Samsung Mega

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Mega

Why is Sprint always lagging behind AT&T

44 REPLIES 44
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have called Customer Service a few times for things on the Note.  They had not a clue.  Than when I received a phone call threatening me they said they could not help.  Said I should call the Police. They know what number

called me but no help at all.

Simple question of when a phone will be released - Not a clue.

Highlighted
Wizard

BRAUN69,

I was referring to phone releases in general, Sony models, etc...; not just the Mega. There certainly is an overemphasis on the Galaxy Mega release. If that's the phone you really want then I understand but this a 2 page discussion on the release of a non high-end Samsung device. How about the Galaxy Note 3? Any credit for that? We're releasing it on par with ATT, 10 days before Verizon and as for US Cellular...I haven't seen an announcement for it with them.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Wizard

lhobbies87,

Thanks for explaining. I guess it's a matter of perspective but I don't see this as poor customer service by the agents. If it was information that they had been trained on and couldn't help you then I would understand but you requested information that wasn't released to them so they didn't have the information to give. In regards to threatening phone calls, all we can do on our end is block the number and we're directed to suggest contacting the police if a customer reports being threatened. I can help with setting up a block if it hasn't been taken care of yet.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Your right again Carlos, and guess what?  You get Zero credit for the Note 3 launch because you priced it ABOVE everyone else, youmight get credit if you released it for the same as everyone else but you decided in your infinite wisdom to try and rip the customer off $50.  Gee thanks!  Btw, nice job telling everyone  the Galaxy mega is a mid range device that people shouldn't care about because of your high dollar note 3 coming out.

Highlighted
Wizard

LOVERACING1988,

Not even half credit? Even at a $50 higher promotional price you still financially come out on top with Sprint.

2 ways:

1. The retail price is $30-$50 lower with us so you'll pay less monthly if you upgrade via the One Up program. I'm sure they're customers are having the same debate as to why they retail the phone at $710 vs Sprint.

2. Our competitors' price plans cost more than ours. Even if you save $50 upfront they are recouping that and hundreds of dollars extra over the coming months.

The Galaxy Mega isn't mid-range but it also isn't high end. Customer's don't like automated customer service responses so I'm calling it how it is. The Mega has Galaxy S4 specs and the Note 3 is technologically superior with a similar screen size. I'm not recommending against the Mega because it has its market, I was just illustrating a point.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Galaxy Mega is actually a mid-range smartphone and is not even close to as powerful as the Galaxy S4. Galaxy Mega is running a 1.7 dual core snapdragon 400 processor while the S4 is running a 1.9 quad core snapdragon 600 processor... I heard the Galaxy Mega is coming out with tri-band which is probably why it is being delayed. But that is not the point, the point is that Sprint has announced the phone a month ago and still have no release date compared to all the other phones that has recently been announced on Sprint with a release date. I can't blame you for not knowing the release date so it's not your fault since it is out of your control.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The S4 and Note 3 may be high end but it doesn't matter how fast a phone's processor is , if your internet connection can't keep up. The S4 and Note 3 only have single band LTE 1900mhz which is good but if you cant get a LTE signal at work or home because of lousy building penetration than it doesn't matter. The Mega will have Triband capabilities and the 800mhz LTE signal gets great building penetration. The triband capabiities trump processor speed and every other spec the S4 n Note 3 have over the Mega as it future proofs the phone for sprint's upcoming LTE frequencies. I was looking forward to the Note 3 but as it lacks triband LTE that outta the question and Sprint priced it 50$ more which was a stupid move because their phone is inferior to AT&T n Verizon.

Every one looks for different things in a smartphone and the Mega suits me, I shouldn't have too explain why I want this phone to Sprint over the Note 3. I could understand if we were asking the release of the nexus 5 and Sprint didn't know but this phone was released internationally 6 months ago. I ve also seen Sprints variant of the Mega being sold on ebay so its release can't be that far off, but for Sprint not to give expected releases of phones they announced is horrible corporate policy and I feel sorry for employees like Carlos to not even be able to give us any bit of info like late October or early November . I guess Sprint feels it's expected release dates are too valuable and can't let employees or customers know this information . I just hope they change this policy in the future and not just give bland information like late 2013 for future phones

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ohhhhhh, why didn't you say so?...  It is a promotional price to pay more for the phone than the other carriers?  Gee thanks.

I just did a quick comparison between the plans, which isn't truely apples to apples because of sprints unlimited data, but it is comparable because you can use the 4Gb of data verizon gives you for whatever, including tethering.  I cam up with a savings of $669 over 2 years sprint saves me, incuding paying the extra $50 for the phone.  That is a good chunk of change just going by the numbers but you have to decide how much is it worth it to you to have a phone you can rely on.  My wife and I switched to sprint a little over a month ago, we did so to save money, which we are doing but not near as much as we had hoped.  However it has come at a steep cost.  If Verizon still offered unlimited data sprint would be out of business completely, I would be willing to bet my house on that.  I live in a suburb northwest of Detroit, we have spotty 4G here, but even then sometimes that really doesn't matter, as a example I have ran numerous speedtests and at some points I have gotten 4Gish speeds, not Verizon or AT&T fast, but still 4G, but I would say about half the time my phone will say I have 4G but the speedtest says I still have 3G speeds.  I know 4G isn't officially rolled out here yet, so I will refrain from knocking it to hard until you "launch" it, but based on the reviews in the cities that have launched it I'm thinking how it is now is pretty much going to be normal.  The 4G situation isn't the part that bothers me however, it is the fact that on your 3G network, just loading a webpage takes minutes sometimes, my speedtests on that seem to stay right around .3Mb/s, I have gotten as low as 81Kb/s also, that one was so comical I just had to laugh.  Honestly I am arguing every point everyone makes just to prove a point, you have zero justification for charging that much for the phone, and you just confirmed it for me, because in the long run you will still save me money, but you cannot honestly say that sprints network is on the same level as Verizon or AT&T, so you cannot expect people to pay that much in the first place.  It may not seem like it but I really do want sprint to succeed, because I hate how money hungry that Verizon and AT&T have become, so to see Sprint start to do the same types of things is disappointing because that is the one thing you had going for you.  I hated being on Verizon because of this, I hated the atmosphere in their stores compared to the sprint stores, I hated everything about them except the network, but they know they are the best network wise so they can charge whatever they want, this has been proven by their CEO's comments last week.  Your comment about the off contract prices makes me laugh too, Verizon is charging $699.99 off contract, AT&T is $724.99, and T-Mobile is charging $703.99.  If you want to charge more for the phone on contract, I could understand if you charged $749.99, because then it would almost make sense, but Sprint seems to be catering to your One Up customers and forgetting about your customers who don't need a phone every year.  I really want Sprint to succeed I would love for them to give Verizon and AT&T a run for their money and challenge them to make them be more about the customer and less about the bottom line, but to me Sprint is on a slippery slope at this point, right now it is $49 more for a phone, this is after you changed your family plans around to make corporate discounts not as useful, what is next?  Upping your monthly rates?  New fees for mailed bills?  At that point the sky is the limit.  I'm sure not a whole lot of people are going to take the time to read this, but there are a lot of things I am starting to not like about the cell phone industry in general and if I don't try to stand up now and fight for this, I will regret it when we are all paying full price for our phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The Mega CMDA passed FCC on 9/13 which was 3 days after the Iphone 5s/5c (which has been released) and Note 3 (released on 10/4) so "my guess" would be by the end of October or early November. There is also a few on eBay if your willing to pay more now vs less later. (Item # 151131409008)

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/new.php?m=c

Highlighted
Journeyman

Still doesn't answer why Sprint is so hush hush

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why are they on EBay from Sprint

Highlighted
Journeyman

Personally this is the same old story just a different device with Sprint. I have been with them over 12 years and can find info online before they ever give anything about a device that is potently coming out. Who knows with eBay but it's always a sign that it's coming sooner than later. I got a pre-released phone on eBay about 2 weeks before sprint's official release date but certainly paid extra for it. You can message the seller to see if they have any info for you and this is at least their 2nd one in the past 2 weeks I have seen. Either way you are better off doing your own research than asking sprint for the same ole just wait until late 2013.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat