cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAMSUNG EXCLAIM RECALL

Highlighted
Journeyman

SAMSUNG EXCLAIM RECALL

Please participate and sign this petition if you have had a bad Exclaim experience!
This is not a SPRINT bashing thread.  I have been a customer for a decade an although I doubt SPRINT values my loyalty (thanks for the $4.00 fee because I won't give you direct access to my bank account) I really have no problem with them OTHER than the fact that they are selling phones that are essentially lemons as incentives for upgrades and contract extensions.
I got my first Exclaim in August 2009.  That phone passed quietly into the night in about three weeks time after giving me the often fabled but seldom seen, "Black Screen of Death."  My second Exclaim functioned perfectly for a while but then after several months started dropping texts, losing texts and not receiving texts.  At that time I could not find much online support for my experience, but now it is OBVIOUS that this phone is a problem and needs to be fixed. 
Many of you have posted about having the same issues, constantly deleting memory, being unable to download upgrades, being told that the memory is full when in fact there is plenty available, tech support being unable to help.  Everything that I have read here is exactly what I have experienced.  I also refuse to reformat and risk losing all my contacts and pics, etc...In the world of the I-Phone this *explicative* is simply UNACCEPTABLE.  It's hard to defend continued patronage at this point and I think both SPRINT and SAMSUNG should really be embarrassed for essentially providing us with the TOYOTA of cell phones in this highly competitive and innovated cellular market.
That being said, I would like to confront SPRINT with the number of people who are dissatisfied with their Exclaim experience.  If you have purchased this phone and have had to have it replaced or have simply had a sub par experience with it as an owner (MODERATOR NOTE: REQUESTING PERSONAL INFORMATION IS PROHIBITED ON THE COMMUNITY) 
the number of years you have been a customer, whether or not you paid full price or if the phone was an upgrade, how many years are left on your contract, and a brief description of your Exclaim experience.  Sprint and Samsung need to step up and do the responsible thing by either offering a permanent and suitable fix, providing another phone, or crediting an additional upgrade to our accounts (within our contracted period).  As consumers it is time that we push for a RECALL of the SAMSUNG EXCLAIM.  

Message was edited by: izzyks

130 REPLIES 130
Highlighted
Journeyman

Two of the replacements were dead right out of the box at the Sprint store. After spending hours on the phone talking to rep after rep, thy could only offer me to allow an upgrade for the same price anyone off the street gets ($199 for the EVO) for line #2 they wanted me to pay $384!. Called back a different rep and they said they would activate an early upgrade ($199) for the other line but it would take 24 hrs to complete. 3 days later it hadn't happened and the next rep gave me a $25 goodwill credit because of the delay. This was the first bone they therw me after at least 10 hours in the past week of calling in over and over.

So I go in to pick up 2 new EVO's and there is and "upgrade fee" of $18 for each phone. I had to call in to have that dismissed. I wanted to add the ERP (Equipment Replacement Program) for $4 per month but they would only sell me the TEP (Total Equipment Program) for $7 per month which includes repair of issues which are already covered under the 1 yr warranty. Makes no sense to me but it makes dollars for them. Today, I called Assurion direct and they said they could get me just the ERP. Hope that works out.

So it looks I am done reading this thread unless someone starts a class action suit or something. I would like to recover my mileage for 15+ trips to the sprint store. I think there is some "pain and suffering" involved too.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I too have had a problem with my cell not ringing, my screen going black, etc. I just got off the phone after about 30 minutes. I was transfered 3 times. The last time I was transfered was to a number that was disconnected. I am so disappointed with Sprint and it's unlikely that I will renew my contract with them at the end of the term.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For once in my life, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.  I love my exclaim, the only problem is it has an annoying delay.  Some advice on this phone is watchout how many and what apps you have on your phone.  Like a computer, I have noticed that the more crap I have downloaded, the slower and weirder my phone is.  Also, if something strange happens, usually if you just turn the phone off, wait a minute, then turn it back on, everything is fine.  But you have to wait a minute.  I know this is difficult for some people, but actually wait a whole 60 seconds before you turn it on again.  Also clear your cache and cookies in the internet.  But most of all, do a regular maintenance of all the apps u download.  Hope this helps at least someone.  Remember to treat your phone like a little tiny computer instead of just a phone and turn it off and on every couple of days so the system can refresh.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have had my phone for a year and never had any issues, until last month.  It suddenly began cutting off unexpectedly and on one ocassion I also had a heated battery that I noted while charging the phone.  That issue I think may have been because I had dropped the phone when I put it on the charger and the battery was slighly dislodged.  Once I opened the phone and removed the battery and replaced it never had the overheat issue again.  I did take my phone in to the local sprint store, had great customer service, and was given a replacement phone.  I have had no issues whatsoever with the new phone and have been using it for about 3 weeks now.  I have been with Sprint since 2003 and love Sprint.  I have never had any issues with my service or any complaints with customer service.  This was my first phone that was not a motorola and I was afraid to swap to a new brand, but overall I feel I had great service and I have no complaints.  Guess I'm a lucky customer!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello! My husband and I had purchased the samsung exclaims in November of 2009. Here is a list of problems that we have had with the phones since then.

1.     The phone would turn to a white (which everyone is calling it the black screen) so we would take the battery out and then replace the battery back in  the phone and the phone would come back on.

2.     Then I would get on my phone that there are updates to download and every time  I tried to do the update, the phone wouldn't do the update. I have been trying to do the update since December and was just recently able to download the update last month in July of 2010.

3. The next problem that I had on my phone is that the battery went low and I put on the charger. The phone kept turning off and on, off and on. I was so mad because I had a birthday party planned for my daughter that this phone messed up everything. couldn't nobody get a hold of me to get the right directions to the party. It really pissed me off. my husband went to sprint and they gave him another battery for the phone and it was working for one day. I continue to have this problem. I then turn my phone on while it was on the charger and it started working...what a miracle.........NOT.. JUST LAST NIGHT MY PHONE STARTING DOING THE SAME THING. MY PHONE IS MY ALARM TO GET UP FOR SCHOOL. THIS IS MY LAST  MOD AND I WOKE UP LATE BECAUSE THE PHONE SHUT OFF ONCE AGAIN AND WOULDN'T COME BACK ON.

4. NOW MY HUSBAND WAS CHARGING HIS PHONE AND THE NEXT THING WE NOTICED IS THAT HE NOW HAS THE BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH....WOW TALK ABOUT PROBLEMS WITH THIS PHONE. I AM VERY UPSET BECAUSE WE SIGNED A TWO YEAR CONTRACT WITH THEM AND THEY NEED TO FIX THE PROBLEM SO WE CAN ENJOY OUR PHONE & SERVICE.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS THAT PEOPLE HAVE TO SUFFER FROM A DEFECTIVE PHONE THAT THEY KNOW ABOUT AND THEY ARE BUSY TRYING TO MAKE MONEY OFF OF PEOPLE. THERE IS TOO MANY PEOPLE WITH THIS PROBLEM. THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS. I PRAY THAT THEY COME TO THEIR SINSES AND WILL DO THE RECALL BECAUSE WHO KNOWS WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT TO THESE PHONES.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For my Fabled SAMSUNG EXCLAIM experience where should I begin? Let's see where do I start when I got my 1st phone (SAMSUNG A650)  with in a week of getting it was shut off because apparently I had a $109.99 bill to pay Oo', no idea what that was about, that was almost 6 yrs ago my mom flipped cause she was helping me get it, had my 1st phone for like 4 years decided to get a new one.

I looked for a while and saw the SAMSUNG EXCLAIM was so nice looking and it had just came out and I could afford it, I was so happy! Then the women started to show me it then I got problems, 1st off my phone was giving me an error message that even the store people had no idea what it meant when I was AT THE STORE buying it, said I'm sorry we don't do repair here, HELLO I JUST OPENED IT AND YOU SET IT UP!!! So I had to ask for a ride to get to a repair location after I got tired of 2 months of this message, they couldn't help me, called the info line from my cell, they didn't know, so what did I have to do? trouble shoot & come to find out it wanted to update via the net that was not apart of my account so I have to manually shut off the next access my self with a walk-though I found on line, then after a few months after I got a good job I got the full data plan, then this is what all my troubles started....I can not log into the "IM" feature with all services at once I must enter all my info one at a time then log in, its not a problem not really an issue helps me remember my login stuff, but if I was to log in all at once, my cell freezes up & reboots...so I said I'll do it separately not a problem, then I started to get issues with random reboots in calling people, my cell would reboot its self when I just have it on next to me, then I started to get the black screen of nothingness with some light. then yesterday I was sleeping & I woke up turned my phone on to get to my mail, I get a message saying my phone failed to get data info SO many times with in a 24 hour period so I was suspended for net access, instant message access, & picture mail access for 20 mins. that also is not a problem its just WHY am I having this issues when the PHONE IS OFF?! THENNNN today I try to access picture mail, my inbox has 9 new messes & 18 total, I get this message "An unspecified error has occurred - Press OK or CANCEL"...I called sprint 3 times with in the past 3 hrs...no one has any idea what any of my issues mean of course...they are VERY SORRY...but are willing to ship me another BROKEN "EXCLAIM", there is no guarantee that it will be new it might be a refurbishment USED one...I swear....march is my 6 yrs with sprint, I have had a lot of issues I am only staying because I can't afford to go to a different company & set everything back up all over again costing me 100s of dollars all over again. But I swear if I have issues with this "NEW" phone I am going to a different company & I will never get a contract with any company again. OH on top of this when I talked to representative number 2 tonight after mysteriously my first one hung up or I mean dropped the call after I said how unsatisfied I am with this phone & said I was going to go to a different company, the guy said "you plan was canceled.." Now I paid my bill a head of time, total due on like Sunday is $0.00 so...why was it shut of? Hmm I call the account department they say "hmm I do not see that on your account anywhere...I have no idea what the person was talking about I am very sorry about that, here lets put some ##*few numbers here# & see what this does. Well I just did all that, yes but we must do it ALL over again to check...*rolls eyes* I am sorry but this is getting on my last nerve...& my new phone will either get to me Monday or Tuesday, then I get 15 days to mail this phone to them or I get charged $500! What in gods name! Can't I just take it to the store...Oh no you MUST MAIL it in....Grr...what in gods name?! This time next year I hope to be with a less expensive company paying less then I am now if this keeps happening... I just do not know what to do anymore, I am paying to have a phone with cretin things because I need them for job reasons & cretin access I need on hand at all times, but I get one of the worst phones because I was ripped off because I think the company was too in its own, I think everyone that has a SAMSUNG EXCLAIM should get a 100% refund & a free YEAR of service for each 6 months they have had to deal with this broken technology. My neighbor had a SAMSUNG EXCLAIM & had it replaces numerous times with the same issues they told her to bring it back for replacement & after each time it showed the same issues I even looked at it to see what it was doing since mine wasn't THAT bad yet, after like four replacements they said we won't replace it anymore...Are you serious?! & I had told myself if I have to replace it more then twice, I am taking my money to some other company. I would tell anyone else the same thing. So if you have this phone, are told to replace over & over free of change but then get the run around say you want a different phone if refused, like I was via an e-mail I got a MONTH ago, take your number & go some where else...Sorry for the rant, but I am wasting money on this junk!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I feel yall Pain! I Dont have a Samsung Exclaim but a Samsung Moment.... For those that are thinking of upgrading to the Moment DONT! I am on my third replace since May 2010 and gee same problem as day one! I lose Data connection then after about 15-20 min the phone locks into Airplane mode! I keep being told by tech that "nothing is wrong" well it is clear that something is wrong when I have to reboot the phone sometimes 3-4 times a day. The worst part is when it goes into airplane mode with out me knowing and it is in my case.. I find out hours later when I have missed important phone calls and someone says "ya your phone went streight to voice mail"

I also beleive Samsung and Sprint need to get th e problems fixed with all their phones or Recall the phone and give credit towards a diffrent phone! They are still selling these phones when they KNOW of these issues and know that the customer will not be happy!

Sprint question for you.... Do you REALLY care a bout your customers or isit all about the MONEY?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Agreed...my brother in law had the Samsung Instinct and went through at least three or four of them before he was able to get a different phone.  My husband was looking at Samsung TV's the other day and I told him I won't be buying anything else with the Samsung name on it!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Get this..

Sprint called me tonight & I had a 41 min conversation with them telling them that as soon as my plan is up I'm going to a different company because they are refusing to DO ANYTHING with this on going issues...the Tech / manager I will call "Pat" tells me "We value as a costumer & since you have been with us for OH SO long, if this NEW REPLACEMENT goes bad we will NOT charge you anything since you have the FULL replacement policy.." So let me get this straight, if I didn't have this on my plan I would get charged to get a new phone?! Least that is what it seems like "Pat" was telling me then he told me "you can upgrade...for this or this amount since if you look online you will see the phone is free with a 2 yr contract..." I reply "Well then PAT the phone is not free because I am renewing a contract binding me to your company that I am currently an TICKED off at right now who won't fulfill your end of the bargain of the contract we signed...then he said the only way to GET a different phone was to UPGRADE...I mean REALLY?! So you are more or less are telling me that ALL of these people here who have got this phone are S.O.L for a faulty device you sold us?! Everyone I am TELLING you do not upgrade anything, ride your contracts out they won't budge to get you a new phone just replacements so I would say, go to a different company, warn family & friends to STAY AWAY from the EXCLAIM if they are going to get it, If you have some problems just starting take a notepad & keep track of the issues & when they started, when you got the phone & make copies of it, mail it to them, e-mail it in, take it to a store! Make it known because apparently this issue won't go away any time soon, I am DISAPPOINTED right now with SPRINT & this issue, if having millions of people leaving their service who own this phone is the only way to make a point, I would say go for it, me I am tried of being jerked around. As other people have stated here they REALLY don't care about us, just the money they get from us because if they really appreciated us & wanted us to stay with them as soon as we call about an issue & they KNOW up front by their computers they patter away at when we talk to them on a call they would get a big

"!WARNING: This phone is known to have the following issues see below for possible hardware issues...."

but what are they doing instead? Here take another copy of the phone you already have & give it a shot even though we know it's going to have the same issues, & we get a 30 day time for a full return when it can take months for these problems to manifest themselves! I am sorry that everyone that has posted here has had to go though with this & all the running around & fake caring talk from the people on the other side of the phone who really can't DO anything about the problems we are having it is their fault but it's also not their fault. Is is SPRINT'S fault because they are hearing all this bad feedback about all the faults this phone has but they are still selling it & promising things they know by law they can not DO, but on the other hand it is NOT their fault because SPRINT did not build these phones them self, it was SAMSUNG who built faulty phone & promised sprint that these phones were "A.O.K" when we all know its not. But there is a CEO person somewhere that prolly hasn't seen these posts nor has heard all the crap that comes alone with these phones so I don't think they realize all the REAL money in the long run they will be losing when people start to jump ship (like I will be VERY SOON no matter how much they try to bribe me like they did tonight) & they ask a lower person "Hey Smith? Why are the sales on the EXCLAIM so low & why is there a HARD Loss on this sales chart for them?" "Um Sir, that is because they have a manufacturers issues that we can't solve & we keep selling them & get the same issues even when we send them to our tech people for repairs."...If I was the CEO, for good face & apperception, I would recall ALLLLLL THE exclaims & refund 100% of the costs for them by giving the owners the options of getting a totaly diffrent MAKE AND MODEL of the same cost as this one, OR if they wanted a lesser value one I would credit their account for it, then get SAMSUNG on the phone & raise a ruckus on this problem! BUT..I don't think will happen anytime soon. If they refuse to help Us, like I said we need to ride out our contracts & leave...

I give the SAMSUNG EXCLAIM the Biggest faulre worse then the WINDOWS ME OS....

Highlighted
Journeyman

I realize that you all want to petition to recall the Spring Exclaim, but I just want to say that I LOVE MY EXCLAIM!!!! I've had my same phone since Feb 2010 and I haven't had any major problems with it. I will say that I dislike how easily the back comes off and how the temperature gets hot sometimes if I'm charging while talking. But that's about it. The battery life is great, the sound is great, the pictures come out nice, and the internet runs smoothly and quickly. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe I don't do everything with it that others do i.e use the google map app. I do listen to Sprint Radio and my son watches cartoons on it. I check my email, Facebook, and Myspace on it and everything does fine. I'm sorry you all are having such a horrible experince. I guess I would want a recall too if I were having all these problems.

Just wanted to add a positive comment

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow...sounds a lot like my Exclaim from HELL! All they keep telling me is that they can replace it with the same phone and I am tired of this freaking white screen, they say I'm eligible for an upgrade in early November but how come I can't replace my phone to something else. I been on and off the phone this is some Epic bull and I am not having it

Highlighted
Journeyman

I bought my Samsung Exclaim in August of 2009. I was so excited to have a phone that was great for texting and social media. That thrill quickly went away. My first complaint began when the calendar feature was full after a month but by that time I could change phones. I was annoyed to say the least. Then the turning off and on at random began. Followed by the phone over heating. The wall charger not actually charging (I'm on my 3rd charger now). The freezing was next and now the white screen of death. I have had it repaired and was told it was software issues. The last repair seemed to have worked for a few months but shortly after my phone's warranty ran out my phone began failing at an alarming rate. I've been to Sprint and I wasn't impressed with the lack of service I received.

I love Sprint, I have an great plan and I was willing to upgrade but $200 plus for the crappiest of phones, seriously???

Sprint needs to do something better for the customers with these phones, and they need to stop selling Samsung if they make faulty product.

I will be taking it in for repair and I will be submitting a complaint to Sprint. This is ridiculous.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat