cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent problem with Menu popping up uncommanded [Solved!]

Highlighted
Journeyman

Intermittent problem with Menu popping up uncommanded [Solved!]

I have suffered this problem since acquiring this phone (Samsung Galaxy S II SPH-D710, otherwise known as Epic 4G Touch), and I have researched it much as I could.  I had hoped that perhaps the Jelly Bean update (hopefully soon to be issued) would fix the problem, however, I have just found this post which indicates that it is actually a hardware problem.

Is this problem identical between my phone and the one being discussed in the link (the Samsung Fascinate)?

Message was edited by: DarkAvionics

Marked as solved, cleaned up external link

137 REPLIES 137
Journeyman

Christy, I am once again having the menu on/off issue. I had the issue on my original S2 and I took it into my Service Center and they provided me a refurb replacement and it has worked well for about 6-8 months but has recently started showing the same symptoms as my original S2. After reading posts and replies I thought I should contact you and have you start a new service call on my phone to speed up the process and to prepare my service center.

Michael Kearns

Highlighted
Master

Mikeandkelli,
Oh no! Very sorry to hear you are having the same issues with your phone. We now have a self service option to set up appointments at your nearest Sprint store. storelocator.sprint.com/appt
Thanks
Samantha
Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello ChristydaGeek

I sent a PM to you to help me create a ticket for a repair visit for my S2.  I am having the same problem with everyone but the tech just did a hard reset on my phone.  The problem doesn't happened at the store since they have strong signal but not where I live so they can't test it.  Please let me know.

Thank you.

Highlighted
Master

Trinh8384,

I just got done going over this with Christy. I believe there is an alternate option for us to move forward with your phone. Would you mind sending a PM with your phone number and PIN so that we can review your account for any other options?

Thank you,
*Ben
Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Like so many on here, I am also affected by the "Phantom Menu's" issue. In fact, all 3 of the phones on my account are having this issue. We've had two of the phones replaced several times, all having this or the power button issue. In fact, the current phone I am using was replaced yesterday (advanced replacement) and is doing it as I type this.

I called sprint earlier today, escalated the issue up to a team lead, who first tried to get me to upgrade my two other phones that were eligible,  then told me to call Samsung when I did not agree to it. Samsung wants me to send them the phone so they can "diagnose and test" it, then send me a refurbished one if it is bad. They also need the receipt to prove I just received it, since it is now out of warranty with them (its a referb as well.) This is a no-go, as I run a business with this phone, and cannot go without it.

So I called sprint yet again, and got similar results, this time taking it up to a Supervisor. He wanted me to upgrade and use the 1up program, or an early upgrade, (pay more@!!) or take it in to the store for another advanced exchange.

Frustration is building at this point. I have 3 phones that are defective, and Sprint wants me to pay to replace them, or use their exchange to get a "Fair and comparable model". From what the store reps have told me, the replacements are worse!

Is it too much to ask to get a replacement phone, that is as good or better than this one, after fighting with a defect that is a known issue making it impossible to use the device??

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can top that, I've lost count but I believe I am working on phone number 13 in a year and a half. The last 6 phones Sprint has sent me have the awesome, prevents me from doing anything, unable to type a message without it automatically sending, horrible signal phone! Took my issue to Sprint every time after speaking with them and multiple supervisors both in store and on the phone...and...of course, same as you, they want to charge me to upgrade or replace this phone for another one that most likely does the same thing. Stuck in this contract for another few months and nothing I can do besides pay more money to get phone number 14

My bill is a little less then $1200, which includes the cost the first phone that gave me this issue that I got through total equip. protection thinking it was something I did. After reading that a ton of people were having the same issue, one would think it wouldn't be that big of a deal to replace these phones at no cost, especially when their paying the $8 a month insurance! COME NO NOW SPRINT, GIVE US A BREAK! We are all spending money something we cannot even use and that you wont even acknowledge has a problem...disappointed that a big carrier such as yourself  cannot even provide their customers with a working device 

Highlighted
Master

murphy0861,

I do apologize you are having these issues. We definitely don't want you to know have a working device or signal concerns.

Let's go ahead and look into this for you further. Can I have your zip code and any cross streets?

Thank you,

George M.
Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

I stumbled on to this thread from a google search.  I am having the exact same issue as most of the people on this thread, but I was turned away at the Sprint store.  I'm hoping one of the social care team members can help me get my foot in the door to getting better help here.  On Nov 9 I turned my phone in for repair due to a stuck power button issue.  I was told that this is a common issue for S2 phones and that the only option was to exchange my phone for a refurb.  The gentleman doing the repair provided the refurb and was very helpful.  About a week into having the new phone, I started noticing intermittent menu pop ups.  I thought it was due to a dirty screen or usb port.  I cleaned both and the issue went away.  It returned again and just like the posts said, it was in areas where I had very little coverage.  I remember that now due to frustration with both issues.  I went into the Sprint store and was told that I had to drop the phone off overnight for a repair.  Because I manage a server ops team and am always on call, I couldn't afford to be without the phone overnight.  The same gentleman who replaced my phone the last time knew exactly what it was and pinpointed the issue right there - "i'm going to have to replace the screen.  Come back and we'll take care of it".  Because I work a lot, I never had time to turn the phone in for a few hours until this weekend.  Unfortunately, after waiting an hour, and then turning the phone in, I was told by a completely different tech and the manager that I had corrosion on the usb port and that they would not be repairing my phone.  I had the phone for less than a month before the issue popped up and I've had it for less than 2 months and they're now claiming corrosion.  I had the old phone for nearly two years with no corrosion. I have no issue charging or transferring data with the very same port on the refurb that Sprint gave me.  It's clearly not due to corrosion and even if it is, Sprint gave me a refurb with corrosion already on the micro usb port.  I refuse to pay the insurance deductible for this, when this is clearly circumstances less in my hands and more in Sprint's.  The manager said he believed me, but would not be able to help me out - his words. 

Highlighted
Master

JASONINVA

Thanks for posting. Please private message us with your Sprint number and pin so we can take a closer look at this with all the account details in front of us. 

Andrew B.
Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

75211, I use my phone for work and school,  well when it works. Now its merely a paper weight/table ornament. It is the most frustrating thing,  were all stuck with no resolution to an obvious issue and our only solution is to pay more money towards a new device. Why would any of us want to do that if there's no help when issues like this arise. You have to admint 14 replacement phones in a year and a half is a little ridiculous, 1 was my fault which I paid for. 13 other phones all had issues. How is it that the refurbished phones even make it out the warehouse,  so many things i don't understand and tired of trying to

Highlighted
Master

murphy0861,

You’re frustrated, we understand. In order to provide accurate information please provide us with the nearest intersection to where you run into the service issues. Also, what model handset do you currently own? 

Eduardo 
Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the galaxy s2,  intersection is w clarendon and westmoreland.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat