ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS

Patron

Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS

Honestly, I can't remember if I'd ever set up a google voice account.  I hadn't set one up with this phone, that I'm aware of.

Journeyman

Re: Can Not Receive Voicemail, Only Voice SMS

you can check. just go to www.google.com/voice then log in using your google ussername and pword.

Wizard

I'm more inclined to think it's caused by GO SMS because the voicemail notification comes in as a text message. The default messaging app intercepts this and displays as notification, rather than a text message. I cannot find an option in the GO SMS settings to do likewise. I believe the message you receive if a voicemail notification is actually displayed rather than hidden is:

//ANDROID:########## has sent you a Sprint Voice Message. Call ###-###-#### to listen. MMSN,(gibberish)//CM

So, if you get that message, I would uninstall GO SMS if you can't find the needed setting either. If you're getting a different message or this doesn't help, send me a private message and I can check for Google Voice integration and Visual Voicemail provisioning.

-Donnie

Journeyman

I am having the same problem, voicemail goes to SMS even though I didn't sign up for that as far as I know.  I tried the suggestion about using the "1" key and that got me the messages I missed but the Voicemail App keeps saying I have no messages.  The last time I tried to call the 605... number I got what sounded like a circuits busy signal and never connected. 

Patron

This is, as yet, an unresolved issue.  My best guess is that it's caused by a setting or conflict with the GO SMS program I'm using.  Since I don't want to use the default SMS program and I can't figure out where the conflict lies, the Voicemail app is rendered useless.

I did manage to disable the annoying text notifications for all voicemail through the GO SMS settings, but now I have to check voicemail anytime there's a call.  There's no way to know if they left a message.

Wizard

I have heard that some third party VM apps have the ability to properly interpret voicemail notifications, but I haven't been able to find a workaround for Go SMS specifically.

-Donnie

Journeyman

I'm actually having this same problem. Got with a Sprint rep online and they had me sign up and cancel voice to text and then wait a month. It's still doing the same thing. I even removed my stock 2.3 Android and went with a different ICS rom and it's doing the same thing. I really don't want to spend another 2 hours online with those guys that go by scrpts. It seems that since I upgraded from my EVO 4G to my Samsung GS2, that I've had this problem. BTW, this is my third GS2 I've had and all three have done this. So I guess it's got to be a setup thing within Sprint and my account.

Journeyman

So for people that find this on through searching.... I ended up putting Google Voice and going online to set it up correctly and that seemed to do the trick. Now I get normal voicemail icons with no text messages sending me junk. Can't believe this is what I had to do. Sprint really needs to fix this.

Sprint Employee

This problem will have different solutions depending upon the symptoms you see. were you getting SMS from 9016 that contain (for lack of better description) random/garbled characters? Were you seeing sms  with voicemail transcribed into them? or SMS that say you have to call a number to get a message?

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Thanks... composing the voicemail to the activate@wm.sprint.com worked for me...

Journeyman

I ended up installed google voice and getting that all working properly and then proceeded to remove it. After doing that, I have my normal icon back!!

Journeyman

I tried several of the suggestions on this site and none of them worked for me.  I did some more searching and came up with this and it WORKED on my Samsung Epic Touch II

From the home screen -

- Menu/Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/Voicemail/Clear data

- This will wipe out your old Inbox messages but your filesystem will come clean

Good Luck!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat