cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming options grayed out on GDR3

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Roaming options grayed out on GDR3

I've heard from a source with ties to Sprint that this network fix will be pushed (for everyone at once? slow rollout?) towards the end of Q1/beginning of Q2 (which is rapidly approaching). But who (aside from Sprint programming techs) really knows? It seems to be a state secret for some unknown reason (though I suspect it's to try to manage expectations).

Master

Jeremy,

Thanks for replying. Most commonly, updates are announced via newsroom.sprint.com. As for the roll-out, it's usually in waves. Stay tuned as more information is forthcoming.

Thank You,

DePaul W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

No update in a month. What is the status? This is ridiculous.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Indeed. And I've heard/read that 8.1 preview doesn't fix the problem, either, since it's Sprint specific. Neat, huh?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey folks,

Some of you already know this, but others may not. Upgrading to the 8.1 preview does not, for most people, fix the roaming issue. Doing a factory reset after taking this update does at least SEEM to fix the issue (the options are no longer greyed out). I attempted this on of my ATIV Neo S. , Likely, this fixes this stupid ongoing problem from Sprint by essentially debranding the phone. Manually programming the MSID and MDN will allow you to text, but cellular data (incl. MMS) is disabled.

Updating the PRL/Network profile is now no longer available in the settings (again, pointing to the initial roaming problem). To fix this (hypothetically), we can get the APN settings from Sprint and input them into the phone manually. So far, folks who have talked to Sprint reps in store and on the phone have reported that no one knows what they're talking about.

So, Sprint Care, escalate this please (again) and provide the APNs to we can restore cellular data functionality.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Jeremy,

Can you use the "Settings-->activate your device" option to have your phone provision itself after your hard reset?  Is it missing from your phone or does it fail to activate?  this option will push the correct APN's and other carrier settings to your phone.

I can see all the APN's on my phone, but there isn't a good way to edit them.  Do a ##3282# and select "View", then select "Others-->MMSC URL" and all of the Sprint APN's are listed there for each feature, but there is no way to edit them from here.

wp_ss_20140421_0001.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Blue Frog,

Thanks for your reply. Using "Activate my device" fails and instead tells me to dial *2, call Sprint, etc. and they have been no help so far. (To be fair, this update issue is a MS/Sprint problem, so MS is also to blame.)

Under MMSC URL, I just have:

Registry

Home Url of IE: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=247795

(and that link is just for the generic start page for IE on WP, btw)

I have none of the menus you do, although I see where to edit them. (You need to pass various checks: MSL, MMSC URL, etc. I don't know the proper MMSC URL, so I'm stuck right now).

If you have any other info to share, please do. If not, thanks for trying!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oh, and doing a carrier reset manually (SCRTN) does not complete. Just erases my MSID and some other settings that temporarily break regular texting. I've done it a few times and restored it successfully. Just trying to get cellular data back.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Jeremy,

First off, can you connect to Wifi?  If so, connect to it and then do an "activate your phone".  I have had to do this many times in the past.

Call Sprint and ask for your MSL, if you don't have it.

Here are some values you need:

Do a ##3282# and select "Edit", input your MSL, then select "Others-->MMSC URL"  (notice all the APN settings are missing here now)

MMSC URL = http://mms.sprintpcs.com  <=picturemail

"Others LTE APN Setting"

Sprint Internet = n.ispsn, IPv4v6, Enabled  <--network data on LTE

Sprint ota = otasn, IPv4v6, Enabled  <- provisioning the phone

Sprint pam= otasn, IPv4v6, Disabled  <-  Phone as modem (leave disabled)

Save and exit.  Try to auto-activate again.

If that doesn't work, you will need an API editor installed.  (I installed Nokia's)

Let me know.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Blue,

Yes, Wifi works fine. Activate my phone still fails with the same message (I've also tried this many times).

The values look good to my eyes (thank you!!), but as of now, there is no change. Activate my device fails with the same message, and no MMS messages can be sent. Cellular data is still disabled.

Take care, and thanks!

Highlighted
Master

Jeremy (and anyone else affected), if a factory reset didn't fix it (sounds like it definitely did not), we should look at the programming in our system as well and our device team would also like an example of an affected device to check out.  If you'd be willing, please send us your phone number and a link to this thread in Private Message to SprintCare.  I do want to set an appropriate expectation, though.  As of right now, we're still investigating the problem.  We'll check the programming on our side and push a refresh to the phone, if necessary.  If that refresh is also unsuccessful, we will be sending your phone number to the device team. If everything looks correct in our end of the programming, we may be waiting until the techs come up with and push a fix.  Unfortunately, our tools don't give us access to the APN, so we wouldn't be able to provide it.

*Christy

Sprint Social Care Team

Message was edited by: SprintCare upon clarification from the Device Team

It would be best if the phone were seen at a Service and Repair facility first (it's never a bad idea).  Also, the device team likely will not reach out to you directly but may ask that you return to a service and repair facility, if appropriate.  For instance, the last major one of these investigations I participated in had to do with the S2 and the fix, when found, had to be done at a Service and Repair location because the problem turned out to be in the screen assembly.

My apologies for the confusion.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Christy,

Thanks so much for a response.  This has been a problem since October with no apparent resolutions.  As to your advice to take the phone to a "Service and Repair Facility", this is absolutely wrong advice.  I have attempted this and the repair tech refused to do any work toward resolving this if I didn't let him hard reset it first.  I printed these forums for him, and he didn't care.  He insisted that he hard reset the phone before he would even begin looking at it.  I made it clear to him that this would only make it worse, he didn't care.  No hard reset, no support.  I took my partially working phone and left.

As another point of reference, Ting (Sprint's co-company) has been researching this for a while and states very clearly: "Also, we recommend anybody who has already installed the 8.1 update to not do a hard reset. Unable to enable voice roaming on Samsung ATIV Neo : Ting Help Center   So clearly a Service Center is not the way to go with this issue, it has nothing to do with a screen assembly...

Other points to note:

1. I am completely unable to roam internationally.  I am stuck in London today with no cell service, text, or data service.  Even though I purchased an "International Data Pack", "International Calling Pack", and was assured by Sprint this bug would not affect International use, Sprint was wrong again.  When I try to text or call, it says I must enable roaming and takes me to the greyed out roaming options.

2.  This problem has existed since October and has only gotten worse.  I have called support many times, I have had my account credited for loss of service, I have visited your repair center.  Apparently no one has been working on this, opened a ticket, or taken any action.  Highly frustrating.

3.  This is easy to reproduce:

a.  Install GDR2, everything works

b.  Install upgrade to GDR3, everything works

1.  Hard reset, re-active phone, roaming is now greyed out

c.  Install 8.1, everything either works from GDR2 with no hard resets, or you have greyed out Roaming due to a previous hard reset

1.  Hard reset, and your phone won't cleanly active and provision itself any more.

4.  It would be great to have someone at Sprint working this like Ting is doing, or call them and work with them.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat