cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Wizard

Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Sprint will begin to roll out Google's latest version of Android™, Ice Cream Sandwich, to our customers in 2012. Ice Cream Sandwich will be available via an over-the-air update to a variety of devices including Galaxy™ S II, Epic™ 4G Touch and Nexus S™ and other key products in our line-up. Stay tuned for more details and exact timing.

- announced today in Sprint News blog

170 REPLIES 170
Journeyman

Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Rather vague, given the number of remaining months in the year. Am due to upgrade now, and am considering the Epic 4G Touch. However, it's not easy to choose the device based on a seven month window. I'm sure some share my sentiments.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Absolutely! The year is almost 1/3rd over, saying they will be rolling ICS out in 2012 is no better than their announcement month sago saying the Epic4G Touch will be getting ICS, I had already assumed 2012. Sadly, this was a no new news announcement...

Journeyman

Motorola Photon 4g. What happened to the alliance???

Journeyman

Also, in relation to the Epic 4G, with the soon-to-be release of the S3, and current release of the Galaxy Nexus, it would make sense to expedite the release of ICS on this device.

Waiting until post-release of the S3 would mandate price concessions on the S2, and devalue remaining stock.

I have no idea of the remaining amount of S2 units, but a prompt release would maximize margins on available stock.

Bottom line, now would be the time to release ICS on the S2, or risk it being orphaned such as it's own predecessors.

Something I'm sure has been considered, however the logic seems not to come into play.

Journeyman

Yeah, I'm just disappointed in the whole thing. I love Sprint & HTC, and it's products, but something's gotta give. There's no reason why software updates should take so long. It is very clear at this point that Sprint is just waiting for the new ICS phones to get released before they release the update to the EVO 3D. This a shame that the business has come down to this.

Journeyman

Sounds good, first off I to say thank SPRINT for being my cellphone provider.  Since October of 2011 they have met my needs and services ans made me very very happy and solved my phone issues when I had to replace my cellphone for the first time.  I just need a suggestion for and upgrade when the time is near.  What would you recommend for an asweome android phone for me?  I'm looking for something theat I can read the Icons and web browser very clearly and an extended battery life, and awesome clarity and memory?  If anyone has any suggestions please get back with me as soon as you can.  I appreciate it and thank all of you for your feedbacks and support.

Kincaid1969

Journeyman

Htc thunderbolt getting ics and evo 4g (similar hardware) don't. Is this Sprint fault?

Journeyman

EVO 4g LTE...

Journeyman

I believe that Sprint's ICS message was stated in the wrong manner. What Sprint really meant to say about ICS coming to their handsets is the following.

Sprint will begin to roll out Sprint's version with Touchwiz, of Google's latest version of Android™, Ice Cream Sandwich, to our customers in 2012.
Journeyman

Maybe that will help fix all the freezes and stalling on my EPIC

rpacheco120community, The reason the HTC Evo 4G is not getting ics is because there is not enough memory available in the phone to hold the upgrade.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat