cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent problem with Menu popping up uncommanded [Solved!]

Journeyman

Intermittent problem with Menu popping up uncommanded [Solved!]

I have suffered this problem since acquiring this phone (Samsung Galaxy S II SPH-D710, otherwise known as Epic 4G Touch), and I have researched it much as I could.  I had hoped that perhaps the Jelly Bean update (hopefully soon to be issued) would fix the problem, however, I have just found this post which indicates that it is actually a hardware problem.

Is this problem identical between my phone and the one being discussed in the link (the Samsung Fascinate)?

Message was edited by: DarkAvionics

Marked as solved, cleaned up external link

137 REPLIES 137
Community Manager

Re: Intermittent problem with Menu popping up uncommanded

DarkAvionics,

I have a feeling I know what's going on but need to ask you some questions to be sure.  Does this happen all the time, no matter where you are?  If so, can I please have your home zip code and nearest major cross streets?  If it only happens sometimes, can you give me a general idea where you are when it occurs?  Same will apply, zip code (if you have it, if not city/state and cross streets will help)?

Edited to add:

I know it seems like the location shouldn't matter but if I'm correct, it matters very much.  We just got some documentation on what I think is this exact problem and it's tied to location/coverage. 

*Christy

Social Care Team

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

Christy,

I live in 93662, work in 93727; since I work inside a metal building, my signal is intermittent at best.  I encounter this problem both at home and at work.  Setting the phone to Airplane mode will cause the menu problem to abate after a time.  This means, of course, that I cannot use the phone for calls or messages.

Community Manager

DarkAvionics,

Now I'm positive, when I did some research I found a very recent fix posted for this.  It will involve a visit to a service and repair location to resolve.  I'll feel better if you allow me to put in a ticket for the repair techs to reference when they analyze the phone.  I'm sending you a private message with some information I'll need to get started.

(is it a little geeky that I have the shivers to have possibly tracked down a very elusive issue?  ah well, I'm a little geek so that's ok!)

*Christy

Sprint Social Care Team

SeaWolf
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

Christy,

Being a geeky type myself (and an electronics mechanic to boot), I'd be very interested in learning any information regarding this fix.

Community Manager

Thanks for sending me the information I needed, DarkAvionics.  The published issue appears to be a problem with a part associated with the touch screen (no real surprise there) that only occurs in poor coverage situations.  I've got those tickets submitted for you and am looking forward to hear how it goes at the store!

P.S.  Yay!  Fellow geek

*Christy

Sprint Social Care Team

SeaWolf

Journeyman

I have the SAME exact issue with my phone.  Same exact phone as well.  at first I thought it was my screen protector being dirty so  I kept cleaning it.  It only happens with me at work where I either have 1 bar or zero bars reception.    Anywhere else i'm fine (over two bars reception)    What is the fix for this?

Wizard

DarkAvionics

Hey there. Just wanted to follow up as to whether you were able to make it into a repair center for a fix. Please update us. Your resolved experience can help many here on Sprint Community. Thanks.

Ruth E

Social Care Team

Wizard

sergfro

Oh no! As previously posted, look like our Sprint service and repair center can best assist with this issue. Are you familiar with a location in your area? If not, visit http://sprint.com/storelocator.

Ruth E

Social Care Team 

Journeyman

Ruth,

I have not yet been able to get to a service center.  Is this fix going to take a lot of time?  I haven't much time to hang out at a repair center and I can't be without my phone for very long this week.

Community Manager

Hi Dark Avionics,

Sorry for the confusion.  The fix is to replace a part associated with the screen.  The technicians will need to take at least the front part of the phone apart but if you like, I can place a call to a repair location and find out how long they estimate it takes.  Most repairs of this kind only take a couple hours, not days.  Let me know if you'd like me to make the call.

Thanks

*Christy

Sprint Social Care

SeaWolf

Journeyman

Christy,

If you don't mind, I would like to know how long.  I should be in town tomorrow, just need to know how long I will need to be up there.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat