cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to customize Samsung Reclaim? (wallpaper, ringtones, music, movies)

Highlighted
Journeyman

How to customize Samsung Reclaim? (wallpaper, ringtones, music, movies)

Hi!

I just picked up a Samsung Reclaim and I love the phone.  I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to do more with it in terms of using it with my video, music, and picture files.  If anyone can help me out with any of these, I'd greatly appreciate it!

1.  Is there a way to use my own photo as the wallpaper?

2.  Is there a way to use my own .mp3 file (whether it means converting it, etc.) as a ringtone?

3.  What is the file format for viewing movie files?  Does anyone know the resolution as well?

Thanks a bunch!

Tags (2)
9 REPLIES 9
Journeyman

Re: How to customize Samsung Reclaim? (wallpaper, ringtones, music, movies)

I just received this phone yesterday and I like it a lot too.  To transfer files you are going to need a samsung micro usb data cable. I went out and bought a standard micro usb cable and it wouldn't allow me to do anything..... samsung's suposedly has a special shape on the end to allow a full connection. At least that is what the Rep at Samsung told me over the phone.   So I ordered the official cable at the local Sprint store here and it should be here next week.  Will let you know how it goes from there.  Too bad the phone just didn't come with the cable.  Texting, Call Quality and just the basic features of the phone are awesome.

There is a very good tutorial here:  http://www.samsung.com/us/support/search/supportSearchModelResult.do

and here is a link to the site in general for all questions:

http://samsungmobileusa.com/Reclaim.aspx?cid=ppc_mac_goo_Past+Iconic_Reclaim_samsung+reclaim

The only problem I have with this phone is that in the video tutorials on Sprint's site under the web features video it claims that the device is WiFi (mouse over the video and it says something to the effect of "check emails at WiFi hotspots etc.."  What the site fails to mention is that you need a data plan to use the WiFi....so standard WiFi it is not.  I am currently on the "Everything Messaging Family Plan", but my have to switch to the plan with the data options.  They have a new promotion that just rolled out today that gives you unlimited calls to all other cellular carriers if you upgrade to the everything data family plan.  For $29.99 more...might be worth it.

Journeyman

Hi Hedberg,

In order to transfer files, you can just take out the included 512MB microSD card that is already in the phone, stick it in the included microSD card SD card adapter and plug it into your computer (or card reader).

Thank you for the samsung website!  I sent an email with my questions directly to them, so perhaps I may be able to get an answer from them.

Also, if you're looking for anymore information, this forum thread may be useful (I'm not sure how many people will use it since the Reclaim isn't too popular yet).

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192437

Journeyman

a standard microUSB cable works for me. i bought a regular 5ft microUSB cable for $2 online and it works.

i'm attaching the drivers i used.

Journeyman

The phone also came with a data card adapter, so if you have a slot for it on your computer, you don't even need a data card. A direct connection is the easiest way to get music files directly from your computer to your phone. That will work for music files you want to play, but not for the ringers. For that, yeah, you'll need a data cord. You can also try sites like Phonezoo or Myxer, which allow you to create your own ringers (usually 30 seconds or less) from your own files. These sites will send a text with a direct link to the download, and that will end up in your ringers file.

Pictures can be transferred via card reader, data cord, or picture mail. For wallpaper, the size to fit the whole screen is 240 x 320.

Wizard

thanks, qqlnfvq3.  are these drivers for XP and Vista, or 7?  anyone able to download and uncompress this rar?  what app did you use to do it?

Journeyman

xp. it may work w/ vista. wont hurt to try.

use 7zip or winrar to unpack. 7zip is free.

as others have suggested, its better to take the microSD card out and trasfer using a card reader. transfer speeds via the phone/usb are extremely slow, about 500KB/sec.

to answer the original thread question, the video format used by the phone is .3g2. theres a workaround to convert your mp3 to video and use that video as a ringtone. its a roundabout way but i suppose it works. im just dissapointed at the poor selection of stock ringtones on this phone.

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=194707

Manual (custom) ringers on Samsung m560 (Reclaim) - No internet

So, I just got the Frog in the mail yesterday, and the first
thing I was to try? Getting custom ringers on the beast w/o
internet.

It's easy peazy.

Simply use your method of choosing to get your sound clip
into a .3g2 (this is a video format) file and get it into
the DCIM/100SSMED on either your phone or your memory card.

Once you do that you can select them as a ringer (although
not as a sound for message notification).

MY favorite program for conversion is Super. It's free and
fairly simple to use.

Enjoy!

Journeyman

Now that I have upgraded my old handset to the Samsug Reclaim, I have encountered problems customizing the phone to my liking. The specific problem that I am trying to overcome is accessing the phone's "My Stuff" folder. I was told by one of the sprint store reps that I could make ringtones (that could be used as ringers as well as alarms and text messages) if I had a micro usb cable. I picked up a cable only to learn that the only media I can access is the microSD card). I don't have a data plan, so downloading files is cost prohibitive. I have tried copying a 3g2 file to the phone's internal memory but when I try to assign it for a text message, the "my video" option is not available. Perhaps I am missing something, but it seems as though this phone does not allow videos to be assigned to text messages?!?! I am looking for guidance. (I don't rule out user error, but I have looked over this board and another and have not found a way to get around this mess).

Journeyman

Spoke with someone from Sprint Technical Support today. She indicated that, absent a data plan, or uploading/downloading a tone to your phone, there is no way to access the Reclaim's "My Stuff" folder and populate it with custom tones (re: that can be assigned for text messages and other alerts. Ring tones for voice calls are less problematic). Someone out here probably has (or will) come up with a way to crack this feature. I hope they post those steps somewhere!.

Journeyman

Phonezoo works great, thanks!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat