cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAMSUNG EXCLAIM RECALL

Highlighted
Journeyman

SAMSUNG EXCLAIM RECALL

Please participate and sign this petition if you have had a bad Exclaim experience!
This is not a SPRINT bashing thread.  I have been a customer for a decade an although I doubt SPRINT values my loyalty (thanks for the $4.00 fee because I won't give you direct access to my bank account) I really have no problem with them OTHER than the fact that they are selling phones that are essentially lemons as incentives for upgrades and contract extensions.
I got my first Exclaim in August 2009.  That phone passed quietly into the night in about three weeks time after giving me the often fabled but seldom seen, "Black Screen of Death."  My second Exclaim functioned perfectly for a while but then after several months started dropping texts, losing texts and not receiving texts.  At that time I could not find much online support for my experience, but now it is OBVIOUS that this phone is a problem and needs to be fixed. 
Many of you have posted about having the same issues, constantly deleting memory, being unable to download upgrades, being told that the memory is full when in fact there is plenty available, tech support being unable to help.  Everything that I have read here is exactly what I have experienced.  I also refuse to reformat and risk losing all my contacts and pics, etc...In the world of the I-Phone this *explicative* is simply UNACCEPTABLE.  It's hard to defend continued patronage at this point and I think both SPRINT and SAMSUNG should really be embarrassed for essentially providing us with the TOYOTA of cell phones in this highly competitive and innovated cellular market.
That being said, I would like to confront SPRINT with the number of people who are dissatisfied with their Exclaim experience.  If you have purchased this phone and have had to have it replaced or have simply had a sub par experience with it as an owner (MODERATOR NOTE: REQUESTING PERSONAL INFORMATION IS PROHIBITED ON THE COMMUNITY) 
the number of years you have been a customer, whether or not you paid full price or if the phone was an upgrade, how many years are left on your contract, and a brief description of your Exclaim experience.  Sprint and Samsung need to step up and do the responsible thing by either offering a permanent and suitable fix, providing another phone, or crediting an additional upgrade to our accounts (within our contracted period).  As consumers it is time that we push for a RECALL of the SAMSUNG EXCLAIM.  

Message was edited by: izzyks

130 REPLIES 130
Highlighted
Journeyman

My exclaim is doing the same thing! Screen is freezing up more and more frequently, it was an awesome phone the first 4 months, but it is slowly going down hill.  I have put off taking it in because you stated I received a brand new phone why should I have to take a refurbished phone for  a mfg'ers  mistake....

thanks for speaking up!

B. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree.....I have the exclaim I thought it was a good phone until a couple of months ago....the first exclaim that I had the screen would scramble and do some weird stuff. Everytime that I had it on the charger it would heat up and the red light would turn a orange-ish color, something about the temperature would show up on the screen and not only would it heat up on the charger it happened when I would talk to somebody and I could feel it while it happened. Also I had problems with my txt messages, I had to call to see why I wasn't receiving txt message even thought my txt message alert would go off. I also had to get my phone rebooted, but that sucked because I didnt have some numbers saved in my phone so I lost those.  It was getting on my nervous so I called for a replacement. When I got my replacement it was a bad one when I open the phone sideways the screen would go black so in order to get the screen back on I had to take the battery out over and over, so I had to go in and request a third one. So far the third one has no problems yet, besides the heating up part and always dropping calls but I think its the service on that one. Does anyone else phone eat up either on the charger or when you are talking?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Now that I think about it there have been messages people told me they sent I did not get or messages waiting for me that my alert did not ring about...... I have not yet had an issue with the battery light changing colors but have felt it get warm .....Oh brother.....

thanks for the warnings of what is to come ....

Highlighted
Journeyman

I believe that the "orange-ish" colored light is the color that lights up if you have a message while the phone is charging.....  not sure.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The red light blinks when I get a message or anything else

The only time the orangeish color happens is when the phone is really HOT on the charger and the screen say heat tempature something something...and when I say HOT...I mean it....I really hate that it does it when I talk on the phone.....but when it does it on the charger i take it off until it cools down,,,also I am taking my  phone to sprint tomorrow to see whats up with my heating source problem

Highlighted
Wizard

Okay, people are misunderstanding regarding the display of the orange light.  I have the blue Samsung Exclaim phone going on 5 months now and I have enough knowledge of the phone to help out with some things.  The orange light is a result of New Alerts, such as new Text Message.  Since I am deaf, I do not know if the orange light will display for Missed Call Alert.  Without charging, when a text message is received, the red blinking light comes on.  While charging, it is the orange blinking light instead.  It has nothing to do with the battery heat.  When the battery complete the charging phase, the green light come on.  Once again, there is nothing to worry about the orange blinking light.  As for the battery overheating during charging, that is a major defect for the phone.  It only overheat when you are actively doing things on the phone while it is being charged.  Obviously, you do not need to be using the phone while it is being charged.  I do not use my phone when it is being charged.  When I need to use it while it is charging, I disconnect the power source.  The defect I believe is when the phone is not capable of distributing the electric energy evenly or something like that.  I'm not really worried about the overheating issue...as I had said.

I do have a complaint about this phone.  I am unable to view videos on the Internet, but then again, it is not an Internet-friendly phone. What really angers me is when someone forward me a text with animated picture, it does NOT animate on this phone.  Once again, another major defect.  I'd have to forward the text to an email address and then look from there to see the animation.

Highlighted
Wizard

Also, I want to give my opinion regarding Sprint's action for customers with these phones.  I am constantly reading how people have to frequently exchange their phones only to find that the replacement has to be of the same...Exclaim.  Sprint is not listening to the voice of their customers crying out for replacement of another phone brand.  What Sprint has done, and continue to do so, is either replacing their phones for a new Exlaim or even worse....replacing with a refurb'ed phone.  I honestly do not see what the harm for Sprint to allow customers to exchange for a phone of equal or lesser value!  These are PAYING customers and Sprint has got to get their acts together, seriously.  I see customers willing to pay the price difference for a phone that cost more, such as the EVO.  This is a public outcry that Sprint is very well aware of, but chooses to ignore it.

My advice is to just keep calling and emailing them begging for an Early Upgrade to a phone of your choice.  Threaten them by leaving for another carrier or however creative you can be.  The key is to keep pecking at them until they buckle.  We have customers successfully receiving the Early Upgrade for a better phone.  I am considering on making the jump for EVO as well.  I love my Exclaim and I don't really have a problem with it, but it is just not deaf-friendly as I had thought it to be.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint service sucks!!!!! I am on  my third exclaim, have had it less than two months and it is alredy messing up. Dropping calls for no reason, screen going black, battery getting extremely hot and half the time I don't get text or calls. I have begged them for an early upgrade and even agreed to pay for it, but they won't do it. So much for the customer is always right, not with sprint. I'm paying $130.00 a month for this phone and I expect better service than this. If anyone else has had this problem and got an early upgrade plzzzzzzzz let me know what to do.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just wanted to let everyone know about my return experience; I went to one of only two repair centers in my area on a Saturday. I did not know when I walked though the door, that I was suppose to give my name to the non-existent employee at the front desk. I realized after seeing the list of names on an electronic board and around 40 other customers already waiting and by this time, three other customers had now formed a line at the desk where an employee was not. I finally gave my name and waited for almost 2 hours. I talked to a lady who said that she was on her fifth Exclaim and that I would have to leave the phone and return to pick it up. I talked to another woman (Bianca) who had been returning her husbands Exclaim, but told me that she had tried to return her phone one month ago and did not have insurance and was told even though her battery did not have water damage that her phone had water damage according to the tech there. She told me her phone did not have water damage. I knew that would not happen to me because, I had already spoken to a sprint rep who said over the phone that there was a ribbon in the Exclaims that breaks and that’s what causes the Black Screen Off Death we know all to well. I also watched a man walk in the door and approach a rep who had not called anyone yet, because he was helping a customer who had not yet left his stand. When the customer left his stand the man who walked in 10 minutes ago proceeded to ask him questions and I had been waiting over an hour ago. The A&& who had just walked in took up over 30 minutes of the reps time and was still talking to the rep when I left my phone. I was assured it would be ready in an hour and half before the store closed. I left the phone and tried calling the phone number I was given to check on my phone. Big surprise that no one answered for me to confirm that my phone was ready for pickup. Does anyone want to guess what I was told when I returned before the store closed? That’s right Bianca was correct my phone suddenly had water damage even though  my battery had no water damage. I had dropped my insurance and they told me there was nothing more they could do for me. I took Bianca’s advice and went straight to Batteries plus. Since, I originally had called to inquire about an upgrade on my phone, but was told I would have to give full price for yet another new phone; besides it was just a ribbon that needed to be replaced in my phone. I purchased a Reclaim at Batteries Plus for $85. The clerk at Batteries Plus offered to purchase my Exclaim after he examined it and stated the ribbon was indeed broken and that the phone had no sign of water damage. Got to love corporations who sell you a piece of s#!% and refuse to do what’s right in the customer service department!!! I guess Sprint will make it up to me while I ride out the finale year of my contract. LMAO

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is my 2nd time posting in this thread. I originally purchased 3 of these Exclaims for 3 family members. I posted on July 21 that I was on phone # 9. Now I am on phone #13. Sprint is sending me out another one. Yesterday I went in to pick up my daughters replacement as her last one died when she truned it off and then back on to see if a reboot would clear her current issue. (The phone is 1 week old) As soon as I gave the "new" phone to her yesterday she tried it and it would not "unlock". Drove the 25 mile trip to the sprint store again. They took the buttons out of the last Exclaim I brought in with a bad circuit board and put them in this "new" one. The employees are always polite, but I keep having issue after issue. I have logged over 600 miles on my vehicle driving in to the store over and over and over.........

[Removed threatening comment]

Message was edited by: dshoem01

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would love to sign the petition. At first this was a good phone, but now i am furious because it is not doing anything correctly. Text messages do not come through but my phone rings over and over like I have an incoming message. My carousel only displays + + + + and none of the programs work, I can't even check my email or facebook.

Why can't we have a different phone, Sprint? This is completely unacceptable!! After all the horror stories listed above, I am afraid to exchange for another junk Exclaim that may be even worse. Immediate action is necessary, but complaints have been coming in on this blog since the phone was released and we are still being screwed.

TO SPRINT:

FIX THIS SITUATION AND RECALL THE EXCLAIM

Highlighted
Journeyman

13 phones is ridiculous!  They told me on the phone something about "numerous" returns and after 5 or so of the same model, they are supposed to offer a comparable phone, at no charge depending on your insurance and especially if it's been less than a year with the phone!  I would ask for the highest person you can, in fact ask for the CEO or president.  That's my next step tomorrow!  I'm only on my 3rd phone, but I refuse to deal with this any longer.  I had 1 phone from verizon that lasted me 10 years!!!!  I was also told by another disgruntled sprint customer that he got out of his contract for free.  He contacted a lawyer (a phone consult is usually free of charge), faxed a copy of his contract to the lawyer and the lawyer said to tell Sprint that you've had your lawyer look over your contract and since they are not holding up their part of the contract regarding customer service and "phone capabilities & functions" then his lawyer said his contract is null and void anyway!  He also said that a company like Sprint will not waste time in court over a contract for a few hundred dollars, either.  Also, I plan on contacting the Better Business Bureau and I think if enough customers do that, the Exclaim will be taken off the shelves.  I don't know how many people need to report it to the BBB, but it's worth a phone call to me!

Good Luck!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat