Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I talk and text or receive messages while taking on my s8+

Highlighted
Journeyman

Can I talk and text or receive messages while taking on my s8+

18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted

LandonStatis, we all feel your frustration, trust me. I was on vacation when my credit card company called to verify a possible fraud transaction. Needless to say, I couldn't look up my account to double-check while on the call and in a near panic, but was able to use my wife's phone for internet or had her to turn on Hot-Spot to verify it was indeed my purchase.  Later, I learned through this forum that I can make calls using Hangouts Dialer that allow me to continue accessing the internet as well as receiving picture messages while on a call.

While we're all ready to jump ship due to a single technical issue, we often forget that we're paying an extremely low monthly price compared to other carriers. Over the years, I've tried each one and found NONE are perfect!  There's Give & Take with each one of them.  I hope you stay and share your experience with the newbies about the days before VoLTE went LIVE.

Highlighted

@LandonStatis the S8+ has whats called Calling Plus..which means as long as you are connected to LTE you can make calls and browse the web/send texts..as you pointed out you were able to do this with your Verizon phone before..thats great..but even they had to make adjustments to their network in order for the newer phones like the S8+ that are tri band so they could do this again..which they are still deploying..TMO is a GSM network and has always had this ability..as does ATT..who is also a GSM network. but the same rules apply..if you are on a data call and you drop from LTE to regular 3G you would loose that call...if you started for whatever reason with a call over 3G then it would continue to be a 3G call and not allow you to both talk and browse at the same time..because it didnt start off as a data call..which LTE is needed for that to happen.
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

With Calling Plus on I have been able to be on a call plus surf the web as well so I know this feature does work. 🙂 

Highlighted

works pretty great on the G6 as well 🙂
I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Highlighted

i think im confused as to why Sprint is the only carrier having this issue, I just switched from Verizon and before that I was with At&T and was able to use that feature on both of them, I didn't pay anything more or extra for my phone either so why is Sprint making it seem as if its something new? had I known this then I never would've switched, people use their phone for navigation and talking or several simultaneous things for this to not be available, is this going to be a reason sprint uses for the need to get a new handset or change the rates on calling plans now? If I just purchased an Iphone x and this VOLTE drops in the fall will I be required to buy a new phone or pay more for this feature?

Highlighted

VoLTE is not an add on feature..so no you wouldnt be paying more to use it.

only thing im now aware of is at what point which phones will be able to use it and which wont. not sure what the break off is.

as for ATT...they are a GSM carrier..which has had VoLTE for a VERY long time..hence being able to do both calls and browse at the same time..depending on when you were with V would help narrow down why you were able to do it with them.

Highlighted

I have just received an update on the phones. Phones that were made in 2017 and 2018 will see the benefits of 5G the best. Since you just purchased an iPhone X, you should be fine.

RedCruzr
Social Care 

Queen of Unlocks and Billing Questions. Samsung for Life!!
Kudos and Accepted Solutions are welcomed and appreciated.
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat