cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent problem with Menu popping up uncommanded [Solved!]

Highlighted
Journeyman

Intermittent problem with Menu popping up uncommanded [Solved!]

I have suffered this problem since acquiring this phone (Samsung Galaxy S II SPH-D710, otherwise known as Epic 4G Touch), and I have researched it much as I could.  I had hoped that perhaps the Jelly Bean update (hopefully soon to be issued) would fix the problem, however, I have just found this post which indicates that it is actually a hardware problem.

Is this problem identical between my phone and the one being discussed in the link (the Samsung Fascinate)?

Message was edited by: DarkAvionics

Marked as solved, cleaned up external link

137 REPLIES 137
Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, I'm having the exact same problems. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i have the same problem with my phone.

the menu button randomly activated.....

so this problem can be solved any sprint store?

Highlighted
Journeyman

UPDATE

Well after almost a month I finally was able to get a replacement phone in the mail. I just switched it out today and unfortanately got one that not only does the same menu pop ups but also has a power button that does not function. So I can't even get it out of sleep mode. It brings itself out of sleep mode whenever it feels like it. And then once it is out of sleep mode I can not put it back in sleep mode or turn it off. So unfortunately I turned my incredibly aggrivating phone in for a extremely agrivating phone. Don't you think that the techs that refurbished the phones would have seen that the power button doesn't work? I noticed it within 2 seconds. So now I wait again. 😮

Highlighted
Journeyman

I started experiencing the same problem 3 days ago. Home screen/Menu/Messaging will randomly go on and off, phone turns itself off and back on. Power button is unresponsive. I had a "chat session" yesterday with a Sprint Chat person and they recommended for me to take it into a local store for service. Lovely.

Model sph-d710

Android version 4.0.04

Build # IMM76I.fl24

Hardware Version: D710.10

I've had the phone since October 2011 and have been very pleased with it, have a been a Sprint Customer for 10 years.

Will update after my experience in the "store"... the last two times it wasn't pleasant but alas I will go in with a fresh attitude.

Mark

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello,

I'm having the menu problem as well as a horrible signal and very rapid battery drain. The menu flashes on and off rapidly when I try to open apps or make a call.I have only had the phone a few months and it is driving me crazy. Can you help?

Highlighted
Journeyman

What is the path of least resistance to have this problem corrected? Will a local Sprint location help me, or should I call in and handle it that way?

My phone does the same thing. (my wife's epic works just fine)We have had the phone's around 6 months. I thought the problem might be software related and i was waiting on the next update to hopefully correct the problem.

i have seen this issue since day one. But after finding this thread, i tried turning on airplane mode when it happened this morning (in a low reception area) and the issue went away. So I feel sure this is the problem.

Thanks for any help!

Matthew

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also am experiencing this problem for my Epic 4G Touch.  Can I get a support ticket as well?  I've been living with it for 8 months or so.

Highlighted
Journeyman

UPDATE

My company ended up just giving a new Epic 4G Touch. This one has chrome around the sides. I am hoping that it is a new enough model to have the updated fix in it. So far so good but my first one took a few months before it started acting up, so we'll see.

Highlighted
Journeyman

If you put it into airplane mode, then turn off airplane mode, if your phone is defective it will press the 'menu' button several times.  By default, this will activate the menu-button haptic feedback, as well.  If that doesn't happen, you should be good to go.

Highlighted
Journeyman

sweet... when I took it in and out of airplane mode nothing happened. So hopefully that is a good sign. I hope I am finally through with this mess. I hope everyone else on here has better luck than I did with the replacements.

Highlighted
Community Manager

I'm sorry for the delay in my response, folks.  I was out on my normal days off.

Any service and repair location should be able to assess this issue and perform the proper fix or authorize an exchange.  If you have TEP, the repair will be free.  A couple of customers have had great success by printing out Halcyoncmdr123's very helpful post (on page 2, I believe) and taking it with them to the store.  However, as the fix is generally well known at this point, that shouldn't be necessary.

If you're far away from a repair location or have tried the store without resolution, I'll be more than happy to look into it and assist if you send me a PM.

*Christy

Spring Social Cares

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thursday 2/28/2013 9:15am

May be premature but it appears that my Galaxy SII is operating ok. None of the issues that I've experienced the last 5 days are coming up.

Don't know if they pushed thru an update or what.

Had planned on going by Sprint Store this afternoon.

Will keep you posted.

Mark

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat