Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S3

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S3

I think that the HTC Evo LTE and the SGS3 are basically a wash when it comes to specs/functionality. For me, the key differentiator is the ability to remove/replace the battery on the SGS3. Given the way I use my mobile, the battery tends to lose about 50% of its charge capacity within a year. I'm on my third Seido 3500mah battery with my Evo OG. I would get very angry with the EVO LTE within a year as the length of use time between charges becomes less and less as the charge capacity erodes. I am unwilling to pay $100 and have to to the replacement insurance claim just to have a battery that works as it should.

The Evo LTE does have the integrated kickstand, which I would miss, but most case manufacturers for the Samsung make cases with kickstands. So that became a non-issue for me. I guess if you really love the Sense UI, that would be a reason to stick with the Evo.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Okay thanks everyone.

BUT, feature wise . . . does the EVO even compare to the SG3?

I'm not a tech junkie or anything so I don't really look into the technical details often *besides battery life, battery size, etc... I don't even know much about the difference between SENSE UI and Touch Wiz.

My major uses would be Twitter, Facebook, taking photo's and talking/texting/email.

I've tried to gain information via some YouTube comparison's, but I'm not getting much out of them.

Thank again. (:

Highlighted
Journeyman

@darb6813

In the software department, I feel that the S3 has more software based apps then the EVO.

The only real difference between sense and Touch Wiz is that it's HTC and Samsung own interface they made around the android one (opposed to the stock one)

Smart Stay: Pretty much the screen will stay on as long as you looking at it. (I'd see a nice feature if you're doing something on the phone for a good period of time)

Direct Call: Say you was texting someone and wished the call them...don't even have to press call...just put the phone to your ear and it'll call the person you was texting. (I wouldn't say this is needed but it is a nice futurisitc feature)

Smart Alert: (Quoted from the site) "It knows when you've been away from your phone: a vibrating nudge lets you know that you have missed calls or messages."

S Voice: Is pretty much the Samsung version of Apple's Siri. A virtual assistant.

In a tech point of view I "think" the S3 is better.

I feel overall for what you're getting for the phone (hardware/software features and all) the Galaxy S3 has more appeal to it then the EVO. Not doubting the EVO or anything just seems the S3 You'll get more for your money.

All in all it's just a matter of personal preference. Do you like HTC phones more or do you like Samsung Phones more?

I myself will be getting the S3 my reasons are my examples above. Not to mention coming out will have the two memory sizes.
I question what the average person would need 32GB on a phone(especially since you can upgrade your micro SD up to w/e the max it) for unless you're a business person but it's nice they're giving you the option of the two.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Patron

not to mention also that the HTC battery cannot be removed!!!!

its just like the iphones....

so from prev htc evo 4g experience.... battery was an issues due to not charging up after a few months ... that will be a big NO NO!...

i guess im waiting for the SG3 instead....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Even though thats the international version (a few things like the processor will be changed for US) On paper overall the S3 appears to better from Kev-Man's link but that's just one side of the story.

Really when it comes down to it....it just depends on what the actual benchmark says for it.

Although the international version is something to compare it to....doesn't mean the US version will be on par with it.....of course many have said that specific dual core that suppose to be in US actuall out performs the international quad core..

Either way as long as the phone doesn't have alot of bugs or any software issues then I'm perfectly fine...

I currently have the Samsung Intercept and I already know that I'll be pleased with the S3

And I notice they add Google Wallet to S3 wonder if they'll do a $50 Google Wallet incentive like they did with the Nexus.
With or without Im still getting the phone but would be nice if they did

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, that helps a lot.

I actually had the Samsung Moment before all these cool updated Androids blew it out of the water, so I definitely am a fan of Samsung. I've also had the HTC Hero, which I didn't like too much. . . at all.

I guess I've allowed myself to get a little too hype about the EVO, but it actually sounds like the S3 might be my better choice.

Thank you. (:

Journeyman

I currently have an HTC EVO and I can't wait to get the SG3. Ever since they made Gingerbread available, my EVO has been sluggish, and occasionally will just restart on it's own. And I really hate not having enough RAM to install programs and games that I'd like to have. So I am really looking forward to the 2 gig RAM and 32 gig internal storage one. I already have a 32 gig SD card, so 64 gig will be more than enough storage space. Also, the SG3 will take a 64 gig SD card, whereas the HTC EVO 4G will only expand to a 32 gig SD. Again, I like having the option to expand and swap batteries if necessary. These are a few of the things which I hate that you can't do with the iPhone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Seeing that games are in the MB and that people can just get a bigger SD card. I really can't help but wonder why people would need 32GB of internal memory
Of course I'm sure there's people out there who actually use all of it lol

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just pre-ordered my Galaxy S3.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would love to preorder mine, but do you know if Best Buy will carry it? I always rush into things and end up missing out on a great deal. Haha.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I probably won't be able to pre-order it but am glad that i'll be able to finally upgrade soonish...

I'm surprised they didn't add an incentive with it like they did with the Nexus with the $50 Google Wallet credit...

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat