cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot enable CallingPLUS on my S8+

Journeyman

Re: NEW INFO Cannot enable CallingPLUS on my S8+ (but works in different local)

The plot thickens..... it MUST have something to do with ?code by sprint

1  In hotel with fast/good wifi   call+ icon not on bar, but looks like it is turned on but it isn't

2  Walk outside and connect to local wifi - weaker signal but call +  icon on bar and wifi calling is REALLY available!!   Back to hotel and again doesn't work!

GrandMaster

that sounds like the wifi you are connecting to is restricting it. not the phone or calling plus itself. if its connecting to another source just fine but not a specific one thats gotta be it.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

So out of 100's of hotels it does appear that this one hotel had some kind of restriction that didn't allow wifi calling - if anyone knows what it might be please let me know b/c their IT (japan) didn't have a clue!

BUT

I am having the SAME problem with roaming wifi I have had before - works for a few hours then I get a notice the wifi calling has stopped b/c it cannot determine my location!!!  Google maps knows where I am - so the phone is not "lost".  Sometimes turning off airplane mode (which I leave on to avoid inadvertently making a call on cellular network) and allowing it to connect to cell network turns it back on, sometimes it doesn't.  Really frustrating that this happens ALL the time when I am roaming (in many countries) and when I need to call on wifi I can't (sometimes it doesn't turn back on for more than a day no matter what I do).  Can anyone help?

GrandMaster

what do you have locations set to? high accuracy is recommended since it also uses wifi for GPS.

not the first i have heard of a businesses wifi not allowing wifi calling. they restricted VoIP. this is by choice by upper management and usually not something they can turn on on a whim. heard of certain places not allowing it here even in the states.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I know about location being set to high - that's not it (that would have been too easy - I think the error message is not what the real problem is but I wish I knew what the real problem is - this happens in every country roaming after a day or two and then is intermittent after that)

The hotel was a St Regis and no one there apparently knew anything about wifi calling (b/c it is a US based carrier thing), but I've never had it show that it was turned out by the icon but not showing up in the upper bar and not working when it shows it's on 😞

Tags (1)
Journeyman

I have an S9  with the same problem  I can't turn on calling plus and sprint has been troubleshooting for a week.  It used to work and now it will not activate. We have tried everything including factory reset  Any suggestions to get this resolved  I really need the wifi calling as I am in a marginal sprint service area

Journeyman

I have posted a fix for this specific problem earlier in these posts. Basically speaking the reason for the issue seemed to be that while connected to Calling plus, the phone would lose GPS location. After a multitude of "Location service loss" the phone seems to brick the calling plus feature in YOUR wireless router. the fix was to go into wireless and forget network. Unclick the autoreconnect. Then go into calling plus and deactivate it. Then go into Connections/location settings and set for High accuracy (it uses wireless connections for detecting location). then restart phone. Then connect to ANY OTHER WIRELESS CONNECTION. do not attempt to reconnect to the same wireless as before. you could even do what i did and use my guest network on my wireless. Then assure your location is still set for high accuracy. Then turn on calling plus again and go through the 911 location set up. After that is all done, your calling plus should now work. You will be on the "other wireless connection at this time" (in my case, i used my guest network). then, forget that network and turn off auto reconnect. then reconnect to your original wireless connection. then turn on calling plus again and you should now be connected. From here on out be sure to use "high accuracy" settings in location.

if you live in an area with poor cell signal AND most likely poor GPS signal (like me), setting the high accuracy setting in location settings will not cause as many of the "location time out" errors. those errors, after repeated times, is what causes the phone to brick in calling plus mode to your same wireless connection. Don't ask me why, probably a glitch in the software code. In either case, the above steps corrected the issue with calling plus for me. now that I use high accuracy in my poor cell and GPS home location, my calling plus stays on properly. 

Good luck, hope this helps you. i went through a month of steps of every sort, just like you. These steps fixed the issue immediately.

Journeyman

Thanks  I did try your fix. It didn't work for me.  I can't even get calling plus to turn on no matter what I try. 

Journeyman

Just in case, be sure you followed those steps precisely. You MUST forget the Wi-Fi network you used to be connected to, connect to another (also by not remembering a password and actually entering it). The steps don't work if you remembered the wi fi or allowed any type of connection with a remembered password. You must also go through the deactivate calling plus steps and assure the high accuracy location setting. 

this all assumes when you say "calling plus will not even turn on" i assume you mean the shortcut bar on top of phone with single finger slide. if calling plus is not showing turned on when in "settings"  then that is a whole different issue. My circumstance was calling plus would not actually work, or show the icon in phone when should have, but was shwoing "turned on" in the settings area.

Journeyman

Thanks my problem is that the slider bar won't let me turn on calling plus, let alone deactivate it. I'll keep looking for solutions. 

Journeyman

There are 2 issues

1) wifi call says it is "on" but doesn't show in the title bar and isn't really on (the problem I had in one hotel) but does work - that is can really be on in another location - your solution didn't work for me for this problem tho it may work for others

2)  The wifi calling won't enable - slide bar and it circles for a while then says wifi calling cannot be activiated - happens to me all the time when roaming in various countries 

Sprint cs is useless - either they don't understand or "we don't have control of our partners" (btw when I had tmo they DID try to trouble shoot and see what was going on -sadly not too successfully).  Sometimes it connects at a later time after doing nothing, sometimes it connects after connecting to a cell tower, sometimes it connects after turning location off then on again - well all this is probably just random coincidence (except the connecting to cell tower - it may be that sprint needs to know where you are by this method not just by wifi IP), but of course none of this helps much if you're in the US and having the problem (which I haven't had so far but I've had calls drop multliple times when using wifi call at my US home - b/c sprint cell is unuseable sometimes)

All in all - very frustrating and I've found cs to be useless (even supervisors seem to have NO technical knowledge).  I'm only with them b/c I have a "free" rate but I shudder to think what will happen if the merger goes through 😞

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too had a VERY frustrating few weeks. but I am an **bleep** retentive perfectionist...and with that comes me trying every option, in steps, recording the process on a list .. then i spoke to a gal at Sprint. Told her each and every theory i had and my attempts. I could connect to Wi-Fi in other locations with other Wi Fi's, but not on my two (Office and home which have same admin access credentials and wireless passwords.

She directed me int the whole (basically resetting your wi-fi) The key points (in all my very detailed scientific procedure of assessment).. LOL..  I could not see the issue. It is important that you KNOW your locaiton services are actually seeing the wi-fi and getting GPS when doing all these steps (i found if i went to area with no GPS while taking these steps, it would not fix issue. I confirmed by using maps that show current location, and made sure i was then connected to the wi fi also. THEN i turned calling plus back on and went through setup of 911 info etc.  before doing these repair tasks, i could not get it working just as you explain. After these steps, (for 2 weeks now) I have only lost it once (went back to not working). I did the whole forget wifi, then reconnected to guest network, and BAMB, it started working again, and not more issue for another week now.

i am telling ya, in my case the locaiton settings and assuring you are "located" during set up tsaks described, it worked as a fix for me. I also tested without location connected, did not get warning not connected and saw what you see when not working... 

So, just saying, it's like a jigsaw puzzle for the fix i found and suggested by Sprint Caller Assistance on the phone. i think it helped her to access my issue quickly because i listed all the things I performed before, in a detail that would allow her to focus on answers for things I already tried. 

you may be getting the ones that read a book and read off their pre printed answers for a variety of issues... and I have got that before from Sprint... they act so superior, yet rarely have the answer or the correct one. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat