ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent problem with Menu popping up uncommanded [Solved!]

Journeyman

Re: Intermittent problem with Menu popping up uncommanded

I took my phone into the Sprint store at 32 South Abbott Avenue, Milpitas, CA.  They asked for money for repairs, as usual.  The service guy eventually replaced the LED panel for free but it didn't fix it.  The phone still vibrates, blinks the softkey lights, flashes menus, and crashes on 3G.  Oddly, it can now get great GPS locks as long as it has a cell signal.

I can't wait until my contract is up.  It will be the last penny I pay to Sprint and Samsung.

Journeyman

Re: Intermittent problem with Menu popping up uncommanded [Solved!]

There is no solution to this problem, other than to replace the phone, or use the phone in an area with more service coverage.

Facts about this issue:

1. This is a design error made by Samsung that affects EVERY Sprint Epic 4g Touch (Samsung Galaxy S2).

2. The issue caused by being in a low signal area, and the phone has to boost transmission power to connect to a tower. This boost in power causes interference with the touch pad and makes it think it is receiving input.

3. There is NOTHING the average user can do to correct this issue themselves.

4. There is NOTHING a Sprint Rep or Tech can do to correct this issue for you. (They will ofter be in high signal areas and report the problem as non-existent)

5. Do NOT follow any guides to attempt to void the warranty of your device to correct this issue. In doing so you relieve Samsung of it's liability regarding this issue.

If you live or work in an area that that has low signal and you are always affected by this issue, your only option is to demand a replacement phone of a different model that is not affected by this issue.

If you encounter any issues.. Always refer to the following:

1. I was sold a model of phone with a major design flaw that is the sole fault of the manufacturer.

2. EVERY single phone of this model is affected.

3. I have the ability to choose a different carrier if this one is unwilling to provide a phone free from defect to use on their service.

4. This phone's flaws and defects were not disclosed to me at the time of signing a contract for service.

Journeyman

As you suggested, I went into my local Sprint store (Marion, Oh 43302).  A gentleman there informed me that he was due to receive a few replacement screens and would notify me once they arrived.  Two weeks passed and I hadn't received a phone call.  Today I went into the local store and was told that the parts didn't arrive and it was unlikely that they would receive any from here on out.  My Samsung Galaxy S2 is to the point where it is impossible to use away from my house (I have an airave) and the battery drains within a few hours (even with power save features enabled).  Thanks in advance for any help you're able to provide.

Journeyman

well i have been to my local sprint store 6 times for this same issue (menu popping) every time its a different excuse, first its cuz my softwares outdated, update to JBxx, same prob, go to sprint, same runaround telling me its software issue and their working on an update and that i need to waitfor that, do some research and find this thread about it being a hard issue.... this is really frustrating !!!

Journeyman

Hello Again All,

What I thought was fixed in my phone was not permanent.  It worked fine for a few weeks and began exhibiting the same behavior again after a screen replacement.  I have read a forum posting by and electronics tech who (obviously voids warranty) fixed the issue in a Samsung Fascinate which contains a similar setup in terms of the 3G antenna and controls as well as the touchscreen control chip.  It, and from what I gather, some other models of Samsung phones as well as some from other carriers besides Sprint also exhibit this annoying behavior.  The electronics tech added a few tiny surface mount capacitors to a few of the phones available to him and it fixed things right up.  Another thing he tried which he and some others also report to be working (less reliable fix, also voids warranty) is an operating system kernel patch.  It requires your phone to be rooted.

I have also spoken to around five students in the school where I work which have the S2 and they too have noticed the problem.

In an attempt to fix the problem, Sprint techs have told me to do a factory reset on my phone AFTER applying the Jelly Bean 4.1.2 update downloaded from Samsung.  I erased everything and started from day 1 with this update...  SAME PROBLEM. 

SAMSUNG AND SPRINT, WAKE UP!!!!  WORD IS SPREADING ABOUT YOUR INEPTITUDE AND FAILURE TO ADDRESS THIS ISSUE WHICH IS NOT ONLY CONFINED TO THE GALAXY S2!!!  READERS PLEASE LET SPRINT KNOW HOW YOU FEEL AND GIVE THEM A NUDGE ABOUT COMPENSATING US FOR THIS ISSUE!!!  THEY SHOULD ALSO BE CALLING SAMSUNG TO TASK ON THIS!

Note that the links below VOID YOUR WARRANTY and I do not recommend them!  The links are simply to illustrate my point!!!!

relevant links:
[BUG FIX] Phantom keypress and screen shot - xda-developers

[GUIDE] [FIXES BOTH: ICS & JB] ~~~ Phantom menu keypress EASY FIX!!! ~~~ - xda-developers

Regards,

tele2

Journeyman

Sprint can't continue this behavior if they plan on keeping me with their service.    Frustrating is an understatement.

Journeyman

Has anyone been able to fix this issue? I am dealing with Sprint right now about getting it fixed. I was promised a replacement phone then transferred to someone in the technical department who informed me because I am not eligible for an upgrade there is nothing they can do to fix it. Of course I'm not eligible I just bought this piece of junk 8 months ago...I didn't buy the insurance so they won't fix it except over the phone, which consists of telling me to reset the profile and reset my phone to factory standard over and over again. My frustration level is through the roof, the menu opens so much that my phone is basically unusable.

Journeyman

Christy,

Can you please help me. My phone has been acting like this for months, I've called in multiple times and have been given the run around about getting my phone fixed. I was promised a replacement because the known fix didn't work according to the man I spoke to on the phone, but upon being transferred to the technician I was told I couldn't get a new phone because I just got this one. I am at my wits end, my phone is basically unusable and it seems like Sprint is more interested in giving me the run around then trying to fix my problem.

Help please!

Aryn

Journeyman

Do one for me to San Antonio TX all over, I have over 10G of info on mine also so yall can not send it away, respond to my email address on file, about to throw phone through wall until I saw this.

Journeyman

Hi Christy,

Can you provide information on how to get this repaired.  I took it into a local store and they were not helpful.  Who can I contact or ship the phone back to for repair.  The random menu activation is making the phone useless as it interferes with operations.  Please send me a PM or reply to this thread.

Thank you

Community Manager

I've just sent several PMs to folks who posted in the thread with this issue.  If I missed you, it was totally unintentional; please send me one and I'll get to looking at it for you as quickly as I can.

I'm always happy to set up appointments and even call to talk to a store if there seems to be a communication problem but I can't force a store to take any specific action.  Repairs do take a few hours, minimum and if the store doesn't have parts they may have to either order a replacement or wait for those parts.  I'll do everything I can to get the issue fixed but there are a few limitations.

*Christy

Sprint Social Care Team

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Journeyman

I have the same issue, so I went to the repair center in my town to have it addressed based on the posts I found here.  The service technician looked at me like I had four heads! Can I get someone to issue a ticket, or call the service center for me?  Thanks!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat