cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 8 unlock/migration process from Note 5

Highlighted
Journeyman

Note 8 unlock/migration process from Note 5

I've purchased a Note 8 from Samsung and currently use a Note 5.  Can someone walk me through (or point me to a link) explaining the process of unlocking the phone and getting the Note 8 to replace the Note 5 currently on my account.

Should I do this at a Sprint store?  And is there anything specific I need to do to ensure my content stored on the Note 5 will be transferred to the Note 8?  Is that stored/backed up by Sprint or Samsung so it can be downloaded to the new phone?

1 REPLY 1
Sprint Social Care

Re: Note 8 unlock/migration process from Note 5

Hello richards1052, To activate or swap your device, visit http://sprint.co/1RW6bh9 and follow the on-screen instructions.

In order for transfer the content, make sure you back up your Note 5. Follow the steps below:

How to Back Up Apps on your Galaxy Note 5 via Google

1. Tap the Apps icon from the Home
  2. Tap on Settings.
  3. Scroll to Personal.
  4. Tap Backup & reset.

More Hints:

• To back up any account data, Wi-Fi passwords, and other settings to Google servers, check the box next to Back up my data.
  • To restore backed up settings and data when re-installing apps, check the box next to Automatic restore.

Among other stuff you can back up through Google include your Google calendar settings, Wi-Fi networks & passwords, Home screen wallpapers, Gmail settings, apps installed via Google Play, display settings, language & input settings, date & time, and some third-party app settings and data. Apps installed via Google Play are usually backed up on the Play Store app.

How to Back Up Contacts on your Galaxy Note 5 via Google Account

1. Tap the Apps icon from the Home
  2. Tap on Settings.
  3. Tap on Accounts.
  4. Tap to select the account you want to sync.
  5. Tap the More icon to view more options.
  6. Tap on Sync now.

How to Back Up Media Files and Photos on your Galaxy Note 5

1. Tap Apps from any Home
  2. Tap My Files.
  3. Scroll to Local Storage.
  4. Tap Device storage.
  5. Tap More.
  6. Tap Share.
  7. Tap the content (s) you want to back up.

After selecting all contents to back up, tap Share again to start file sharing.

Specify the location you want the selected contents to be shared with. Once the location is specified, a progress bar shows until the file transfer is completed.

Once all important information on your Galaxy Note 5 is copied, you can easily restore them from the computer whenever necessary.

Jeffrey
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat