cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No voicemail indicator (visual voicemail or standard)

Journeyman

No voicemail indicator (visual voicemail or standard)

I picked up the ATIV S Neo on Friday (then you dropped the price by $100 on Monday, so, BIG FREAKIN' THANK YOU for that...  /sarcasm ).   But to make matters worse, I just paid $200 for a phone that doesn't work as a phone!  I do not receive a voicemail indicator.  My Windows Phone 7 / HTC Arrive device always received voicemail notifications.  But the ATIV S Neo doesn't show anything on the "voicemail" Live Tile, or in the "phone dialer" app (typically a voicemail indicator appears in the lower left hand corner, at least it did on the Arrive).  The Visual Voicemail app that is preloaded also doesn't appear to do much of anything at all, even after applying the latest updates from the Windows Phone Marketplace (app store).  I couldn't care less if Visual Voicemail worked, but to not know when I have voicemails????  C'mon.  Voicemail indicators have been a part of cell phones longer than LCD screens themselves!  The voicemail is also an issue on the other WP8 device, the HTC 8x, but the thread below has been locked.  I guess that means "we're tired of hearing about it, but we're not going to fix it."  That's the signal it gives to customers anyway.
http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/126869?tstart=0&

First we wait a full six months longer than any other carrier to get a Windows Phone, they finally arrive, us early adopters who have been waiting get SLAPPED IN THE FACE by a price reduction after a mere 10 days on the market, then come to find out the phone isn't even fully functional.

It's damn near worth the $300+ ETF just to walk away from Sprint.  I've never been so irritated in my life.

66 REPLIES 66
Journeyman

Re: No voicemail indicator (visual voicemail or standard)

Yep this is a huge problem and a show stopper for me.  Sprint has told me they are aware of the problem but I'm not even sure enough people have complained to get it to a 'known' issue so I don't know how hard they are working on a solution yet.  I've been told they are waiting on Microsoft for a hotfix but they have no idea when it will happen.  They still haven't solved it for the 8xt and that was released a good while ago now.  This is totally unacceptable.

A workaround for the time being is to enable the auto forward to email function in visual voicemail app.  That way, when you do get a voicemail, you'll get an email right away and that notification should be pushed to your device instantly (depending on how you have your email setup).  At least you'll get some sort of notification then.

Journeyman

I tried that, I receive an error message that the server is unreachable (or something similar - I'd check but my office is actually a dead zone and I can't check right now).  But thanks for the tip, I'm sure it'll help others!

Journeyman

Yeah I receive an error about being unable to connect to server or something every time I try to save/update settings on that autofoward to email screen.  It eventually does save (even though i get an error) and works.

Journeyman

Thanks for the tip!

Journeyman

I have a new Samsung ATIV S Neo, everything is up to date - I'm having the same problem: there is no indicator of voicemail. I'm particularly interested in the regular voicemail icon (the one that looks like a little cassette tape). On my old HTC Arrive this indicator would show the number of new voicemails, and  worked perfectly.  From reading other threads on this problem, I can see this has been going on since, at least, January (I thought the WIN 8 phones just came out!!)? The HTC phone is having the same issue.  Quick Status indicator, for VM, is not working either!

This is a very basic feature, why isn't this problem fixed yet?  It's incredible that Sprint won't/can't do anything about this!

I don't believe Sprint cares about the Windows phone, and doesn't put resources behind supporting it (the salesman in the store didn't even know how to do the first time set-up!).  (PS - thanks Sprint for the price reduction a few days after I bought it!  Also, thanks for notifying me that the phone was even available ... I was on the email list to be "the first to know", but didn't get an email about the new WIN phones until they had been out for a few weeks!).

Journeyman

Both in customer service calls and here on the forums, we are totally ignored.  This is offensive, insulting, and frankly, genuinely disheartening.

Sprint needs to understand that I have so much hope and faith - even though I live in an area that still has a "1x" signal (not 3G, and NO 4G FOR LITERALLY HUNDREDS OF MILES) - I believe so much in their "unlimited bandwidth" promise that I hold out hope that the network in my area will improve (or they'll at least strike a roaming deal with Verizon Wireless, who has 4G here).  I waited for the phone I wanted specifically for the same reason - I really like the "Ecosystem" Microsoft has built around Windows 8, Windows RT, Windows Phone 8, and Xbox Live.  But for a phone to be delivered like this, and for serious complaints to be completely ignored both by customer support and even in these forums?  Poor show, Sprint, poor show.

Edit: and anyone who wants to check my claim about 4G, just search zip code 16407.  It does show on the map as "3G and more" but that's because they don't acknowledge that there is still 1x coverage on their maps.

Journeyman

Obviously Sprint is late to the game with WP8 devices and I agree that so far they seem to care little about their success but...back to the voicemail.

I have done some searching and I see this is an issue with many WP8 phones with all carriers and I wonder if at this time it might be more of a Windows issue.

But, I do get a pop up 'bar' alert at the top of screen when I get a VM but no icon sadly. I do have the Visual Voicemail tile on my start screen and that seems to accurately display new messages with a small number on the tile so that is ok for now. But sure, I get it and agree with the premise of the thread. This is pretty basic functionality that is needed.

Journeyman

I tried talking to Sprint and got the same result of known issue and that was about it.  I had set up youmail on my Arrive and it worked well, not great, but well for visual voicemail.  I went through the set up again on my Neo and it has worked better than before and I haven't had near the issues that I had with the Sprint Visual voicemail.  There isn't an official app for Youmail on Windows Phone, but the MagikMail app is a great substitute.  One catch, I'm in a good 3G and off and on 4G area most of the time so the connection has someto do with the response time and notifications on it, but it works way better than the Sprint version. Youmail also has text and email notifications that you can set up for those of you that are in 1x or slower 3G markets.

Hope that helps as a band aid for you.

Journeyman

Well I've been on several more calls with sprint and several chats and my issue is still not fixed.  No voicemail indication whatsoever when I get a new voicemail.  The last sprint chat resulted in them telling me it was a Samsung issue and they are waiting on a fix and they said I need to call Samsung for help.  They gave me Samsung's number so I tried that.  Over two days I spent 2 hours on the phone with Samsung and it was completely worthless.  They are terrible and have no idea about the Neo.  All their support people seem clueless about wp8 and kept asking if it was a galaxy. LOL!  They even had me do a hard reset and the end results (after 2 hours on calls with them) was that they said it was a carrier issue and I have to call sprint.  So I'm getting the classic runaround. 

Journeyman

On behalf of myself, and others in the same predicament, thanks for putting out that much effort!

Journeyman

The thread linked in the first post is not locked, or if it was locked, they unlocked it.

I just posted there about the same issue with the voicemail that all us Sprint WP8 customers are having.

I also have the Ativ S Neo.

This REALLY needs to get fixed!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat