Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S8 Status Bar unknown notification

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy S8 Status Bar unknown notification

I have a picture of the notification attached to this post. Just curious as to what it is.

Also, my phone is consistently roaming where I am located and therefore I never know what form of data I am receiving (1x, 3g, 4g, lte). Is there any widget or status bar notification I can add to display what my current data stream is?20180321_085651.jpg

10 REPLIES 10
Sprint Social Care

Re: Samsung Galaxy S8 Status Bar unknown notification

Hey @catchafire7, Can you please let us know:

When you swipe down to see all notification, it doesn't have any information about that specific icon?

Regarding the issue with the roaming connection and non data, Can you please sent us the nearest cross street, ZIP code and city where the issues occur?

Jey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

No unfortunately when I slide the status bar down there is no information displayed related to that icon...

The issue is not one of connectivity in itself. Rather I was simply wondering if there is a way to see what form of data I am receiving (1x, 3g, lte) while my phone is showing the "roaming" symbol over the "signal strength" symbol.

Thanks for the reply!

Sprint Social Care

Understood, Can you let me know what device do you have?

Jey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

It's a Samsung Galaxy S8 64 gb with Android 8.0.0 freshly installed

Sprint Social Care

You can know what type of data you are receiving with the status bar icon. It usually shown this way:

• Roaming = R
  • 1x = E, G, 1x
  • 3G = H, H↑↓, 3G
  • 4G = 4G, 4G LTE
  • Wi-Fi = ▼↑↓

Keep in mind that when you have the Wi-Fi on and connected to an strong Wi-Fi signal, the data gets automatically disable.

Jey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Yeah thanks. So I was wondering if, while the phone is displaying the roaming icon, there is a way to also see the data icon.

Also, any luck on that strange triangle status bar notification? 

Sprint Social Care

Question = I was wondering if, while the phone is displaying the roaming icon, there is a way to also see the data icon.

Answer = When the phone is display the roaming icon (like the photo you send us) or any data icon, the others data icons wont display along side with it. You can see one icon at the time depending on the intensity of the signal, That can be R, 4G, etc.

About that strange icon, Did you downloaded and installed any application or did you change any setting of the device before that icon appear?

Jey
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

Ah thanks.

As I recall, it started to show up when I installed Oreo. But that's all I can really think of

Sprint Social Care

According with the information I found that is the new icon for Data Saver. When this option is ON your device will display that icon and when is OFF the icon will disappear.

Know you may ask, What is the data saver? From Android 7.0, users can enable Data Saver on a device-wide basis in order to optimize their device's data usage, and use less data.

Any other question you may have please feel free to forward your concerns to us so we can assist.

Jey
Sprint Social Care
Wizard

Yeah like what's been pointed out you might check that data save and also you might check your Network Settings to make sure they are set to Automatic as well. Smiley Happy 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat