cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming options grayed out on GDR3

Highlighted
Journeyman

Roaming options grayed out on GDR3

Has anyone installed GDR3 on their ATIV S Neo?  If so, does roaming still work?  Roaming is grayed out and the options are unchangeable.  According to a friend of mine, this has to do with some kind of file that gets processed that Sprint is not sending out properly.  Anyone know what is going on?

You can see in the attachment what I'm talking about.  The settings can not be modified and it makes it so I can't roam, which is a common necessity in my area.

Thanks.

82 REPLIES 82
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Roaming options grayed out on GDR3

Man, 3 weeks with no reply?  Has no one else experienced this?  I found one person on wpcentral with the same problem, but they went dark in the forum...

Would love to know when sprint is going to update this and allow me to fully leverage the service that I pay good money for.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm having the same exact issue. Cant find any fix online and the sprint customer service people know next to nothing, especially about Windows phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I updated to GDR 3( 8.0.10521.155) and its not grayed out on mine. That was something that scared me before I did it.

Highlighted
Master

jcroynhp,

Thanks for letting me know a bit about what you have been going through. I have been trying to do some research on this issue and have found no resolution, unfortunately. Have you contacted Samsung  or Microsoft directly, since they make the updates. Please let me know.

Sean L
Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sean, from what I've been able to dig up it seems like this is an issue that Sprint could fix.  I just have no idea what is taking so long.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same issue here, Sprint Care team.Roaming option greyed out on both newly received Samsung ATIV Neo phones. The reason we don't contact MS or Samsung as you so helpfully suggest is that the phone *specifically* indicates to contact your carrier. In this case, that's you.

Highlighted
Master

tomn18

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately the manufacturer is the one that changes and designers any features that are included in any software updates so we don’t want a way to send a fix. I would recommend contacting the manufacturer and seeing if there is a work around this issue. Please keep me updated.

Roxana

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Roxana,

Thanks for the response.  Sprint could issue a fix to this problem immediately, but for some reason would rather point fingers and leave your customers unhappy.  Please keep me updated.

Tom

Highlighted
Journeyman

Roxana,

Please do not pretend that it's up to the manufacturer. Why would Samsung roll out GDR for the Neo S on At&T and not on Sprint? Why would they disable the vital feature of voice roaming? Seems against their interests, unless you seriously ticked them off somehow. Perhaps you had a subconscious (but telling) slip when you typed:

"Unfortunately the manufacturer is the one that changes and designers any features that are included in any software updates so we don’t want a way to send a fix." (emphasis mine)

The clock continues to countdown, and I doubt that the users that post here are the only disappointed customers that are soon to be ex-customers. Please keep me updated.

Highlighted
Master

Jeremy,

Thank you for your insight.  I'm sorry that you feel that the carrier's control the updates.  Each manufacturer creates and distributes the updates for devices.  The update is their product to enhance their devices.  They engineer this software product and tweek it to the specifications of the hardware and software requirements that differentiate the devices for each network.  Sprint, as well as the other carriers, want you to have access to the latest updates and improvements and we do apologize for the mis-phrasing of the answer that you quotated (we want you to have a fix).

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Although your response sounds great, it's completely false.

The manufacturer/OS maker release the updates to the carrier who then in turn push the update to the phone.  The carrier is the last step in the update approval process and since the update has already been released to the same phone on another carrier as well as Samsung's other WP8, the ATIV Odyssey, I have to believe the hold up is Sprint, not Samsung.

I might believe your response except I work in the industry and am VERY familiar with how the update process works.

I may try contacting Samsung now as I am 100% sure they will say they have released the update and are waiting for Sprint to approve.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat