cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming options grayed out on GDR3

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Roaming options grayed out on GDR3

I have the solution to another question about the Windows Phone 8.1 update 1! ( http://www.wpcentral.com/should-you-get-preview-windows-phone-81-update-1 ) you will see that everyone will get the update and Sprint will be able to send it soon as well. If Sprint, Samsung, or HTC don't send it, it will not hurt anyone to get the developer preview. NO ONE HAS HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE DEVELOPER PREVIEW! There were rumors at the beginning of the year that stated Sprint will be getting two new Windows Phones but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Also, the Summer does not really end until September. So, for those who have patients, continue to wait on Sprint. I'll just be waiting on Sprint to send patches and firmware updates to the update I already have. If you want to know how to update to the developer preview, check out my instructions here in the forums https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/788267#788267   Windows Phone 8.1 update 1 is almost here and we will be able to have unlocked Nokia Lumia phones on Sprint because President Barack Obama signed it into law ( http://www.cnet.com/news/president-signs-cell-phone-unlocking-bill-into-law/ )   The Nokia Lumia Icon on Verizon also known as the Nokia Lumia 930 looks pretty good for Sprint. If we can just get 4G with it!

Highlighted
Master

APOCALYPSEAD

Very happy you were able to get the issue resolved and receive great customer service at the same time. Thanks very much for the positive feedback. We're here if you need anything else.

- Robtisha
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

The Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1 is here!wp_ss_20140804_0001.pngwp_ss_20140804_0003.pngwp_ss_20140804_0004.png

Highlighted
Master

APOCALYPSEAD Glad to hear that your phone was able to update successfully. Should you have any concerns or questions, please feel free to reach out to us at anytime. Mirleine Sprint Social Care Team
Highlighted
Journeyman

APOCALYPSEAD

Okay, now I see you're just spamming all the forums with the same message and screenshots about the 8.1 preview. But, again, this does not fix these issues. It is irresponsible to recommend to people to jump in, given the problems that are widely documented.

Then again, it's a largely unregulated forum, so I'm not sure why I'm surprised.

Highlighted
Master

Jeremy - The windows 8.1 that is currently out right now is for developers preview only. Per Microsoft they have not released it on the phones as of yet. - RobertSprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Jeremy, The forums that I posted the 8.1 update 1 has been informative to those who wanted to know about it and who are considering updating themselves. People have the choices to update or not just like you do and did willingly knowing the possibilities of what a beta version is! If you are unhappy with your results there is a fix for that, revert back to 8.0 or go with another OS. The one major issue you and others were having issues with has been fixed. Those customers had applied it and now they are up and working. IF and when Sprint, Samsung, and HTC decide to send the firmware, everyone with Windows Phone 8.1 developers preview update 1 will get the same update. The Summer ends mid September. What you have failed to realize due to your unhappiness is, there have been fixes to those problems because people have pointed it out and Microsoft have fixed it for the beta. Have you seen one fixed I forward here from another customer who was having the same problem and had it fixed with the help of a Sprint rep? Sprint, Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile customers have had few issues that Microsoft has fixed. Being bitter will not fix a problem but looking for solutions will. There have been solutions that have been widely documented and I have posted links as evidence.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think the informative part may be a stretch, or be informative in other ways you didn't intend.

Sadly, you can not revert back to 8 without flashing the csc, which the manufacturers and carriers tend to frown upon.

As for going with another OS, I like the WP OS. It's just the support that has been uniformly bad. Considering I bought two of these phones, switching OSes isn't a cheap thing, at least to me. I just want to get what I paid for. But perhaps you were offering to buy me two new phones? Thanks!

I'm still awaiting the firmware update to address the camera issue, and it's well documented here on Sprint's site that it's been out since February. I have received zero official updates on either phone, ever.

Firmware needs to match the OS version, too, which may be confusing to some people.

I tried that one fix you posted from another user. (I must have missed all these other solutions you posted.) Anyway, it did not work, though maybe it worked for others - I'm not discounting that at all! I can tell you I've been through support with MS, Samsung, and Sprint for dozens of hours. With perhaps three exceptions over 8 months, I know more about the phone then they do. That's more a statement of the general ignorance surrounding the OS than my intelligence. In fact, the most knowledge people seem to be unaffiliated with MS, Sprint, or Samsung!

What I am saying is that proclaiming everyone to jump to 8.1 preview or whatever as the answer to everything is irresponsible. While you can certainly have the freedom to say what you want, I just wanted to warn people to do their research.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with Jeremy. You are falsely proclaiming that "NO ONE HAS HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE DEVELOPER PREVIEW" yet there are several different unresolved issues, especially with the Ativ S Neo, depending on when you did a factory reset.

Take my Neo for example; I installed 8.0 GDR3 with the Developer Preview and then did a factory reset to make sure everything was fresh and clean. Afterwards, my roaming options were greyed out and now my phone is still useless while roaming. Afterwards, articles started showing up with others having the same problem and there still hasn't been a fix other than flashing back to the stock ROM. Others had different issues if they did a factory reset after 8.1, one of which you posted another users solution to.

There is a HUGE difference between "no one has had a problem" and "there have only been a couple of problems." I'm glad that you are trying to help people get the latest updates (since obviously Sprint will never release them), but to make it sound like nobody will ever run in to a problem is asking for someone to screw themselves over.

It wouldn't be so bad if the official updates were released in a timely manner, but I have been patiently waiting for about 9 months for my issue to be officially fixed (luckily I don't roam much). I was hoping that when Sprint released the official GDR3 update that my issue would be fixed, but we all know how that turned out. I'm hoping the same for the official 8.1 update and if that doesn't come through, I'm done with this mess.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The problem will continue to be there even when Sprint sends the official 8.1 update or there will be some features missing. Well lets say there may be some modding done by Sprint.

It has been stated in different sources and I have stated that updating to the developers preview may void your warranty. I'm quite sure people who updated do know the possibilities and consequences of updating to a BETA.

I know people are afraid of bricking their phones, but no one has and I hope no one never runs into that problem. There are fixes out there documented that have worked for some people but I guess some haven't had good luck. It's good that people are getting it fixed and the number of people who had problems are getting smaller.

Hopefully Sprint, Microsoft, and OEMs will get programmers to address the major issues and release the update before the end of the Summer in September. When Sprint announce something being released in a broad range like Summer, Winter, Fall, or Spring, Majority of the time its released at the end of that time frame. I rather hear it as a rumor from other tech sites so my hopes don't get to high, and I can be excited knowing there's a possibility of it happening without being impatient of expectations coming from the true source Sprint!  

I'm curious about the camera bug! I want everyone to have a great experience with the OS like I'm having, but getting little help with problems from people who should know the answers can be frustrating. Windows Phone has good market share in other countries, but its slowly growing in America. I'm guessing once the market share gets bigger here in the USA, we will have better support. At the moment Windows Phone is the 3rd largest OS globally.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No one hasn't had a problem once updating to the developer preview. Its only after some people performed a hard reset that they noticed problems. I have performed a hard reset and I have not been affected. I would advise everyone to reframe from doing a hard reset until the issues some people are having is resolved. I want the best for everyone. Have you updated to 8.1 update 1?

Highlighted
Journeyman

APOCALYPSEAD wrote:

No one hasn't had a problem once updating to the developer preview.

Exactly. "No one hasn't..." Again, while I'm sure SprintCare (and Samsung) really appreciate your efforts on spin, almost all of your posts are misleading. I suggest users search wpcentral, xdaforums, or wmpoweruser for accurate information while still checking back here for official announcements, when they arrive (even some of the official announcements here are wrong - refer back to the firmware vs. OS announcement by Sprint 5 months ago).

ApocalypseEAD, I'm not going to argue with you anymore on this, yet I get a sense you are truly trying to help. All the same, I suggest folks educate themselves instead of blindly following anyone's advice!

I feel I've done my duty to other users here on the Sprint forums, so unless I see someone else in dire need, I'm out.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat