cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint SPH-L170 Broken Screen

Journeyman

Sprint SPH-L170 Broken Screen

So, I'm on my 2nd SPH-L170 phone from Samsung, otherwise known as the Galaxy 3.  The first time to no avail, I went to Asurion for replacement.. Paid my $100 and got another one.

The screen on the first phone cracked within the first 7 days.  Didn't drop it.  Just cracked.  I suggested manufacturers defect etc, but you never know.. maybe I didn't handle it delicately enough?  Maybe I should have carried the phone around wrapped in Bubble Wrap?  Not sure.. But I can tell you my wife's Iphone 4s has been through drop after drop after drop and hey... it works perfectly..

And of course I have a Case surrounding my Galaxy 3 that was recommended by the Sprint Store representative to essentially keep the phone from having a cracked Screen..  But, of course it broke.

Now, yet again, my Assurion Replacement phone cracked in front of my VERY eyes this morning.  I pushed the HOME button at the bottom of the screen and guess what happened.. It cracked.  Take a look at it.. It's awesome... Maybe I'm not supposed to push the ONE button on the Front Screen?  Is it there for decoration?  Maybe I should have had the phone in the Google Voice mode where you talk to it and never touch the front of the screen?  Don't know.. but I do know one this so far.. Spoke to 3 Sprint representatives and they told me to go fly a Kite.. They are not standing behind the Products they are distributing.. Then I said to each Sprint Rep including a Team Leader and a Supervisor in location B56 by the name of Jason, that I googled my device model and found numerous complaints around the same issue.  Guess what Sprint.. there are a lot of people out there with the same problem.. Stand behind the products you are distributing or don't sell them.  I'm going to keep the links off this post for now.. Maybe Sprint will read my post and consider standing behind this.. if Not, I'm going to copy at least 3 of the links that show this problem happens a lot and that the screen is breaking/cracking essentially all by itslef because the users (me included) are not carrying around our Galaxy S3 in bubble wrap.. And I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't fix the problem either.

Apple stands behind their products.. Verizon (a friend of mine has Verizon Platinum support and the same issue and Verizon simply replaced the phone, no questions asked)... Should we swithc to a carrier that cares?

13 REPLIES 13
Journeyman

Re: Sprint SPH-L170 Broken Screen

By the way, my next stop is going to be Facebook.. and some of the Consumer Protection Agencies. 

Wizard

PATCHPEACH1,

Thanks for the post. I certainly understand where you are coming from.  The best course of action to get this take care of is to contact Assurion. That is the company that we contract through for device insurance. We have no control over the device that you have received and at this point they are the only ones that can correct this situation. Assurion can be reached at (800) 584-3666 . I hope this info helps.

Sean L

Social Care

Journeyman

Well, I did that the first time.. Sprint wants me to spend $100 on Asurion again for a phone they are "selling" that is clearly defective.. That's great customer care. 

Let's see.. if you buy a car, a laptop from Best Buy, a phone from Verizon... Do those companies make the problem the Customer's problem?  No.. They provide superior customer support.. Anyone looking to buy a Galaxy S3 from Sprint.. Don't Do it.. Bad idea.. Sprint will not support you.. They will gladly take your money for a new phone, but it it's defective (see photos above..it's 100% clear that it's a manufacturers defect)... they don't stand behind ANY of the products they sell.. Run.. Don't Walk .. Away from Sprint..

Sprint.. Take responsbility.. Don't ask your customers to go call Samsung who wants the device for 3 weeks without giving a replacement...Are you kidding me..

Sprint.. I'm heading over to Facebook and other Consumer Related Forums.. This is terrible.. Really bad Customer Support and a "canned" and expected Answer from Sprint.. Go Call Assurion.. Yeah, that's what every LOYAL Sprint Customer should be told especially when it's 100% Clear this is not a User enduced issue..

Sprint.. You take the phone and get credited from Samsung.. HOw about that?  I know you keep track of these issues even if you do not publish this stuff.  Go back to Samsung and make them take responsibility.. 

Wizard

PATCHPEACH1,

Thanks for the reply. I spoke with my sup and was able to come up with a solution (albeit minor). If you get a new device I am able to offer a $30 credit to your account.  I can also get a hold of Samsung on your behalf and check to see what can be done. But the fact remains that the best option to get this taken care of is to contact Asurion if you feel that Asurion sold you bunk equipment.

Sean L

Social Care

Journeyman

Sean, the issue stands with Sprint.. Sprint contracts with Asurion.  The issue isn't Assurions... It's a Defective Device.. Design Flaw.. whatever you want to call it.. It's a problem with the Samsung Galaxy S3.  Assurion didn't cause this problem.  Samsung did.. Sprint distributes Samsung Devices.. The Buck stops with Sprint.. Don't pass it around to others.. Take responsibility for selling defective devices.. Send me another one.. If the replacement breaks, keep sending me replacements until you send me a S3 without this innate defect.. That's the bottom line..

Why would anyone looking for a new phone buy a Galaxy S3 if it's just going to break? That's ludicrous.  It's happening to multiple people and Sprint is doing nothing..

Keep in mind, over the past 5 months we have spent more than $1,600 with Sprint and this is the way a customer that only has 2 phones with Sprint is treated?  $1,600+.. maybe more.. Amazing...

I guarantee if I call Asurion, they are going to say take up the matter with either Samsung or Sprint.. The buck will be passed again.. Or, they will say, pay for the deductible and we'll send you another phone, most likely having the same defect and thus it's just a matter of time before it happens again.

By the way Sean, did you check my Account History?  Did I ever replace a different device due to a Broken Screen?  Do I have a habit of breaking screens outside of the Galaxy S3?  The answer is NO.. is the iPhone that we have subject to much greater chances of being broken than my device?  Yes... Substantially more.. I baby this phone so it doesn't break.... and it just breaks from pushing the one button it has on the Front Screen.. Amazing.. Look at the photos.. the Pics speak the Clear truth on this matter.

Do the right thing and Cover the deductible or send me a replacement.. Up to you.. If you want me to buy from Assurion, I'll do it even though I know there is a LIMIT on how many I can order every year.. That's the problem with you pushing me again to Asurion as I know this issue will happen again or worse, maybe I lose the phone and won't be able to get a replacement because I used my yearly allotment on 2 Defective Phones already..

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well Sean.. Spoke to Asurion.. They said they follow Sprint's Policy.. The second a customer Walks out the door, the Screen on ANY phone is the Customer's issue.. How do you like that Sean?  Back to square 1....And I have a broken phone because I used the phone the way the manufacturer intended and the screen cracked.. Amazing..

Journeyman

Sean, I've just started with Amazon.. My review is up.. Others to follow.. It will be my mission to post until this is resolved.. If not, consider it mine and my staffs (yes, I'm going to pay my staff to post the truth on this phone and Sprint's assitance until I feel there is a fair resolution to this)......mission to post to as many consumer related outlets as possible on this issue.

Wizard

PATCHPEACH1,

I am sorry for your frustrations.  I assure you no one is trying to give you defective phones, and I can’t imagine how they both cracked.  I am sorry about that.  However, we can not replace your phone.  These phones cost $600 each, this is why we involve Assurion to help protect our customers.  What we can do as a gesture of goodwill is credit your account $30 towards the purchase of a protective phone case.  There is no known issue of cracked screens, so I can only suggest a strong case, especially if you are in a rugged environment.  The Otter boxes are regarded as the best in that area.

Thanks,

Sean

Journeyman

Well Sean..

Here you go..

Here are just a few links out of many that suggest that I'm not alone.. Samsung doesn't want this issue to become widespread.. The Recall would be super expensive.. Also, why do you think they announced last week that the Galaxy S4 is going to have a non-crackable/breakable screen?  For this very issue

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-iii/193035-cracked-screen-defective-not-dropped.ht...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/search.php?searchid=1117992

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/780466

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/778077

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1890708

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1964326

So many more.. you get the idea..

Sean.. I just want a working phone.. credit me the deductible and I'll deal with trying not to loose it before my plan is up.. That's the right thing to do and it doesn't cost Sprint $600's...Only $150..

I'm already getting likes on FB on my personal Share, on Amazon, and Other sites that I've posted.. We will keep going until you do the right thing.. $30 is a ridiculous offer

Patron

SAME CRAP HAPPENED TO MY PHONE.. i'VE BEEN WITH SPRINT FOR OVER 12 YEARS AND I'M STARTING TO REGRET THAT. THEY DON'T STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCTS AND USE ASSURION AS THEIR SCAPEGOAT FOR ENSURING AND PROVIDING GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Journeyman

i definatly understand these frustrations that everyone is experiencing but i would like to suggest, the device is a samsung galaxy s3, the maker of this phone you are unhappy with is samsung, these cracks that are happy when you barely touch the phone is from the product that samsung designed, sprint sells the phone for samsung to provide the wireless service to use the phone (voice, text, and data) sprint did not make this phone, now i understand the frustration of sprint not backing up the product they are selling, but i do know that sprint policy will remain strong, crack screen is physical damage no matter how it happened and they can not replace it you will have to go through asurion, your case is rare, but the majority of cracked screens that happened are cause by not taking care of the product(dropping it...etc) but a sprint agent was not with you to see how the phone was cracked so unfortunately they will remain strong to the policy as i would assume. So unfortunately i would think your issue is mostly with samsung because of their products. Asurion will also stand strong with the physical damage policy, the situation is unfortunate and definatly i can imagine the frustration, but again i just want to put it out there. I could understand being frustrated with service issues with sprint but in my opinion feel your frustration should be more toward samsungs product. I do apologize if this offends you in any way, this is just my opinion.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat