cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAMSUNG EXCLAIM RECALL

Highlighted
Journeyman

SAMSUNG EXCLAIM RECALL

Please participate and sign this petition if you have had a bad Exclaim experience!
This is not a SPRINT bashing thread.  I have been a customer for a decade an although I doubt SPRINT values my loyalty (thanks for the $4.00 fee because I won't give you direct access to my bank account) I really have no problem with them OTHER than the fact that they are selling phones that are essentially lemons as incentives for upgrades and contract extensions.
I got my first Exclaim in August 2009.  That phone passed quietly into the night in about three weeks time after giving me the often fabled but seldom seen, "Black Screen of Death."  My second Exclaim functioned perfectly for a while but then after several months started dropping texts, losing texts and not receiving texts.  At that time I could not find much online support for my experience, but now it is OBVIOUS that this phone is a problem and needs to be fixed. 
Many of you have posted about having the same issues, constantly deleting memory, being unable to download upgrades, being told that the memory is full when in fact there is plenty available, tech support being unable to help.  Everything that I have read here is exactly what I have experienced.  I also refuse to reformat and risk losing all my contacts and pics, etc...In the world of the I-Phone this *explicative* is simply UNACCEPTABLE.  It's hard to defend continued patronage at this point and I think both SPRINT and SAMSUNG should really be embarrassed for essentially providing us with the TOYOTA of cell phones in this highly competitive and innovated cellular market.
That being said, I would like to confront SPRINT with the number of people who are dissatisfied with their Exclaim experience.  If you have purchased this phone and have had to have it replaced or have simply had a sub par experience with it as an owner (MODERATOR NOTE: REQUESTING PERSONAL INFORMATION IS PROHIBITED ON THE COMMUNITY) 
the number of years you have been a customer, whether or not you paid full price or if the phone was an upgrade, how many years are left on your contract, and a brief description of your Exclaim experience.  Sprint and Samsung need to step up and do the responsible thing by either offering a permanent and suitable fix, providing another phone, or crediting an additional upgrade to our accounts (within our contracted period).  As consumers it is time that we push for a RECALL of the SAMSUNG EXCLAIM.  

Message was edited by: izzyks

130 REPLIES 130
Highlighted
Journeyman

i recently bought the Samsung Exclaim in Feb. 2010. my phone worked great for about a month then all of a sudden i stopped recieving my texts, and my phone calls. im constantly turning  my phone off , taking the battery out for a few seconds then restarting my phone just to recieve the texyts thaat were sent to me hours ago. i never recieve my texts on time its always later. i can literally use another phone to call myself and i will not get any call at all which sucks so much. i hate this phone i would not recommend it to anyone. its not just the texts and the phone calls, i alos have a problem getting online and trying to use Sprint TV , like i said i constatnly have to turn my phone off and on justt to sue my phone. i knnow its not thhe service its the phone because i have been a customer for at least 6 years and my dad has been a customer for 10 years. its just this phone that really sucks .

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the white one and have had the same problems as your husband. My husband, however, has the blue one and hasn't had a problem with it. I don't think it has anything to do with the color, I think this is just a terrible product.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'll definitely sign this petition.

The browser is ridiculously slow and has "memory shortage" problems constantly.  I had to turn images off to even load some pages, absolutely ridiculous.

Give us an upgrade to the software or recall this POS phone.

Message was edited by: jhowerto1777

Highlighted
Journeyman

Add me to your list of dissatified Exclaim users! Absolutely the worst phone I've ever had: overheats, drops call, freezes up and the amount of time you have before recharging is a joke! Have taken my set in twice in the two months I've owned it and they claim there is nothing wrong with it!  This ten year customer will cut and run when my contract is up!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a white Exclaim.....and I have a few of the problems you all have commented on.  The first one is thatI can not update the firmware for my phone.  After reading all the BS you ppl have been through....I don't feel like going to the Sprint store to do this.  I don't have an hour to wait.  Unfortunately my partner has a Blackberry through Sprint and we are on the same acct.  She has just as many problems if not more.  Ever since getting her Blackberry last fall, she has not been able to receive any incoming texts.  We have to e-mail eachother.  And now....we don't always receive our e-mails from eachother either.  I get an error message everytime I send an email.....saying it didn't send, but guess what??  about 50 percent of the time it does send....so how am I supposed to know when it does or doesn't send??????  My partner has been to the Sprint store over and over.....new phone....upgrades....resets....etc.   NOTHING WORKS.....  I believe that these problems are not always the phones themselves....but instead Sprint towers and service.  Who knows??  All I know is that it is very frustrating.....and I am at the beginning of a new 2 year contract!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'VE HAD THE EXCLAIM FOR ALMOST A YEAR NOW.. AND THIS IS PROBABLY MY 5TH I LOST COUNT... PROBLEMS PROMBLEMS PROBLEMS... CANT DOWNLOAD FIRMWARE. WENT TO THE STORE AND HAD TO WAIT AN HR FOR THEM TO DOWNLOAD IT FOR ME.. AND I STILL HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS.. RIGHT NOW IM AT WRK N I CAN'T RECEIVE ANY TXTS.... I DNT KNOW IF ITS THE SIGNAL OR WHAT BUT I WASNT HAVING THIS PROBLEM IN THE PAST... N EVERYTIME U CALL CUSTOMER SER. THEY SEND U A REFURBISHED PHONE.. HOW WILL THAT HELP THE PROBLEM.. THEY NEED TO RECALL THIS PHONE IMMEDIATELY!!!

Highlighted

I will gladly sign this. The thing that upsets me is that whenever I call Sprint Customer Care they tell me that there is an issue with the towers in the area that I live in. This POS phone the Exclaim has been an issue for me for the whole year that I have had it. I have had it replaced twice, with it still doing the same problems. It wont upgrade well hasn't alloud an upgrade for the last four months. The dropping of calls and the famous 00mgs inbox full message keeps on poping up when people try to call and or send me a text message. And Sprint wont do anything about these issue's for me. I'm about to walk in to a Sprint store and throw the phone at one of the employees and tell them that I DO NOT WANT TO BE APART OF SPRINT ANYMORE AND THEY WILL NOT BE SEEING ANYMORE MONEY FROM ME. So that whole $200 canclation fee they can take care of themselfs. I thought that I hated T-mobile I am now wishing that I stuck with them, their customer service is  a whole lot better.

Adriane Lee

Highlighted
Journeyman

I love seeing consumers take control of these issues but let’s point this in the right direction shall we? Samsung makes these devices regardless of who sells them. Maybe it's time to take action against the maker Samsung. Sprint is merely a service provider; they can only do what they can. You buy the phone from Sprint who sold it to you at a loss (on average all carriers take your whole two year agreement to recoup loss), unless Samsung themselves is supplying the recall and replacements then Sprint has to eat the cost which means all consumers of Sprint eat the cost. I know it's easy to label the carriers as the bad guys because they sold you the phone but there is an easy solution. All carriers stop selling cell phones to consumers and branding them, then consumers have to buy phones directly from the maker and/or third party stores at the FULL cost of the device and the only time you have to be mad at your carrier is when they have an issue. Doesn't sound good to most of you I bet, who wants to buy a cell phone for $500 or more? Not me and who would support you? The carrier? The service works but the phone doesn't, well they aren't going to help in that case. So if you love buying cheap electronics from your carriers start going after the makers of the phones and put the pressure where it belongs, when Motorola failed to make their customers happy they lost their market share, you the consumer did that and can do that. I suggest we point this phone back to the source and tell them to stop using cheap parts with crappy engineering to build you something that doesn't last then we can all benefit from it.

Highlighted

The thing is that Sprint knew a few months after the phone was on the market that the phone had issues. They should have let the customers know that the phone had major issues and that they will be issuing a refund or a new phone that is one the Exclaim. Sprint is at fault for the keeping the phone on teh market when they know how many issues it has. I agree that Samsung should also be held accountable but it is also Sprints fault for allowing customers to puchase this phone and then not fixing it for the customer when they have had many issues with this phone. They just keep on trying to fix it when well trying to fix the issues does not work. I do not have to money to go and but a new phone and having a phone that craps out on me every three months is starting to get annoying. I have had this phone for a year now and it just seems to be just a waste of money. It is not a phone that I would recomend to anyone that I know. They do not even carry the phone in stores anymore because it is a POS they only sale it online. Sprint should take it their market and re-issue phones that work to the customers who have this phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have to agree that they knew this phone had issues.  When I bought my phones...I was online and had a question about the phones so I called Sprint to ask.  The salesperson actually tried to stear me to a different phone.  He never would come out and say the Exclaim was a POS...but he kept trying to talk me into a different phone by trying to sell me on the particular features.  Unfortunately for me...the features he was trying to sell were not that important to me and I continued on my course to buy the Exclaim.  The ideal solution here would be that Sprint give all Exclaim owners the option to change to a different phone...then take all of the defective Exclaims...dump them at Samsung's front door and demand they make it right or they will cease to do business.  Everyone wins this way...customers would be happy and not jumping ship in droves...and Sprint would either be reimbursed by Samsung or rid themselves of a very shoddy product supplier.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had one of the original posts on this thread.  BUT after the Sprint store made sure with my third phone that it was manufactured with the updated software I haven't had one problem with it.  I do like the phone and I have been a Sprint customer since 1989 or so.  Trying to upload the newer software doesn't work, they have to give you a phone with the updated software installed already.  After the sixth phone they have to give you a different model.  My store was going to give me a different model if this third one didn't work.  I only wish I didn't have to always log into Facebook every time I wanted to access it.  Sure I can view stuff, but I have to log in to it to do anything else.  If anyone knows the fix to stay logged in, please post.  Good luck.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Which sounds like a good plan in TV land but this is real life. The carriers sign agreements with the phone makers like Samsung here, they agree to sell x amount of their products for x amount of time, they also have NDA's that prevent them from giving out certain info, declaring a stock of devices to be defective, etc. If a sales person is trying to steer you away from a device maybe they know something but they cannot tell you without risking their own jobs from their employer. Yes it is unfair to you, but there is ways to work around this. Don't buy a first generation device unless your willing to accept that there may be issues, research the web before buying a product, there is so much info out on the internet for you to find, if you make the argument that you searched the web and found other users with the same problems after you started having problems most of the time I'm going to say you could have found that as well before you bought it. No consumer product is perfect but speak with your wallet, do not buy products no matter how cheap or "feature rich" that the manufacture makes them seem to be. This isn't a problem limited to cellular service providers, cable providers, isp's with specific modems, vehicles, tons of different industries have similar things happen and contracts may prevent the provider/seller to tell you directly about the issue(s).  The manufacture is the one that has to admit issues with their devices.

"The ideal solution here would be that Sprint give all Exclaim owners the option to change to a different phone...then take all of the defective Exclaims...dump them at Samsung's front door and demand they make it right or they will cease to do business. "

That isn't going to happen, Sprint cannot change you to a different phone without taking a hit to their bottom line (i.e. it will cost them money which cost you money), the carriers do bring up issues to the manufactures and tell them they need the issues fixed but it all comes back to contracts and money. If it will cost the manufacture more money to fix the issue (time, worker pay, testing, development, etc) they will either fix it when they have made a large fix for the device or not at all. That’s why you should be directing this canon where it belongs and that’s Samsung's door. All the cellular carriers are doing their best on their services but even they are contracted to the device manufactures, Sprint isn't the only carrier to have problems phones, they all have and it will keep happening until the real reason gets dealt with. I can point you to any cellular carrier’s forums to see their customer complaining about different devices from different manufactures and you can see for yourself, it’s up to you the consumer to put the foot down.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat