cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAMSUNG EXCLAIM RECALL

Highlighted
Journeyman

SAMSUNG EXCLAIM RECALL

Please participate and sign this petition if you have had a bad Exclaim experience!
This is not a SPRINT bashing thread.  I have been a customer for a decade an although I doubt SPRINT values my loyalty (thanks for the $4.00 fee because I won't give you direct access to my bank account) I really have no problem with them OTHER than the fact that they are selling phones that are essentially lemons as incentives for upgrades and contract extensions.
I got my first Exclaim in August 2009.  That phone passed quietly into the night in about three weeks time after giving me the often fabled but seldom seen, "Black Screen of Death."  My second Exclaim functioned perfectly for a while but then after several months started dropping texts, losing texts and not receiving texts.  At that time I could not find much online support for my experience, but now it is OBVIOUS that this phone is a problem and needs to be fixed. 
Many of you have posted about having the same issues, constantly deleting memory, being unable to download upgrades, being told that the memory is full when in fact there is plenty available, tech support being unable to help.  Everything that I have read here is exactly what I have experienced.  I also refuse to reformat and risk losing all my contacts and pics, etc...In the world of the I-Phone this *explicative* is simply UNACCEPTABLE.  It's hard to defend continued patronage at this point and I think both SPRINT and SAMSUNG should really be embarrassed for essentially providing us with the TOYOTA of cell phones in this highly competitive and innovated cellular market.
That being said, I would like to confront SPRINT with the number of people who are dissatisfied with their Exclaim experience.  If you have purchased this phone and have had to have it replaced or have simply had a sub par experience with it as an owner (MODERATOR NOTE: REQUESTING PERSONAL INFORMATION IS PROHIBITED ON THE COMMUNITY) 
the number of years you have been a customer, whether or not you paid full price or if the phone was an upgrade, how many years are left on your contract, and a brief description of your Exclaim experience.  Sprint and Samsung need to step up and do the responsible thing by either offering a permanent and suitable fix, providing another phone, or crediting an additional upgrade to our accounts (within our contracted period).  As consumers it is time that we push for a RECALL of the SAMSUNG EXCLAIM.  

Message was edited by: izzyks

130 REPLIES 130
Highlighted
Journeyman

I understand your point...however being a business owner myself, I have to disagree with a few concepts.  If I sell a product that turns out to be a lemon, and I have customers coming to me in droves asking me to fix the problem...I'm not going to blow them off just because I'm not at fault.  If I know that a customer is having legitimate problems with a product (not due to misuse or abuse), I'm going to do everything I can to stand behind that customer and get the problem fixed.  If the manufacturer refuses to rectify the problem, as a distributor of their product I'm going to be putting pressure on them make it right. If they won't do that then I will discontinue doing business with that manufacturer or supplier.  Yes I know that they have contracts to fulfill but I'm sure those contracts must include an agreement to provide some level of quality and product support.  In the end, I am the one who is going to be held accountable by the customer...so I have to decide if I want to lose that customer and my good name forever, or take care of the problem myself.  If Sprint is losing customers (and from the sound of this message board...they are) and their reputation is being tarnished, eventually THAT is going to effect bottom line.  I have learned my lesson about not researching the phone more prior to purchasing it...however I can tell you that I've been with Sprint for more than 10 years...and never had a problem with any other Sprint phone.  So when shopping for this phone, I had no reason to believe or expect there would be a problem because I felt that Sprint was carrying good quality products.  I will probably never buy a Samsung again (since this happened to me I found out my brother in law is on his fourth Samsung Instinct) and I will definitely do a lot more research before getting any other phone from Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

"I will definitely do a lot more research before getting any other phone from Sprint." I suggest you fully research EVERY cell phone you buy no matter who is the carrier, your still not doing your self justice as a consumer, research research research research; you have the power use it. At that same point don’t stop at cell phones, an informed consumer is powerful consumer. Don't pin it on one company and assume all the others don't have problems as well. The carriers do try their best to help their customers but you sound like you’re running a small business that orders from distributors and not on the scale of a large corporation. There is a different mind set there; anyone that’s worked in corporate America for a large corporation knows this. And if Samsung wasn’t holding their end of the contract with Sprint then I’m sure there is something in there that forces Samsung to give concessions, recalls, etc but that doesn’t mean this one product is going to cause that. Every carrier loses customers every quarter, there is less grow with new customers now so they all fight for the same customers. So lets go back to my first idea, don’t buy the phone from the carriers and buy them directly from the maker, buy it at the real full price and when it has a problem are you still going to blame Sprint? I think not and if you ask yourself that question truthfully then you’d agree. My great service doesn’t get trumped because of a cell phone issue that my carrier has nothing to do with and that’s why I’m still here. I’ve been to the other carriers and I wasn’t happy, until/if that day comes with Sprint then I will do my homework and be an informed consumer.

Message was edited by: talon0226

Highlighted
Journeyman

this is EXACTLY how my post would've sounded:

My phone is constantly telling me "memory full" when I receive a text message and I know there is more than enough memory.  I have to enter my facebook login and password about 5 times before it lets me in.  It used to save my login info, but now I have to enter it EVERY TIME!  If I am trying to send a text and another actually comes through at the same time, the one I'm sending goes to "pending" status.  Sometimes, my phone lights up for no reason after it's been idle for several minutes, and all I did was just look at it.

Oh, and I was told today, that dual slider phones are not good phones to have anyway because they are more prone to breakage.  Well, right after that, I was sliding the phone to get to the keyboard, and it jams on me.  When I try it again, a little metal piece comes poking out!

i got on the sprint site to try to figure out where my mysterious "outbox" was that all my text messages get sent to when it decides not to send them. i was also trying to figure out why i keep getting a "00 unused slots, memory full" message when a text comes thru. i just love how it tells me that and then deletes the text before i even get it. i'm so frustrated with sprint. i've been a customer since 2000 & have always had more than one line on my account. apparently now i'm a premier customer and i get "perks". ha, what a joke. sprint's phone are a joke, as well as there customer service. what is the point of exchanging one bad phone for another, why aren't we allowed to get a totally different model without being charged an arm and a leg?

Highlighted
Journeyman

this is my 6th exclaim, yes ... my 6th one! first the keyboard mysteriously got locked, then the networking service, then the charger port a couple times, and now i'm ready to jsut throw this phone. it keeps restarting itself, even on full battery. it's driving me insane & i'm about to go striahgt back to the store & demanda different phone. i can't take this anymore.

Highlighted
Journeyman

OMG!!! I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST ME!! ONE AFTERNOON I PICKED UP MY EXCLAIM TO MAKE A CALL AND THE SCREEN WAS BLACK... IT NEVER TURNED ON AGAIN NOT AFTER CHARGING IT UP OR EVEN WHILE IT WAS CONNECTED TO THE CHARGER.  SPRINT SENT ME OUT ANOTHER ONE THAT WAS DOA!! ALL IT COULD DO WAS MAKE CALLS.  AND NOW I'M EXPERIENCING NETWORKING PROBLEMS.  EVERYONE IN THE HOUSE HAS SPRINT YET MY PHONE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT DOESN'T HAVE SERVICE EVEN WHEN ALL THE BARS ARE FULL!!  I SO WANT ANOTHER PHONE BUT ALL THEY ARE WILLING TO DO IS SEND ME OUT ANOTHER EXCLAIM!! DEFINATELY COULD USE  A RECALL!!  OH YEAH AND I'VE HAD THE MEMORY PROBLEM 2 AND HAVE BEEN FORCED TO ERASE EVERYTHING ON MY PHONE LOSING ALL PICS THAT ARE NOT SAVED TO MEM CARD AND RINGTONES AND CONTACTS.  AND OF COURSE THEY BLAME IT ON THIRD PARTY RINGTONES BUT I BEG TO DIFFER!!

Message was edited by: 3096430408

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had my phone for a month now. Every time I go to use one of the messangers on my phone, it freezes and then lines go through the screen. I noticed that when I charge my phone, it shuts itself off when it wants to. I accidently placed my phone in a little bit of water on the counter and now my phone won't turn on at all. I've never had problems wit a phone from sprint until now. I think that if we have to deal with these problems and Sprint isn't willing to fix them, then they need to make deductions to our bills. If they are not willing to do any of this then I am prepared to break my contract and go somewhere else and receive service.

Highlighted
Journeyman

wow! i thought it was just me with the problems i've been having with my phone! i have experianced most or all or similar problems with my blue exclaim. i loved it the first few weeks of owning it. then i noticed that the battery never stays charged. it's the first sprint phone i've ever had that i have to charge after 8 hours (of NOT using it). the battery seems to get overly hot. it freezes up often. recently txts will not go through. then when they do i find out the re receiver gets multiples of the same txt from me. i cant seem to use the instant messaging from aol, yahoo, or msn. which i have accouts with all 3. i now cant load music from my pc to my microSD card like it says you can do. i cant save pic that i have dowloaded from websites such as phonezoo.com. or rather i cant set them as screensavers where they get saved. ringtones from some websites will not stay set. so half the time i never hear my phone because the ringtone wont work. recently after the phone freezes up i noticed it gets black lines through the screen. there seems to be many problems with this phone, and i don't understand why sprint has aloud it to go on. let alone not offer new phones to those of us who have had problems with it. and i don't mean a "new" exclaim either! we should be able to exchange our phones for a different modle/brand that is less/equal to the excalim! i have a whole year yet before i can even upgrade my phone. i have been a sprint customer for over 5 yrs and NEVER have had a problem with them or my phones. this makes me want to see what another company can offer me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I received my exclaim in February 2009 and have had it replaced twice.  The first two phone would take over and hour to send or receive messages and then I started getting the memory full message even thought I had NO messages.  Every time I called customer service they claimed they knew nothing about this problem.  Finally with this phone they told me there was now a upgrade to fix the memory flitch BUT when I tried to download it my phone would just freeze half way through and I'd have to turn it off and restart it.  I was then informed that I would have to travel to a store(45 miles from me) and have them force the update!  That worked for about 5 months on the 3rd phone.  Now my phone doesn't want to charge, when I plug it in the light goes on and off and it won't charge completely and I'm now starting to get the memory error message again.  This phone is crap!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been with Nextel/.Sprint since the days of the "bag phones" if you can remember those. Last July I bought 3 Samsung Exclaims for myself and my 2 daughters.  My oder 21 yr old started having problems immediately. She eventually got so frustrated that she bought a blackberry at full price to get rid of her Exclaim. My younger daughter kept complaining about various things on her phone but I wasn't listening to a 14 yr old. Then I started having problems. They replaced an internal cable and I had no trouble for about a month. I am not a heavy phone user, but I started having problems a lot. The most frustrating thing is when the phone is ringing and you can't answer it no matter what buttons you press. I kept taking in phones for replacements only to have problems with those phones as well. One time I went in to pick up the replacement phone and it didn't work already at the Sprint store! Yesterday I went in to get 2 replacement phones. One hour later one of the phones is messing up already. I think I am on phone number 9 by now.  Sprint tells me I can only replace the phone with an identical one. I cannot change for any other. I am ready to whip 3 phones against a brick wall! Looking at changing over to AT&T.

Highlighted
Journeyman

so recently your not the only one who has bought this phone. I have bought one about 4months ago before I went in for back surgery, have had this phone replaced TWO TIMES now since then.  the first time I got the phone something kept coming up "Awaiting data refresh" we took it in and they tried to fix it, they put internet on it for a temporary and it didnt go away.. they tried updating and everything *the phone updates automatically if you don't do it* well they gave me a new phone, here goes phone number 2 one night I was sitting up and noticed my screen lit up and it was vibrating, so I was like oh well I have a text message this late at night?? *3am* so I go to check it out get in and read my text as im going to reply... my WHOLE screen just freezes so I brushed it off and gave it a minute or two, it still didn't change so I pushed the end and some other buttons. I ended up having to take out my battery and turn it back on, so I did that and a couple hours later it froze again.. I got annoyed with the phone finally took it to sprint again... They have recently given me an all new phone together.. *July 21st* well this phone has froze on me to. I asked about getting a completely different phone.. I was denied, there is something wrong with these phones in general and now sprint is trying to cover up. it's not to wise for us money spending people and it's rather annoying..

Highlighted
Journeyman

My sprint store no longer carries the Samsung Exclaim. I had all the problems you guys did............i went through three phones, then i finally dragged my dad in there today and he demenaded a diffrent phone, nom im stuck with an LG Rumor 2 which im not pleased with. Im heading back to sprint in the morning.....................................ugh! my faimly though has had good experience with there phones though.........i hope to improve mine.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too, thought it was only my phone.  My husband and I got a plan together in November of 2009 and each got an Exclaim.  He's been a Sprint customer for about 3 years, I was a 15 year Verizon customer.  I had to have my Exclaim replaced in February of 2010, and by April I had called in to complain again.  Instead of listing what I CANNOT do, this is what I can do...make phone calls, sometimes.  I only receive 1 out of 10 calls and we won't even talk about every other function that I can't use/utilize.  My husband has had issues with his phone freezing up on certain contacts, missing texts/picture messages, but mostly his works fairly well.  It doesn't hold a charge as well as it did when it was brand new, battery is only 8 months old.  I haven't bothered to go back to Sprint because when they tell you that you are getting a new, replacement phone it's BS!!! I GOT A REFURBISHED EXCLAIM!  They told me it was the best they could do for me.  I am livid that they could just take away my BRAND NEW PHONE AND REPLACE IT WITH A PHONE THAT HAS BEEN "FIXED UP" BUT USED NONE-THE-LESS!!!!  I WILL go back and demand a different model, brand new off the shelf of comparable value and abilities.  I was frustrated before I read all the postings on this site, now I am beyond P-O'd!!!  I will NOT pay anything towards a different phone, this is not my fault.  In fact, when I brought my phone into the Sprint store the first time, they asked me how much I abused/used my phone.  When I asked the manager to look at it, he was nice and said to the customer servic rep. that it didn't look used at all.  No, I did not drop it in my toilet, on the ground, let a child "play" with it (mine is 16 with her own phone), etc as the CSR implied.  I was made to feel like I didn't know how to take care of a cell phone.  I have had a cell phone since 1996!!!  My first VERIZON phone lasted me 11 years!!!!  When I told them that, I was told to feel free to pay to break the contract and go back to verizon or wait until my contract was up.  Thanks for the great customer service...NOT!!!!

I agree, EXCLAIMS SHOULD BE RECALLED!

Thanks for giving me the right to be angry!

Kim

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat