cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get VPN to work with Samsung Galaxy Tab

Highlighted
Journeyman

No matter what I've tried with a stock Galaxy Tab, I cannot get VPN connectivity to work.

I've tried the OS's VPN setup, and other 3rd party apps to no avail. Connection to my VPN just hangs for a minute then fails. (It's a Microsoft VPN.)

There is nothing blocked on our work's VPN, as I can connect to it with various other devices, including my Sprint EVO Shift (which runs the same Android 2.2 OS that the Tab does.)

After numerous phone calls to Sprint's "advanced tech support" for the device, noone even understands what VPN is, let alone make an attempt to troubleshoot my issue. Can anyone shed some lght on my issue?

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Cannot get VPN to work with Samsung Galaxy Tab

So far I've done the following:

• 4-8 hrs "google-ing" for information on how to resolve this issue, whereas the only known solution for VPN functionality on the Samsung Galaxy Tab is to root the device and run 3rd party client. I don't currently feel like rooting my device at the moment, so this option is sidelined for the moment.
  • 2-3 hrs searching these forums for answers. Not only is it incredibly hard and SLOW to navigate the forums, but it's a PITA to search for anything useful. Boo to Sprint on this one. I've also come up with no useful information on troubleshooting VPN connectivity.
  • 1-2 hrs on phone with multiple levels of Sprint "tech support." I have been able to pull no good information or recieve a resolution for my issue from this source either. "Advanced tech support" is a JOKE. They do not understand the concept of VPN, let alone attempt to troubleshoot it.
  • I then tried Sprint's online chat. I was eventually told to contact Samsung directly concerning my issue.
  • ~2hrs on phone with Samsung techs. I was passed up the chain to 3rd level Tablet tech support after an hour of listening to someone read off a script. 3rd level tech stated that they do not provide tech support for VPN on this device and suggested I try "contacting google" for a resolution.  The only useful information given was to try a direct VPN server IP as opposed to the hostname (why?)  This did not resolve the issue either. I was also told that if I gave my credentials for the VPN in question that the tech would give it a shot (WTF!?!?) I denied the tech of this blatant opportunity to fish my password. I let the tech know that this issue was not with my VPN server, as I could connect to the VPN with other devices running Android 2.2, other devices on 3G Sprint networks, and other devices running via WIFI. Tech is currently reporting this issue up to a supervisor and I'm supposed to get a call back sometime today.

So, I'm pretty much getting a schluff off from all parties...

Sprint sens me to -> Samsung sends me to -> "Google" ( I dunno even where to start with tech support for Android 2.2 that has a manufacturer's layer of modifications, where I have identified the issue to be at. I'm pretty sure if I'd ever get to an Android tech support or programmer, they'd eventually come to the same conclusion as I have. )

If I don't get any resolution within the next few days, looks like the device will be returned. Boo!

Journeyman

Re: Cannot get VPN to work with Samsung Galaxy Tab

As I have recieved no return call fro Samsung as promised, I have returned this device. Certainly bummed out about the lack of support on such basic functionality, and this will definitley make an impact on my future Sprint & Samsung dealings.

Journeyman

You and all VPN users (thousands of enterprises) are basically hosed.  Neither Google nor Sprint have stepped up to accept responsibility for this failure.  We know of no one who uses Android and Sprint who has successfully established a VPN connection.  Which is also disrespectful of students who need to connect to school Servers.

We would very much like this issue resolved as thousands have reported the exact same problem with Sprint and Android.  Someone?  Anyone? Care to help your customers??

Journeyman

Samsung should be the one resolving this a problem with all versions including wifi only. Samsung should not realease a broken product and then ignore such a problem. The mic does not work either when using sip. I'm returning mine.

Journeyman

Just upgraded my wife's HTC Evo 4G to android 2.3 and tried the VPN (PPTP to a windows VPN server) and I was able to connect and actually access my linux servers until I disconnected.  

Before the upgrade (android 2.2) I was able to connect but unable to access my servers or I would be able to access for a few seconds before losing connectivity.   I currently have a samsung shift 4G running android 2.2 with the same problems.   Needless to say I am now really looking forward to an upgrade to 2.3.   Does anyone have any idea when the upgrade will be out?

Journeyman

Apparently this is a hardware issue.  So unfortuntaely there is nothing you can do until Samsung sends out an update.

"VPN on the Galaxy Tab running 2.2 simply does not work. At least up to now.

Samsung tech support told me that they have no plans to fix it under 2.2 and IF there is an official 2.3, 2.4 or 3.0 update, the VPN will be fixed in those updates."

So first, you should probably check to see what kernel/update you have.  Apparently this update/kernel is the first that went out that allowed users to connect via VPN:

Firmware 2.2, Kernel 2.6.32.9 root@SEI-28 #3

So if it's lower then that, update, then try to reconnect.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat