ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPH-L300 Galaxy Victory Call volume maxxed and wont turn down!!

Journeyman

SPH-L300 Galaxy Victory Call volume maxxed and wont turn down!!

My wife is about to throw her phone in the trash!!

Her phone in call volume is maxxed out. It will not turn down, nor will it turn up. It shows the volume graphic going up and down, but no change. she had a replacement phone come in at the Sprint store, but the new phone does the same thing. The Sprint store staff used their display model and it also did this. They basically said my wife was pretty much SOL. There has been no firmware updates, the phone just started doing this on Thursday 03/07/13. Ive tried just about everything and it will not respond. I turned on the 'noise reduction' setting to help not blast her ear off, but it still does not turn down.

Help!

-Ripp

32 REPLIES 32
Journeyman

Re: SPH-L300 Galaxy Victory Call volume maxxed and wont turn down!!

I have this same issue. The volume can't be adjusted. It just stays at max even though you can see it should be set as low as possible. I was talking with samung tech support. Did the noise reduction, soft reset, and adjusted the system volume. This didn't solve it so I ended up doing a factory reset. This still didn't solve the issue. Very annoying...

Journeyman

I've been having the exact same problem for over a month now.  The phone (as a phone) is darn near worthless now.  The odd thing is that it only seems to be SUPER loud when receiving calls, not when I make them.  Sprint customer service has been no help at all on this one.  Looks like I ended up with a POS for a phone from them.  Thanks Sprint! 

Journeyman

Same problem verbatim. I've had the phone 6 weeks and it was okay. Pretty much unusable now. Sprint -Any fix for this?

Journeyman

I may have observed this with my own Galaxy Victory, and I think I found a way of dealing with it.

1) Start the Phone app.

2) Hit the menu button on the lower left side.

3) Select "Call Settings" from the menu.

4) Scroll to "Additional Settings" and select it.

5) Uncheck "Noise Reduction".

Journeyman

I've had the same problem for about two weeks. Sometimes restarting helped but not now. I did find that the Bluetooth worked normally, and after using it the phone works for a while. We must have gotten a bad update from Samsung or something. I'll try the noise cacelling thing but sounds like the results are mixed.

Journeyman

Here's what I found on the Samsung site:

"Please try to do a soft reset on the phone by powering it off and removing the battery then placing it back again to reboot the handset." 

I tried this and it is working so far, only half a day at this point, but it's better than anything else I have tried.

Journeyman

Thanks for the tip. Did this and it seemed to help a little by reducing the distortion of the max volume, but the volume was still 'stuck'. Thanks again for the reply.

Journeyman

Thanks for the tip on the 'soft reset'. I actually tried that when initially troubleshooting but unfortunately was not as successful. I will try it again. Somewhere along the line the volume reset itself. It is still 'stuck' at a fixed level, but it is not he maximum volume of the phone. This makes it much easier to work with. This problem started when I was using the 'speakerphone' option more frequently. I don't have a decent wired or bluetooth headset yet. Thanks again!

Journeyman

My Galaxy Victory had the exact same weird maxed out volume issues.  I fought with it - and searched for a "fix" for about a month. Then, one day it just went back to "normal". Odd... but okay.  Then about 2 weeks ago - boom!  I received a phone call, and when I answered it about blew my ears off.  Really?! What the heck is up with that!  After speaking with Sprint customer "support" - I was told to take the phone into a repair store.  Did so - and they could not fix it.  A refurbished replacement phone of the same make / model was ordered.  I picked it up today... got everything transferred over... make a "test" call in the store there with the rep - and it seemed fine. The very FIRST call I received in - wouldn't you know it - the volume was maxed out.  I am so, so very frustrated at this point.  Sprint will not make this right (so far).  When you buy a phone, the company (Sprint and/or Samsung) should 100% stand behind it and make it right when things go south for the customer.  They really do not seem to care that much that it just does't work.

Journeyman

Had mine for 12 months before the ear piece became super loud with no way to turn the volume down. Happens both on incoming and outgoing calls. Tried a reboot. Tried the "soft reset" of shutting down, removing the battery, and turning back on. None had any affect.

Only thing that helped was pj46227's idea to turn off Noise Reduction (in phone call number keypad screen click the Menu button - Call Settings - Additional Settings - uncheck Noise Reduction). It is only a partial fix but makes phone calls tolerable. Before the change ringing sounds and voices in the ear piece were so loud they were distorted and phone had to be held a few inches from ear. After turning off Noise Reduction sounds are normal and just kinda loud.

4G LTE was just turned on in the the Salt Lake City area the last couple days when the problem started. Possibly related?

Journeyman

Unbelievably, I went through three of these Galaxy Victory phones.  My local Sprint store took a look at my original Victory, and said it couldn't be fixed - ordered a replacement.  The very FIRST inbound call - the ear piece volume was maxed out.  I just could not believe it!  They said they were going to order me another one, but ended up sending in a LG Viper (older phone, older OS, half the memory).  No thanks!  I was then sent to a different Sprint store and they replaced my replacement Victory with another.  First test call in the store... it sounded like I had the store associate on speaker phone, but it was the ear piece.  Wow... really?!  Again!  Something is really bad wrong with this phone model.  I think Samsung pushed out a firmware update or something that jacked all of these Victory phones up.  Nothing else makes any sense... because it worked fine for several months after I first got the phone. I felt I had little choice other than to pay the early upgrade fee and get a better phone.  Ended up with the HTC One and so far - love it.

This was my first phone and service with Sprint.  Not the best experience with equipment thus far. 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat