Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LTE Issues

Highlighted
Journeyman

LTE Issues

I have been having issues with 4G LTE while at work. It is in a building, so I don't expect perfect data connections, but it seems like it has gotten really bad since the last week or two. I got with chat support and they confirmed that there were no outages and had me do the whole ## thing to reprovision it or whatever you want to call it, but that didn't help. They suggested a factory reset, but I'm running the dev preview and there are known issues with doing this.

With that said, I started searching the net for others with the same issue and I came across a discussion on Sprint's LG G2 section where people were having a similar issue. Towards the end, a Sprint Rep confirmed that there was an issue with Circuit Switch Fallback on Spark phones:

"Thanks for reaching out. You’re correct, there is a known issue with Spark Capable devices, which includes the G2. There is an issue with the devices being able to toggle between LTE and 3G. We are currently working close with the manufacture on a fix for this issue. In the meantime please try to toggle airplane mode on and off. This will force the phone to find a fresh connection. You may also want to change your devices network mode to CDMA only when in a non LTE area. This should help to stabilize your connection to the network while we work on a resolution."

I'm pretty sure the Neo isn't a Spark phone, but seems to be a similar issue. My phone will have the 4G symbol all day long, but will never once load Google.com in the mobile browser, which even 3G should be able to do in an instant. But, if I go into my settings and switch the SIM settings to CDMA only, 3G kicks in and I'm able to surf the web all day. I'm glad that I can at least do that and be able to check mail and FB and all of that, but it is kind of a pain to have to do that.

What is even more weird is that I seem to recall it falling back to 3G on its own before, but all of a sudden stopped and hasn't done it in several weeks. Also, I don't have the dropped calls that the G2 users were having, but I hardly ever talk on the phone so who knows. When I am able to get a good 4G LTE signal, everything works fine.

6 REPLIES 6
Master

Hello halear,

There are gaps in coverage within our estimated coverage areas that, along with other factors both within and beyond our control (network problems, software, signal strength, your wireless device, structures, buildings, weather, geography, topography, etc.), will result in dropped and blocked connections, slower data speeds, or otherwise impact the quality of services.

When you find yourself not having a sufficient signal then turn off the connection optimizer and set the settings to CDMA only. This will allow you to complete the call or use the device.

Thanks, Sharon Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't mean to be rude, but if you had read my post then you would know that I already figured out that I can set it to CDMA only to get it to work. I know it's not your fault and there is nothing you can do about it, but I at least wanted to raise awareness that there is either a problem with your network or the hardware in some of your phones that prevent them from automatically switching between signals like they are supposed to.

I know it's not a coverage problem since 3G works fine. I understand that LTE uses a different spectrum and possibly different radios, so may not be as strong as 3G. The problem is that the phone should be smart enough to say, "Oh hey, I'm barely getting any LTE signal so I need to fall back to CDMA" but instead it sits on 4G all day long and just gives me the "Page cannot be displayed" whenever I try to go to any webpage. That is until I set it to CDMA only, then it loads fine even it if is a little slow.

That tells me that there is either a problem or I'm being throttled on 4G so that even though the signal is strong (which is why it stays on 4G), the data is just blocked. If it was truly a signal strength issue, it would fall back to 3G or just load slow but eventually load.

PS, I have tried rebooting, turning airplane mode off and on, ##...# to reprovision, checked the newsroom and all of the other suggested solutions

Highlighted
Master

halear,

I agree with you. Once you are encountering such issue, the problem lies somewhere. I would like to take a look in the area where you are experiencing this problem. May I have the nearest cross streets and zip code? Are you having this issue only at work or other locations?

- Michelle
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Honestly, I haven't done enough testing to say for sure, especially since I mainly use data at work and WiFi at home. I can say that I have only noticed it where I work though. I have strong 4G at my house, so even when I'm not on WiFi, I don't experience this.

Also, I noticed that it affects my WiFi too. For example, I got to work this morning and it was sitting on 4G even though WiFi was turned on (I have noticed my phone not auto connecting to WiFi the last couple weeks but thought it was just the companies WiFi) and I went into my SIM settings to set it to CDMA only so that I'll be able to use my data throughout the day. As soon as I changed the setting, WiFi connected to the WiFi network.

West Street & Harry, 67209

Highlighted
Master

halear - Thanks for the info. There were some recent outages on your tower that have been closed. Though the outages have been closed, I slow that your tower is running pretty low. I have alerted out techs to this issue. - Sean
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, I was wondering if there was a problem with a tower close by or something. When I spoke with a rep on chat support last week, they said that they didn't see any outages or any problems, so I was worried that it was a problem that couldn't be fixed. Please let me know if they are able to fix the issue with it running low and I'll let you know if the signal has improved.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat