cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAMSUNG EXCLAIM RECALL

Highlighted
Journeyman

SAMSUNG EXCLAIM RECALL

Please participate and sign this petition if you have had a bad Exclaim experience!
This is not a SPRINT bashing thread.  I have been a customer for a decade an although I doubt SPRINT values my loyalty (thanks for the $4.00 fee because I won't give you direct access to my bank account) I really have no problem with them OTHER than the fact that they are selling phones that are essentially lemons as incentives for upgrades and contract extensions.
I got my first Exclaim in August 2009.  That phone passed quietly into the night in about three weeks time after giving me the often fabled but seldom seen, "Black Screen of Death."  My second Exclaim functioned perfectly for a while but then after several months started dropping texts, losing texts and not receiving texts.  At that time I could not find much online support for my experience, but now it is OBVIOUS that this phone is a problem and needs to be fixed. 
Many of you have posted about having the same issues, constantly deleting memory, being unable to download upgrades, being told that the memory is full when in fact there is plenty available, tech support being unable to help.  Everything that I have read here is exactly what I have experienced.  I also refuse to reformat and risk losing all my contacts and pics, etc...In the world of the I-Phone this *explicative* is simply UNACCEPTABLE.  It's hard to defend continued patronage at this point and I think both SPRINT and SAMSUNG should really be embarrassed for essentially providing us with the TOYOTA of cell phones in this highly competitive and innovated cellular market.
That being said, I would like to confront SPRINT with the number of people who are dissatisfied with their Exclaim experience.  If you have purchased this phone and have had to have it replaced or have simply had a sub par experience with it as an owner (MODERATOR NOTE: REQUESTING PERSONAL INFORMATION IS PROHIBITED ON THE COMMUNITY) 
the number of years you have been a customer, whether or not you paid full price or if the phone was an upgrade, how many years are left on your contract, and a brief description of your Exclaim experience.  Sprint and Samsung need to step up and do the responsible thing by either offering a permanent and suitable fix, providing another phone, or crediting an additional upgrade to our accounts (within our contracted period).  As consumers it is time that we push for a RECALL of the SAMSUNG EXCLAIM.  

Message was edited by: izzyks

130 REPLIES 130
Highlighted
Journeyman

Well I have had my Exclaim for about 3 months and the piece that you plug your charger into only works if you rig something to it to hold it in.  This phone is junk and would not reccommend it to anyone!  Im out of contract in October and will be gone then.  Been loyal to Sprint/Nextel since 2001 but junk phone after junk phone, its time for a change

Highlighted
Journeyman

All the above complaints could have been made by me!  I only signed onto this site today to find help for my Exclaim!

My husband and I both got our Exclaim phones in July last year.  Of course things worked fine until the 31st day of having them.  Had they worked fine until the day before, we could have returned them.  Not only that, but we bought our phones through a licenced vendor - it definately wasn't the best buy for my buck.  When we wandered the vendor a few weeks later, we noticed they didn't have the Exclaims anymore.  The saleslady told us they had been discontinued, even though the Sprint store across the street still had them.

My phone is constantly telling me "memory full" when I receive a text message and I know there is more than enough memory.  I have to enter my facebook login and password about 5 times before it lets me in.  It used to save my login info, but now I have to enter it EVERY TIME!  If I am trying to send a text and another actually comes through at the same time, the one I'm sending goes to "pending" status.  Sometimes, my phone lights up for no reason after it's been idle for several minutes, and all I did was just look at it.

Oh, and I was told today, that dual slider phones are not good phones to have anyway because they are more prone to breakage.  Well, right after that, I was sliding the phone to get to the keyboard, and it jams on me.  When I try it again, a little metal piece comes poking out!

I have been a loyal Sprint customer since 2003, but now I'm thinking about chalking up the early termination fee and switching to Verizon.  Every phone I have bought from Sprint has been a dud one way or another.  But I never have left (yet), because everytime I change phones, I get roped into another 2 years of service with them!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just to update everyone from my previous post...

the very next day I took my 2nd defective Exclaim back to the sprint store (which I had just picked up the day before.) According to a discussion  I had  with a sprint tech in chat I was told to ask for an 'advanced exchange'. I even printed out the chat transcripts to bring with me.and showed the tech's at the sprint store. They of course made things difficult and said that they can not and will not let me order another phone. Instead they took a look at my 'rock' after I told them what was wrong with it(see above post for details.) After examining the phone they discovered it had a defective battery.( Really!!!??? I just recieved the phone the day before!!! How is the battery defective in a supposedly new  phone???) So they gave me another battery(which was not new by the way!) and the phone finally turned on. they transfered my contact list into the phone and off I went a very dissatisfied customer with my 2nd Exclaim, which I found to still have defects when I got home. The phone would turn off when I used the slider up or sideways as well as just turning off whenever it wanted randomly. The phone continued to heat up while powered on. I was furious by this point! I called up sprint and they offered to do the advanced exchange for me by sending me a new phone and allowing me to return this 2nd defective exclaim. I was somewhat encouraged by this until after they set up the entire exchange the sprint rep tells me I will recieve yet ANOTHER Exclaim in exchange for mine.(Are you kidding me???)  I wasn't too thrilled but went ahead with it since sprint is determined to see this 4 exchanges in 6 month policy through. That was all on saturday. By tuesday my 3rd Exclaim arrived and I sent the 2nd one back to sprint.

so here we are: Exclaim #3!

where to begin....

Exclaim #3 has similar problems to previous 2 phones!!! Including: Reception drops and gets cancelled out frequently, Facebook/Myspace login screen on One Click do NOT work!!!

New problems: One Click Screen dissapears while you are using one of it's features.

Text messages do not always send. Instead they get stuck and are listed as 'unknown id: failed.'

Speakerphone does NOT always work! I was talking to a friend today and I couldn't hear him and he couldn't hear me. This problem appears to be random but I will test it out some more.

Only had the phone for a few days and it has this many issues! Some are new and some are exactly as experienced on previous phones! I am still testing some of the previous issues when I use features like photo text mail, etc.....will post more when I discover it.

One other note: I could not transfer my contacts back in to the contacts section of the Excalim!!!! After calling sprint yet again about this I was told it can not be done via bluetooth!  So once again I had to trek to the sprint store to have them transfer my list from my old Instinct. Unbelievable!!!!

I will be SCREAMING at Sprint very soon!!!! If only my contract expired soon! I am STUCK until Feb 2012!!! (if I choose not to upgrade in Feb 2011.)

Sprint you really must be joking!!!! If you wish to retain customers try allowing them to exchange their defective(documented) phone for another model!!!! This is no way to treat a customer of 11 years!!!! I am extremely pissed now!!!!

ps: You owe me about $30 for gas wasted on 5 trips to the sprint store too!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I love my Exclaim...but have had two BIG issues with it.  First one I've had almost since day one...the keygaurd locks up on me.  The only way to get it to turn off is to turn the phone off and restart it.  It does this at least once a day.  The second thing has only been in the last week or so...texting issues.  When someone sends me a large text that needs to be broken into multiple texts...I only get about half of them.  We have a Sprint repair center in the next town...I'm going to take it to them and see if they can repair or replace it.  I like everything else about the phone...the size, the keyboards, the camera...just wish they could get these issues resolved.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I basicly have the same problem as you describd in your above post:

"The second thing has only been in the last week or so...texting issues.  When someone sends me a large text that needs to be broken into multiple texts...I only get about half of them." This also happens when sending large texts to another user.

Another issue I recently discovered on my 3rd Exclaim (which was also a problem on phone #2) is that it just randomly shuts itself off! It hasn't happened as much on #3 but it is still very annoying! (Update: the phone is starting to shut itself off more lately.  Averaging two three times a day up from once in awhile.)

Update 2: on June 8th I recieved a photo text from someone who had sent it 3 or 4 days ago!!!! Unacceptable!!! This phone is garbage!!!

The phone still heats up sometimes.

Will be in touch with Sprint yet again this week!

Message was edited by: njbango

Message was edited by: njbango

Highlighted
Journeyman

There is a woman at the repair center I mentioned who is spectacular at getting what she wants from Sprint. Going to see what she can do for me.  She is one of those people who seems like she could reach through the phone and start slapping you if you don't do what she says...lol.  I haven't had the phone shutting down issue...but my last Sprint phone (not the Exclaim) had the overheating issue.  I was well out of warranty but this gal at the repair center got it replaced with a new phone for me.  It was a $35 service fee...but much better than buying a whole new phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I HATE THIS PHONE! Nothing but problems. I GLADLY sign this petition. And thank you for taking the time to acknowledge that Sprint does not know what true definition of customer service is. Never again! -Megan-

Megan

Highlighted
Journeyman

I will gladly sign this petition.. I am a bit curious as to what color of phone everyone on here has... both my husband and I purchased our phones online in April and I will say that I toss my phone around everywhere and just dont really take much care of it.. but my husband who treats his phone like a baby is now going on his 3 Blue Exclaim.. both times he drops or never recieves calls and texts and his slider for the number keypad keeps breaking. When we first went to sprint he had only had the phone for 4days then the next one was able to live for about a month. Both times of course they gave us the no we've had any problems with this phone speech. He wants the new Hc something so he says next time it breaks hes going to just trade up but it does piss me off that they are saying that there are no problems when clearly there are.  Jeska

Highlighted
Journeyman

Jeska,

I have the pink phone. I will be going on my 3rd one too. All my calls cut out, my text messages never come through..it says something like 00 unused slots remaining, i don't get my emails, and it shuts off whenever it feels like it. This is so frustrating. I have been a Sprint customer for years! I also want the same phone your husband wants if I continue to have these problems but Sprint says that i would have to change my plan and extend my contract if i purchase that phone! UNREAL! I shouldn't have to do anything because they are selling a defective product to lure people into their games of contract extentions and more. I will get what i want,i think we all will if people continue to speak up about this piece of crap phone. Especially since we all seem to be on our 3rd one! -megan-

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will gladly go along with your petition.  Just started having problems with my exclaim last week (I've had it since 8/09).  Sprint tech support keeps telling me that it is tower problems.  Well I go sit under their tower and I still have no service.  Every time I make a call (if I can make one) it shuts down so to speak meaning I can't call out nor can I receive calls.  It has been doing this on and off for a week but over the last two days it has been staying in this mode.  I can still get data but even that is beginning to be flighty.   Messages such as call cannot be completed out of range when I'm under a sprint tower.  vision unavailable.  How many times do I need to tell tech support it is not a tower issue.  What is a good replacement phone?  4g is not in my area (va) so that is not an option.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i too also have the problem with the samsung exclaim...and sprint tells me the same thing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I went to a sprint store this morning and he helped me contact tech support once again and this time we tried a number of different things and it turned out to be what they call an msid code that would not reset so I am getting a new phone monday.  I will say that they went out of their way to help me today.  If you are having the same issues please go to a sprint store and have them contact tech support on your behalf.  Good luck.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat