Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung M520 Firmware Fixes/Suggestions

Journeyman

Samsung M520 Firmware Fixes/Suggestions

I've gone through this phone over the past couple days that I've had it and compiled a small list of things that can be easily fixed via firmware upgrade:

The sprint rep at the store recommended me posting to the forums so that updates can be made. However, I may just return it until future phones/updates come out...

Software:

********</p><p> Contact list/Send Text to List :</p><p></p><p>Using the "Find Name" function (typing the first letter of someone's name) will cause a 3 second delay before going to that letter of the contact list. HOWEVER, when going through the "Favorites" menu and adding a contact (setting a contact as a favorite), the "Name" text box will provide immediate feedback as soon as a letter is pressed (as it should be) . Obviously, normal use is through the "Contacts" and "Send Text to" Menu where the delay is VERY noticeable.<br>********

Text Entry:

When composing a text message using the "Alpha" setting (Non-T9), pressing "Space" causes the cursor to move to the end of the word instead of inserting a space as would be expected. This causes wordsthatdonothavespaces.
Also, the UP/DOWN directions do not work when moving the cursor you have to move left and right throughout the entire message.

Font uniformity:

When going through the Menus of the phone, the higher level main menus have a larger font size when selected . However, a different font is used for the "My Content" menu (a much nicer font in my opinion). This is the only menu that utilizes this font. HOWEVER, once again, when going through the "Add Favorite" menu, ALL first-level menus use this font. It seems as though the "Add Favorite" menu received all the updates and did not get copied over to the actual menu interface before release.

Music App:

When wanting to go to the music player, the phone MUST have PowerVision enabled even if you are just going to play music loaded onto the microSD card. I have PowerVision locked to prevent data charges. Can there be a store/player differential? I've also found a "Media Player" application through the Bluetooth menus, but Bluetooth must be enabled to access this player.

Backlighting:

When the slider is down, the backlights will not illuminate when buttons are pressed. This is fine when the keypad is locked, however, once unlocked, it would be nice to see what you're pressing without having to open the phone. (This is a minor issue as there are not that many buttons on the upper half of the phone anyways)

Hardware:
Battery:

Once fully charged, the phone will indicate that it is fully charged, however about 20-30 minutes later, it will begin charging again after no use (still plugged in).

User Interface Opinions:

Can there be a font size option? The font used is HUGE and as a result, looks very grainy. The phone has a low-resolution display; however, animations and Main Menu fonts (Samsung theme) at the top of the screen prove that text/fonts/images CAN look nice even on a non QVGA screen. (Future phones: include at least a QVGA please). Font smoothing would be WONDERFUL.

When going through the Contacts/Send Text To menus, there is very little distinction between the list of contacts and the soft key options below (the last line). There is slight contrast on this last line, but given the display of the phone, it has to be held at a certain angle to distinguish this minor contrast.

Alarms: The alarm on the phone turns off the alarm/snoozes the alarm ONLY when appropriate buttons are pressed. Any other button will only silence the alarm. Can all those other buttons Snooze the alarm rather than just silence them? Having the one "Exit" button is good enough. When sleeping, any button press is nicer to "snooze" than having to look at the phone for the specific button.

Icons: The white border around the icons looks a little tacky (obviously my opinion... but still)

Features:

Ringtones:

A HUGE bonus would be allowing the use of song files loaded to your microSD card to be used as a ringtone. Many ohter phones allow this.

Themes:
Create-your-own theme software?

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Samsung M520 Firmware Fixes/Suggestions

Problem:

When charging, the screen stays fully lit. I have to leave my phone upside down or the whole room is lit...

Solution:

It should work just as if it were not charging where the screen timers are the same.

Message Edited by ijames on 05-21-2008 03:13 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Problem:

When charging, the phone randomly makes the "plugged in" beep. This is really annoying when the phone is next to your bed and/or you're plugging it in while somebody is sleeping next to you.

Solution:

The charging beep should not happen randomly and it should be a user selectable option whether it happens at all considering that there is already a visual indicator of charging on the screen.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Problem:

Bluetooth file sharing FTP switch requires user to switch between memory card and internal memory

Solution:

When browsing from computer it should show card AND internal memory so that all uploads can be done from computer without having to manually switch FTP folder on the phone.

Message Edited by ijames on 05-21-2008 03:14 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Problem:

On Demand Weather takes four clicks just to see the highs and lows. It's worse when there are alerts. There are ALWAYS alerts. Always have to update because I don't believe that the information is current.

Solutions:

Revise so that the VERY FIRST THING YOU SEE is a list of all highs and lows for the day for each area selected. (Get a Usability Expert to make this application useful).

Indicate alerts by a small flag, not the entire display.

Update the weather immediately when the program is accessed but don't lose previous update if the network cannot be reached.

Display the last updated date and time.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Problem:

Inconsistent user interface with the scrolling in applications.

Solution:

If the volume clicker isn't designated as a specific function within an application text field, make it do the same as the up and down toggle button so that it can always be used for scrolling.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Awesome list, soj87. Well described & I second all the suggestions. My biggest complaint, although there are quite a few, is the text font/size. I think it's awful & would be thrilled with a fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, I was told by the guy in the Spritn sotre that I could make ringtones out of my own mp3's with this phone. That's one of the reasons I anted the *bleep* thing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This issue seems to exist in all Samsung phones (1've had 3).

If you are calling out and someone calls you at the same time, you cannot anwser the call. You have the options for answer or ignore but only the ignore button works.

That is my biggest petpev about samsung and if they cannot fix it I will go to another company or provider.

Also the battery issue and the constent backlight when charging should be fixed too.

Message Edited by dudepron on 06-05-2008 02:28 PM

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat