cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent problem with Menu popping up uncommanded [Solved!]

Journeyman

Re: Intermittent problem with Menu popping up uncommanded [Solved!]

Glad I was able to track down this thread regarding this problem. There is a lot of good info here.

I have had my phone for 7 months with no issues until this "phantom menu press" thing started about a week ago.

I can relate to most of the stories told here. I tried taking the phone out of protector thinking maybe there was dirt between touch screen and protector. I tried removing recently installed apps. I tried changing some of the settings only to end up putting things back to the way I had them because none of this fixed the problem. After a lot of research I do believe that it is a hardware problem and that "halcyoncmdr123" nailed the issue. Only mystery to me is why did it take 7 months to reveal itself.

I too am leary of going to sprint store in that the problem is so intermentant. I can't always get the issue to duplicate itself even when I'm in a location where the problem had occurred before. And I definitly don't want them to wipe my phone back to the factory settings.

Will check back here in the near future hopefully to see posts of what happened at sprint store and is your phone fixed.

Samsung Galaxy ll

SPH-D710

Version: 4.0.4

Build # IMM761.FL24

Highlighted
Journeyman

I took my phone into a Sprint store in Santa Clara, CA and they knew right away about this issue.  ChristydaGeek made a phone call to ensure that this would be easy and for the most part it was.  They replaced my screen assembly with a newly received refurb from Samsung and my intermittent capacative touch button issue is now GONE in weak-signal areas.

Take your phones in.

If you don't have TEP, it will cost $50.

If you do have TEP, the repair will be no charge.

They didn't even wipe my phone for this fix.

Thanks Christy!

Community Manager

Thanks for the shout-out and testimoney, Sharksfan98

Oldv65, I can understand your hesitation but have worked with several customers on this self-same problem and by and large, the stores have been great, once the correct resolution was discovered and published, as Sharksfan so helpfully attests.  If you have any issue at all, please let me know.  I can get involved on my end from there.

*Christy

Sprint Social Cares

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

Went to the Sprint store today (Columbus, OH) anticipating paying $50 for the screen replacement. I'm pleased to report a pleasent experience. The store employee was knowledgable of the issue. He told me that Sprint will replace the phone at no charge because it is a known issue. Only down side is the phone is on back order for that reason. Store said it still should be no more than a couple of weeks though.

Thanks Sharksfan and Christy for the info.

Community Manager

I am delighted that you were treated well!  Let me know if you have any issues with the new device.

*Christy

Sprint Social Cares

Sprint link

SeaWolf
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

Hello ChristydaGeek,

I also have this problem on my SPH-D710...  And additionally, I don't want to have my phone replaced, wiped clean, etc.  I'd just like the issue to be repaired as it sounds others in this forum have.  I have a refurbished S2 which works perfectly other than this menu problem. 

Can you assist me in getting this issue fixed with just a screen replacement?

Thanks, and I hope all is well with you each,

Tele2

Journeyman

I'm not sure this is the answer you want to hear, but with the wide variation from store to store, you just need to take it into a corporate-owned repair center.

Just go there and tell them what you want.  They should be aware of this particular issue.  Be prepared to pay $50 if you don't have TEP, although it looks like some stores actually have cool employees that care about the customers.  There have been a few reports that some stores will waive this fee.  Mine did not (Santa Clara, CA - Stevens Creek Store)

If they give you the run-around, then I would PM Christy and ask her to make a phone call for you.

My phone screen was replaced and my phone was not wiped, per my request at the store.  My issue was resolved.

Let us know how it goes.

Journeyman

I am happy to report that through ChristydaGeek and a cooperative area Sprint Store my phone got a screen replaced and is now working well.  They wanted to give me a rebuilt phone and ordered it but I told them I wanted the screen only to be replaced.  They complied and I didn't have to reinstall everything...

Another store I used was un-cooperative and treated me very poorly about the issue (the Dobbin Center store in Columbia, MD) and over the phone they two associates I spoke to were rude, dismissive, and seemed bent on erasing my phone or steering me to a refurbished model.  Very poor customer service.  I'll now be going to the other store for my needs even though it is a bit smaller.  The staff at this one (Security Mall in Baltimore) was much better and acutally seemed to understand customer service. 

ChristydaGeek and folks here, THANK YOU!!! 

Journeyman

Re: Intermittent problem with Menu popping up uncommanded

I also am this same concern and now I have the issue that phone just shuts it self off and then won't restart. I have to pull the battery out let it sit for s few monutes install the battery then it powers up, but I have to do this several times to keep the phone on or plug the phone in. It does this even with a fully charged battery. Any thoughts???

Journeyman

Hello.

I am also having the same problems with my samsung galaxy s2/epic 4g touch that the other sprint users are having in this forum.

My problems:

Since I did an update at the end of March that was pushed through by Sprint, my phone keeps having the menu screen pop up for no reason.

Each time the menu screen would pop up, 1 of 2 things would happen: (1) I would either be able to hit the back button at the bottom of my phone or (2) the phone would cycle itself off and back on.

After this started happening, my phone would cycle itself off and back on with or without the menu screen randomly popping up.

Now, my power button has stopped working completely.

I bought my phone brand new on last year, and I did not have these problems into I did an update on my phone pushed by Sprint.  Now in addition to these problems, I have to plug my phone in to the usb charger and remove it from the charger to be able to use the phone, because this action mimics what my now non-functioning power button used to do. I would like a ticket to be made on my behalf so that I can take it to a store and have my phone properly fixed like the other sprint users in this forum. I stay in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and I do not have the insurance on my phone.

Thank you for contacting me.

Also, I have a new battery in my phone.  I just purchased it towards the end of February 2013.

Journeyman

Are you still assigning tickets for this issue.  I tried my local Sprint store 4 months ago and notified them of this issue and they informed me that it wasn't covered unless I had TPC.  Thanks in advance

Community Manager

Though we are no longer doing tickets. the fix is fairly well known at this point.  It sounds like it wasn't well known the last time you were in a store.  In order to be sure we've done everything by the book, it's best to visit a store first, but you have any issues, I would be more than happy to assist through the PM system here on the forums.

*Christy

Sprint Social Cares

SeaWolf

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat