cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oreo Note 8 update

Journeyman

Oreo Note 8 update

I just bought a note 8 2 days ago and got the notification from Sprint to do the oreo update. I have heard a lot of bad things about it. It's really messing up people's phone a because it's not a Samsung update. When will it be safe to do the update? When will all of the bugs be worked out? I do not want my phone ruined.

7 REPLIES 7
Journeyman

Re: Oreo Note 8 update

Hey @Coley.

Thanks for reaching out to us. We still don't have an estimated time of when this update will be safer or when the manufacturer will be releasing an update to fix the bugs. Once we got any updates, we will let our customers know. Enjoy the rest of your day!

GrandMaster

for what its worth this isnt a Sprint update either..its a Google update that the manufacturer (in this case Samsung) then messes with to make it compatible with their phones. the carriers do a bit of testing to make sure it doesnt affect the network connection side of things and then gives the ok for the manufacturer to kick out over the carriers network.

out of curiosity what "bad things" have you been hearing about the update?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

@Coley wrote:

I just bought a note 8 2 days ago and got the notification from Sprint to do the oreo update. I have heard a lot of bad things about it. It's really messing up people's phone a because it's not a Samsung update. When will it be safe to do the update? When will all of the bugs be worked out? I do not want my phone ruined.

any update going to device has been verified via sprint google and Samsung. As for bugs after install, its the norm for some apps or functions to need adjusting.

Sprint Social Care

Hey dontcountmeout. We understand your hesitation. Ultimately is up to the user to make the decision as to how long they would like to wait to update a device. We don't have an exact time as to when the update will be free of bugs. You should refer to Samsung directly for more information about the update.

Juan
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

my update is stable on the sprint note 8 and i encourage the OP to update. I worked within Samsung recently so I state to safety of doing so. Im doing my part to help. Additionally, I participated on Samsung community  forums which I research the stability of the OTA. Yes thier decision. I stated simply pre requisites. They can always get it reflashed back to nougat for free from samsung reps  @  any best buy as a contingency plan.

Community Manager

Sorry for the confusion @dontcountmeout and thanks for lending your voice to answer questions.  That's what makes Communities like this one work, right?  Appreciate you!

SeaWolf
Sprint Community Manager & Customer Advocate
Captain of the Vicious Cream-puff
I encourage you to post your questions on the community, give Kudos when earned and always mark the correct answer as "Accepted Solution".

Master

I purchased my Note8 from Samsung and it is a Sprint branded phone, I updated to Orio the night it came out and I have not seen any issues.
You should be good to upgrade.
You might see some battery drainage the first day due to the phone upgrading apps and settings, but after you are done with everything, I would suggest to clear cache and power you phone off and back on (not a reboot, power off).
I come here trying to help people and I'm NOT employed by Sprint, so If my reply helped you or if you get an answer to your question from other users, PLEASE mark it as solved.
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat