cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update to GDR 3

Journeyman

Re: Update to GDR 3

Victor,

I'm trying out a Sprint MNVO who are trying desperately to get you to help them out. They have great customer support that try and find solutions. In any case, the issues are the same with many everyone here on these forums, as you well know. I don't want to hijack the thread about GDR3, but to answer your question:

1. Voice roaming disabled on this phone and the HTC 8x (both WP8), which is a huge deal. Data roaming is as well, but that isn't vital to me at least.

2. Delayed GDR3 roll-out. Samsung has had GDR3 official out for months for this phone on AT&T, so why would they delay it for Sprint?

3. Visual Voicemail broken despite multiple resets (no notifications for voicemails - something all the feature phones I've had over 8 years have done no problem with no data charges). The fact that this is the voicemail app we have to use (since you disabled the native WP8 voicemail notification functionality) is stupid. I have to manually launch it, use data, just to see if I have voicemail? Nevermind the documented sporadic delays in receiving voicemail (hours to days).

4. Phone freezes after taking a picture with the default pre-loaded camera app. Dumb dumb dumb,

Other posts have shown that most Sprint Service and Repair shops don't have the in-house technical knowledge to deal with these issues, anyway - many knowledge users on these forums and elsewhere have tried and failed. These are issues that Sprint (or, if I buy your line, Sprint and Samsung) must deal with on the top level.

In 10 days or so, I'll be returning these phones and leaving Sprint if things aren't fixed. And everything I've heard up until now has hinged upon GDR3, and no one - including Sprint, amazingly - knows when that is coming. It was worth a try, I suppose! Just too bad, since the phone hardware and OS itself are pretty sweet. Maybe I'll be surprised, though, and Sprint will help make this phone work on Sprint's network!

Master

jm02466wp, 

Thank you for the response. Once information on the update is released it can be found by visiting www.Sprint.com/newsroom. In regards to the 4GLTE in your area, I see that the towers servicing both areas are equipped for 4GLTE. Have you attempted to update your data profile and power cycle your device to see if these steps help? Please let me know. 

Charles G. 

Sprint Social Care Team 

Journeyman

Looks like there's good news on the horizon for those of us awaiting the release of GDR3 for the Ativ S Neo...

Link Per WPCentral:

Update 3 now available for the Samsung ATIV S Neo on Sprint | Windows Phone Central

Link Per Sprint:

http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Find_and_update_the_software_version_on_your_Samsung_ATIV_...

I've yet to receive the update as of this post (even after manually checking).  But, the Sprint link does say that it'll probably take a few days to roll out.  This is still good news, though.

Journeyman

It looks like the group text _might_ be fixed, but my roaming options are still blacked out.  Really ridiculous that this is still ongoing.

Journeyman

This is good news.  Thanks.  Anybody know if this official release fixes group messaging and voice mail indicator problems?

Journeyman

Well, I can confirm that while my Neo did update, it was only a firmware update from 2216.13.07.6 to 2216.14.01.2.  GDR3 was not part of the update I received.  Based on the comments section of the WPCentral article, others are experiencing the same thing (just firmware updated and not the OS/GDR3).  However, a few have commented that they were able to update successfully to GDR3.  So, I'm not sure what's going on here.  The Sprint link clearly states that GDR3 is supposed to be part of the update:

"

• Fix for SIM contact notification in the people app
  • Updates Microsoft software to GDR3
  • Special software build to address a customer issue with the camera

"

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yea it looks like a mistake on the site.  My software version hasn't changed and is still the dev preview revision.  Still, group texting is back 🙂

Journeyman

Mistake in wording, anyway. The number they posted in clearly a FW number, despite what they claim. But hey, if it fixes some things (camera crashes, group text), then great! Haven't received it yet myself, so I can't say personally.

Journeyman

Looks like there is finally some progress being made here.  Quite late, but nonetheless excellent.

However, shouldn't word on this have come directly from Sprint first?  I see at least 5 posts on other sites/blogs breaking this news, yet still nothing from Sprint representatives has shown up in these Community threads nor in the Sprint newsroom.

WMPoweruser: http://wmpoweruser.com/sprint-samsung-ativ-s-neo-gets-gdr3-update/

WPCentral: http://www.wpcentral.com/update-3-now-available-samsung-ativ-s-neo-sprint

WinBeta: http://www.winbeta.org/news/windows-phone-8-update-3-rolling-out-sprint-ativ-s-neo

WinSource: http://winsource.com/2014/02/06/gdr3-samsung-ativ-s-neo/

Softpedia: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sprint-s-ATIV-S-Neo-Starts-Receiving-Windows-Phone-8-Update-3-424422....

Master

Finally_Windows,

Thanks for posting. I simply wanted to follow up with you to see if you tested out both your Group Messaging and your Voicemail indicator? I've come across of few post indicating they were fixed. Wanting to know if these fixes are evident on your device.  Please keep us posted if these two feature indicators are working for you.

Thank You,

DePaul W.

Sprint Social Care Team 

Journeyman

Hi DePaul W.-  The GDR3 update fixed the group messaging and roaming was not grayed out.  However, the voicemail indicator was not fixed.  When a voicemail is left on my phone, it shows "1" in the phone live tile.  When I click on the notification, it only shows as missed call, and not as voicemail.  Then I have to check voicemail to see if anyone actually left a message.

Journeyman

Hi,

I received the update and the camera piece appears to be fixed.  No GDR3 and the voicemail indicator on the lock screen isn't fixed.

thanks!

-Droptini

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat