cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bluetooth tethering

Highlighted
Journeyman

Bluetooth tethering

I have Bluetooth tethering setup with my laptop, but when I try to tether I get it says it's blocked by the carrier. I don't need a WiFi hotspot, just a simple tether for a single device. Is this possible without paying $30 a month for the hotspot service?

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Master

JAMMROCK,

Thanks for the post. Sorry to hear your having so much trouble with this. At this time Sprint no longer supports phone as a modem any longer. There is no way to tether your device to a pc for internet access.

Victor
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

It's not really "phone as modem" in the traditional sense. It's a new feature of WP8 GDR3. The actual internet connection is shared over the Bluetooth connection with no modem software required.

Once the phone and Win8.1 system are connected via Bluetooth the phone shows up in the wireless networks list like an ordinary wireless access point. You then click on the connection, the network tunnel is made via Bluetooth, and then the Win8.1 system can access the Internet via the phone's carrier connection. I guess you could describe it as a 1-to-1 hotspot via Bluetooth.

Do a web search for "wp8 gdr3 bluetooth internet sharing" and you'll see the details of the new feature.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Are you sure you cannot use a HTC 8xt or Samsung ATIV for internet sharing? I used it with no problem on my 8xt, but I just bought the ATIV and Sprint has been charging me 19.99/month for 2 gigs.

Why would you offer there service and charge the customer if it is not available?!

I have not been told that it is not available, although I cannot get it to work on my Samsung ATIV.

Highlighted
Master

FIRSTNAMEM1KE

Are you referring to the personal hotspot that's 19.99 for 2 gigs?

Shay
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Jammrock - the 8XT was not developed to do the BT tethering nor will it do cabled tethering.  One of the many drawbacks to "updating" to a new piece of hardware.  The Nokias do it.  I've even worked with HTC technicians and they have told me the same thing.  I'm now looking at moving back to my Q9c so that I'm able to do this.

For others on this post, BT or cabled tethering is not internet sharing; rather it's data streaming which I've been doing for years with my Motorola.  In this manner you don't have or need the complexity or costs of mobile hotspotting your phone.  The Win Phone offerings from Sprint sorely lack much as far as tech goes.  They gave us just enough to satisfy the Windows users and that was it..  Don't try to seriously use it for tech as the hardware lacks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

It's built into WP but Sprint blocks it because they want you to pay twice for the same thing. I had to hack my last phone to get it working but haven't been able to find a hack for the Neo.... Yet! 

Highlighted
Master

Dialm4speed - Thanks for posting. If you need further assistance, we're here to help you. - Brenda Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Well Brenda do us Windows phone users a favor and pass this on to your corporate masters.... UNBLOCK THE INTERNET SHARING FEATURE OF WINDOWS PHONE!!!!! 

Thank you for your assistance.

Highlighted
Master

It's built into ALL phones not just WP phones and ALL carriers block it unless your on a plan that has it.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Is that right?? I don't go through a lot of phones, I tend to keep them for years or until they stop working so I haven't noticed. Still what sense does it make to remove features from the devices?

Highlighted
Master

Just one more way for the carriers to make money. Allot of people were thinking the same thing as you when Android added it natively a while back as part of Jelly Bean. Then when the carriers got it, it was removed.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat