cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Restore- will not turn off

Highlighted
Journeyman

We just upgraded my husband to a Samsung Restore. It has a few quirks, but most we can deal with. The only problem is we can not get it to shut off. I have an the Rant, a precursor to the Restore, so I am aware that holding down the red hangup button for a few seconds is supposed to turn it off. After holding that button down, this phone keeps a small bit of the Sprint symbol on the screen as it appears to power down, then proceeds to turn back on. Any ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Restore- will not turn off

@Ducksoup42 You are doing it correctly. The manual says you have to press on it for 2 seconds. If it turns on again, it may mean that the power button is stuck. Have it checked out at a Sprint store with repair. Hope everything works out. Good luck.

Journeyman

I have had the same problem-- among others-- with my Samsung Restore.

Just yesterday I had to bring it in because the phone froze in the middle of turning on. Even when I took out the battery and tried to turn it on again, it would always get stuck in the process. Pretty much useless.

Anyway, during the time that my Restore was functioning a bit more normally, it would often do what you are talking about. You need to power cycle the phone. This just means that you take out the battery, leave it out for at least 10sec I think it is (but I would do like 2min just to make sure) and then replace it and turn it on. This always worked for me. Otherwise you may have to take it into the store. In a couple days it may malfunction and not turn off again, but then you just need to power cycle it again. Just a side note though, I've had a lot of trouble with this phone, and I've only had it since late June.

Journeyman

Thanks for everyone's ideas. We tried power cycling over and over, but it still refused to shut down. At one point the battery had begun to die and it kept repeatedly trying to die and only to be restarted by the glitch until my husband plugged it in. It was kind of funny at the time. and since we were still within the 30 day guarantee brought it back to the store. Of course it shut off on the second try for the salesperson, but he still exchanged it for us to make us happy. He said that it could be getting hung up on its shutdown program and since it never finished the program, would immediately start back up. I'm not sure if this is going to turn out to be a common problem on this phone or if we just ended up with a bad one

Journeyman

mine does the same thing - sometimes.  if you take the battery out and put it back in, you can usually then shut it.  i can't predict when it's going to happen, and i've never taken it in to swap it out...

Journeyman

Hi there, unfortunately I have the same phone and the same issue. I went back to Sprint and explained this. The response I received was to take the battery out and then replace it. So, about once or twice a week this is what I do to get the phone turned off.

I also have a new issue with this phone.  It is chopping all of my pictures up. Its very aggrivating!

Wizard

LSENSABAUGH,

That definitely should not be happening, you might need to have a hard reset performed on the phone, we would be glad to assist you with that issue, you can either visit one of our Sprint repair locations or call in to technical support at 888-211-4727

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat