cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent problem with Menu popping up uncommanded [Solved!]

Community Manager

Re: Intermittent problem with Menu popping up uncommanded

As we discussed in PM, Dark Avionics, I've spoken to a service and repair tech in the store where you plan to go; he says these repairs generally take an hour or two at the most.  If you get there early in the day, you can drop the device off, run some errands and then come pick it up a couple hours later.

Thanks again for working so closely with me on this issue and keep up.  If it doesn't resolve the problem, I'll take the next step for you!

*Christy

Sprint Social Cares

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

Context menu's activate on their own!!!

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4g touch phone and I constantly have multiple automatic menu button pushes. This is getting very frustrating. To just place a call sometimes I have to wait several minutes for the phone just to calm down so I can actually push some buttons. I have done some research on this in forums. I have been told that this only happens during low signal antenna strength. I tend to get very poor antenna strength at my desk so that would make sense why my phone is constantly freaking out.  This adds to more frustration when you take your phone into the store because with the great signal strength at the store, the problem does not occur for the tech. Multiple users say that if the techs do any repairs they just replace the front glass but the problems still occur.

Here is what one site discovered the problem could be.

“The problem is that the touchkey chip is located right next to the 3G antenna. When the phone is accessing the 3G network the RF energy gets transferred to the interrupt and i2c clock and data lines causing false interrupts to occur. The processor responds to the interrupt by reading the key value from the cypress chip. The symptoms occur more frequently in low signal areas because the phone outputs a higher RF level in those situations which causes more RF interference on the interrupt line.”

Is there a sollution to this problem yet?

Community Manager

Shaneritschard, that sounds very much like the solution I found in our systems.  It will require a visit to a store and it might be best if we start a ticket on the device that can be referenced when you get to the store. The tech can reference our notes and get a head start on the fix.  If you'd like I'd be more than happy to gather some information and submit the same kind of ticket I put in for DarkAvionics and his too phones.  I'm sending you a private message with the information I'll need.

Thanks!

*Christy

Sprint Social Care

SeaWolf
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

I got the runaround at the Sprint repair center.  They claim that there is a software patch being pushed out to our phones that will resolve the problem.

They also mentioned, in passing, that Jellybean was due to come in February.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the repost. That is what I have been told by everyone I have talked to that has this problem. I don't think I will waste my time then. I wish Sprint would value their customers a little more. Obviously with all of the posts I have seen everywhere on this same issue, it is a problem. I laugh when most of the customers get an excuse that Sprint has not experienced this issue before. We have been told that we need to take the battery off and put it back on. Frustrating!!!

Journeyman

Well, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt for the moment. However, I do see a communications issue between the people online and the people in the stores.

The people at that store already know they will be seeing me again if the problem is not resolved to my satisfaction; and I know enough about the technical aspects of this that they can't BS me.

Journeyman

Is Jellybean supposed to fix this problem? From what I have read is that it is a hardware issue and that the only true fix is to solder a resistor in. They said that you can do a software update but all that will do is not notify you of all of the interference that it is still getting possibly causing slower processing speeds. I know this isn't really Sprints issue because it is the way that Samsung is building the boards but man it would be nice for them to back their customer.

Community Manager

DarkAvionics,

I'm disapointed that happened to you at the store.  I even included appropriate documentation in the ticket.  I think it's time to take the next step, as I said I would.  I see you've sent me a PM; I'll be talking to you about where to go next in there.

Shaneritschard, I think you and I were seeing the same fix and that's what I was trying to accomplish for our friend here.  You're right, you may want to put a note on Samsung's forums as well, it's possible they can learn from experience here.

*Christy

Sprint Social Care Team

SeaWolf

Journeyman

Jellybean will not fix the problem.

If I can get confirmation that the hardware issue is related to the RF interference from the G3 antenna as in that other Samsung phone, then I can post that confirmation in a dozen different forums.

I have the skills and tools available to me to do the fix myself, but I would rather have an official fix out that will help everyone.

Master

When the radio turns up power to maintain connection with the towers it can cause Electronic Noise to leak over the connection between the capacitive buttons at the bottom of the handset and the main board, making the phone think that there was a key press. This is due to a piece of shielding tape on the device not being up to snuff. The tape can't be replaced on its own in store, the entire screen assembly needs to be replaced.

This issue took quite a bit of time to track down and determine a root cause by Sprint/Samsung because of the large number of devices in the field with varying parts since launch and the multitude of potential causes. It needed to be determined how widespread the issue was, and the different types of hardware affected by this versus other issues with potentially similar symptoms.

The MENU button being "pressed" on its own is considered a known issue and can be fixed in a Service and Repair store by replacing the screen assembly (The replacement parts from Samsung are a combined LCD/TSP assembly from the factory so they are both replaced at once). It does appear more apparent in low signal/roaming environments due to the nature of the issue. If a store does not have parts available or is unable to fix it, they can exchange the device for you. Exchanges will be for the same model refurbished device, just as if you went through Samsung to haev it repaired/replaced. The refurbished devices should have the fixed part in place already from the warehouse. If you do not have TEP/ESRP from Sprint the $50 repair fee is waived for the repair/exchange for this issue. I do not know a specific date that this was posted in the internal device solutions portal, I just checked it today specifically for this issue.

If the phone is determined to have another issue that would preclude the store exchanging or repairing the device (like liquid or physical damage for instance), it will not be repaired/exchanged as that additional issue prevents the store from working on the phone, regardless of other issues.

Hopefully this is a decent enough explanation and recommended course of action. If you have any specific issues or questions with this, send me a PM or post in this thread. I will try to respond as soon as I can. I am a technician in a corporate S&R store, so I cannot be on the Community all of the time as I do work with customers directly here as well.

Journeyman

That is a lot of information. Thank you so much and thank you ChristydaGeek!!! I am working through our Account executive through Sprint to try and get this solved. Christy, I will let you know if I still need your help through PM.

Oh one more problem has a arose. Everytime that I use the phone, my left eye starts blinking up and down. just kidding. Thought I would try to add a little humor since I was a little harsh earlier.

Thank you again both of you for all your help. I will let you know if this solves the issue.

Master

There is a slim chance of some refurbished devices to still experience this issue if they were worked on before the root cause was identified and a solution implemented. Since the Epic Touch refurb stock has been on backorder for the past few weeks (running about a week or so behind) these should be few in comparison, but there is a small possibility of it happening with a replacement.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat