Device 3: 

• Don't have it available at the moment to test it.

More: I was provided with the MSL codes per device. But i nor other carrier representatives know what to do with that.  I am basically playing PingPong with this issue. And would like the help of an expert to help me with this situation please.

Edit: Also, when i insert the new carrier sim card. It keeps activating the, "Hands Free Activation. Configuring your device for voice and data. Please Wait..." And it stays loading for a long period of time then it gives me a network error. It gets annoying every time i have to change sim cards or turn on & off the devices. 

@HELPeR_Sprint  @Cat_Sprint@Cat_Sprint  @

Journeyman

@Em_Will_I_Am 

So in short. I am screwed either way. I been with sprint for 12 years. It's a shame i had to leave like this. Not because of the service. But because the signal sucks.

Guess i got no other option but to buy a new phone. Xiaomi it is. 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat