cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic 4G Touch bricked

Highlighted
Journeyman

Epic 4G Touch bricked

I'm not sure what software updates have been pushed recently--I never received a prompt to download any new Android updates. However, over the last day and a half, I have had to perform 3 factory resets. This was just to get my phone to start. While I'm changing settings, the phone will freeze, force itself off, and restart. When it gets to the "4G" screen in the startup loop, the screen gets bright, the phone vibrates (like a keypress vibrate), and then nothing happens. Repeat, ad infinitum, until the battery is pulled. I then have to go into the "safe start up" or whatever (volume up + home + power). I have tried a cache wipe, rebooting the phone through there, and regular rebooting to no avail. There are no system restoration options as there should be (do I have to manually add these? How do I do this?) in the Android safe mode menu, and in order to just get the phone to POWER ON, I have had to do a factory reset--lose all contacts, data, messages, and anything else that is not backed up somehow. I'm very unpleasantly surprised with this, and I am also very irritated that Sprint has not contacted users to warn them of this issue. I know I am not the first, nor will I be the last. I got this phone less than 6 months ago. It should NOT be bricking once a day. I do have an appointment set up to go to the Sprint store near my house later today, but this is an inconvenience that I should not be experiencing as a paying customer.

Not happy, Sprint. Not happy.

12 REPLIES 12
Journeyman

Re: Epic 4G Touch bricked

Interesting. I'm seeing on my post and on previous posts regarding similar issues that the ever-present web mods aren't responding. Hopefully someone is able to help me in-store.

Wizard

SrslyBrittany,

Thank you for the post. I do apologize your are having such a trying time with your device. I would suggest taking the device to a service center, this is going to be the best way to find out what is going on with your device. I know this is frustrating but from what you described, this sounds like a software malfunction. Please update us with what they say.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

Victor,

Not to be rude, but I did not post for my health. Can you offer any insight on this??

Thanks.

Journeyman

In all honesty, I am considering putting in a request to waive an early termination fee with Sprint. Over the last two months or so, my reception in most areas is so bad that I cannot even get 3G. Additionally, my phone has been acting up intermittently since the end of December. i.e. locking, freezing, "Sorry, Sprint ID has stopped working" error messages, the phantom menu button (which I decided not to bring in for repair as my research online indicated that replacing the hardware does nothing to fix the issue), and so on. As I pay $80+ per month for my services, I'm understandably a little upset. If I can get reliable service, a decent handset, and other benefits by switching to a different carrier for $10 more, I'll do it. These never-ending issues with you guys drive me crazy.

Wizard

SrslyBrittany,

Please dont be sorry. This sounds like a very frustrating situation, and you have all right to be upset. In regards to the software issue your local Sprint owned repair center is your best bet. I did not realize you had a issue with coverage. I can look into your area to see if there is something going on that might cause your service to act up. If you provide me a zip code and a cross st for an area that you have service issues I can research it. I do know we are upgrading our network to get LTE and upgraded 3G.  Please let me know how I can help.

Victor

Sprint Social Care.

Journeyman

The area I'm experiencing the worst coverage blackout is at my desk at work. 55425, cross streets American Blvd and 34th Ave S--I'm right across from the MSP airport, which I know is bound to cause some issues (throttling of cell signal by the airport for air traffic control reasons), but I should not be completely unable to get bars. I'm currently showing 0 bars. All black in the signal indicator. The worst part is, I NEVER had this issue until the end of December or early January. It's not as bad at home, but my signal isn't great there, either.

Master

SrslyBrittany wrote:

In all honesty, I am considering putting in a request to waive an early termination fee with Sprint. Over the last two months or so, my reception in most areas is so bad that I cannot even get 3G. Additionally, my phone has been acting up intermittently since the end of December. i.e. locking, freezing, "Sorry, Sprint ID has stopped working" error messages, the phantom menu button (which I decided not to bring in for repair as my research online indicated that replacing the hardware does nothing to fix the issue), and so on.

If your online research came to that conclusion then you didn't research well enough. The menu button issue is a hardware defect with a seal inside the LCD/TSP assembly causing electronic interference to bleed over and cause the capacitive button to think it is being pressed when it isn't. This can be fixed by replacing the LCD/TSP assembly at a Service and Repair center. All new parts being supplied to the S&R centers have the corrected part in place. This is a no-cost repair/replacement whether you have Sprint's TEP or not, the fee is waived if you do not have TEP.

The other issues sound like they could be fixed by having the software reflashed from scratch at an S&R store as well. A system-level software corruption could cause all of those symptoms, liquid damage could as well, there are numerous possible causes.

Journeyman

Hi,

I should have disclosed better what I meant by "online research." My cousin had the same phantom menu button issue with her S2, so she brought it in for repair. This fixed the issue for a few weeks, but then it started happening increasingly more often. As my phone is continually low-signal, I decided to conduct my own research after her letting me know that her issue was still happening after receiving new hardware. I think this is more closely linked to the signal strength of the device, not the hardware itself. Thus, until my signal strength issue is resolved, putting new hardware in the phone is not the answer.

Regardless, the issue I'm posting this thread about was not the phantom menu button. As I indicated above, it was intermittent and it never happened often enough or lasted long enough that I cared to complain about it, go out of my way to a SRC, and be without my phone, which I use heavily for work and school. The problem I'm now facing is that I have a somewhat-fried device in which all of my data is lost. I do not want to make this thread about something else.

Journeyman

Brought my phone in for repair last night. Was assured that they replaced the hardware causing the "phantom menu button" issue. The phone is doing it again this morning. Just thought you'd like to know.

Again, doesn't bother me enough that I'm going to go out of my way again, but please do not tell me that research I have taken the time to do was not extensive enough in the future. Thanks!

Wizard

SrslyBrittany,

I am very sorry your still having the phantom button issue. Have you tried to getting in contact with Samsung? The warranty should cover this due to it being a hardware issue. I know you don't want to go back to the store, I'm thinking this might be your best bet. Depending on the store they could replace the phone altogether.

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Wizard

SrslyBrittany,

I do see we are having an outage in the area you provided. Services that are being affected are 3G browsing and voice. I dont see anything from Dec.that would be over the normal failure rate, but that could mean that service is outside and not indoors. Do you have the same problems when you leave work?

Victor

Sprint Social Care

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat