cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Wallet and NFC to Make In-Store Purchases

Highlighted
Journeyman

Using Wallet and NFC to Make In-Store Purchases

I'm not sure if this is important for most people, but one of the features I was looking forward to when getting the Neo was the ability to use Wallet and NFC to make in-store purchases at stores that accept the tap payments.  According to what I've read, this is possible with certain configurations: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/how-to/wp8/basics/wallet-faq  "And if your service provider and phone support it, you can even set up credit or debit cards to make NFC purchases in stores. (This requires a special, secure SIM card.)"

I'm going to assume that this is currently not supported on Sprint's Neo based on the following.  "The easiest way to check and see if your phone supports NFC transactions is to go to your Wallet settings. In Wallet, tap More More icon, and then tap Settings+PIN. If you don't see an option to turn on "NFC transactions," then your phone doesn't support it."  I don't see the option.

Does anyone know if this is possible on the Neo?  I was really looking forward to having this feature.

47 REPLIES 47
Highlighted
Wizard

Thanks for reaching out to us regarding the Wallet on the new ATIV S Neo.  I've checked our product database and the device should be able to use this feature.  Here's the FAQs that I found regarding the Wallet:

Answers to some of your questions regarding Wallet.

• What is Wallet?  Wallet is an application you can use to securely store cards and coupons, on your ATIV S Neo.
  • What can I store in my Wallet?   Credit or debit cards can be added to purchase apps, games and other content from the Windows Phone Store. 

You can also store loyalty and membership cards for use at grocery stores, restaurants, libraries, gyms, and more.

Browse for coupons on Bing or add your own coupon codes manually.

• How do I avoid making accidental purchases, or to keep other people from using my Wallet?  Information stored in your Wallet is secured using a numeric PIN. A PIN is required when making payments using NFC, or when purchasing an app from the Windows Phone Store.
  • How do I use my Wallet?  Payments can be made using NFC (Near Field Communication), at businesses that provide NFC payment terminals. 

With NFC enabled, tap your device to a payment terminal, then enter your numeric PIN to initiate payment.

Businesses can scan your loyalty and membership cards right from your device.

Here's what I got from the userguide to Turn ON/OFF the Wallet PIN (userguide page 86):

Wallet

Configure settings for using Wallet to purchase items.

1. From Start, swipe left toApps, and then tap (cogwheel) Settings

2. Swipe left or right to display Applications, and then tap wallet

3. Configure options:

-Wallet PIN:  Tap ON/OFF switch to turn the option On or Off.  When turned On, your phone uses the PIN you set at Store settings to protect us of Wallet.

-Use Wallet Pinto protect music, app, and in-app purchases:  Tap to enable or disable the option.  When enabled, you purchases are protected with the Wallet PIN.

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks

*Darryl

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Darryl,

Thanks for the response.  There is a related posting in the HTC 8XT forum that I found: http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/126850 .  While yes, the guide does state that it's "possible" to make NFC payments, that option does not appear to be enabled on the Neo.  The screen shot in that 8XT related post is the same on the Neo as the 8XT.  There is no option to turn on NFC Payments in the Neo (see attached picture below of what I found on the Internet of the option I'm referring to).

From the Windows Phone site I attached in my original post: "The easiest way to check and see if your phone supports NFC transactions is to go to your Wallet settings. In Wallet, tap More More icon, and then tap Settings+PIN. If you don't see an option to turn on "NFC transactions," then your phone doesn't support it."

This is the picture I found on the Internet of what I should see if NFC was available.  The NFC Payments option is not there on the Neo.

wallet_nfc.jpg

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'd be interested in finding out how or if anyone gets this working. 

Highlighted
Wizard

KIDGEOCITIES,

I'm reaching out to our internal community to see if there's another workaround or updates on this situation.  I'll keep you posted with any info I get back.

Thanks

*Darryl

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Have you heard anything on this?  Can we at least get a statement that NFC payments on Windows Phone using the built in wallet application is/is not planned on being supported by Sprint in the future?

Highlighted
Wizard

Here's an update on what was provided internally:

"While every Windows Phone 8 has a Wallet Hub, not all support NFC transactions. The easiest way to check and see if your phone supports NFC transactions is to go to your Wallet settings. In Wallet, tap More More icon, and then tap Settings+PIN. If you don't see an option to turn on "NFC transactions," then your phone doesn't support it.

At the moment, only a small number of mobile operators offer phones that support this feature. However, we're working hard to get additional mobile operators on board, and we expect the number of Windows Phones that support NFC transactions to grow.

The Samsung ATIV S Neo doesnt support NFC payments right now."

Hopefully this will change on a future update.

*Darryl

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Darryl,

Thanks.  That text comes from the Windows Phone site (I've read it there before).  Do you know if it's a matter of getting a secure SIM card to have the feature enabled?  If so, has anyone tested to see if that would get it to work on the Neo?  If not, are there any plans to have this enabled on the Neo?

Highlighted
Wizard

I haven't heard anything from our internal community if a secure SIM card would help or not.  The enablement of NFC on the device has been brought to the attention of the developers but no info has been released back to us.  We're hoping there be future plans for it to be enabled in a maintenance release.

*Darryl

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

So, Apple announces the Apple Watch today with it having the ability to be used to make purchases.  I just want my phone to be able to do that for about a year now.  *sigh* 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just like Internet sharing blocked by Sprint! As a result I don't even bother with the wallet anymore. Strange thing is most of the time those tap to pay machines don't even work so I don't know why companies push this.

Highlighted
Master

DIALMSPEED,

Greeting! Glad to have you on board today. Let me know what questions you have.

Laurel
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat