cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

Wizard

Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

dshoem01 wrote:

Sprint will begin to roll out Google's latest version of Android™, Ice Cream Sandwich, to our customers in 2012. Ice Cream Sandwich will be available via an over-the-air update to a variety of devices including Galaxy™ S II, Epic™ 4G Touch and Nexus S™ and other key products in our line-up. Stay tuned for more details and exact timing.

- announced today in Sprint News blog

Now while i think this is a good thing to hear, i`ll still be holding judgment untill they let us see the entlre list of what handsets will be getting the ICS update, however i WILL say this, it is my general belief that smartphones should be treated more like PC`s than just cellphones, after all, they can do almost anything that a laptop can do (with some obvious differences), and as such, updating should be on a more regular cycle, and users should be told of updates, and also told what the update(s) will fix/add as far as bugs/features, otherwise all ya have is frustrated customers and folks just sitting there twiddling their thumbs waiting for a update that might or might not come.  I for one will be waiting to see if the Motorola Admeral will get some ICS love, but we`ll just have to see.  TK241

Journeyman

Re: Sprint will begin roll out of Android™ Ice Cream Sandwich to customers in 2012

vague doesn't even come close. Verizon has had and delivering the ICS update for Weeks now. sprint is sitting on this why? been hearing about all the new features of ICS and i'm betting they are changing it to suit them and their crappy apps they pre load that you can't delete because one feature I've heard about is the ability to stop and delete any unwanted app  regardless if its pre loaded or not. some time this year huh? my contract expiries soon, maybe I'll switch companies, kinda tired of sprints ever shrinking service area and every time i walk into a building it switches to roam, getting tired of the letters about using my phone too much in roam... maybe I'll switch to Verizon egger they don't have roaming.

Sprint Employee

I personally use the HTC Evo 3D, and love the phone, If I wearn't so attached to having a 3D camera/screen I would easily pick the Galaxy Nexus.

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Um, this is not news until you can provide an actual release date. It's taking this long because in addition to integration issues, you all are probably loading a bunch of crapware in the Sprint release.

Journeyman

Last I checked, the Galaxy S II and the Epic 4G Touch are the same phone...

Journeyman

Well thanks for the update that tells absolutely nothing. Now how about an official list of sprint devices that will get the ICS update since we can't have dates?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thats good, but when evo 3d will get it? this just taking to long. how much boot ware you guys are putting in it

Journeyman

Sprint's playing a dangerous game here. Trying to hang on to unlimited data to attract new sign-ups has overloaded they're network to the point that it takes about 5 minutes to download a 1.5 MB file. At that rate is an unlimited data package really any use. The delay in rolling out the updates doesn't help a whole lot either. If only other carriers didn't separate their text and data packages I'd jump ship. I'd give Sprint credit for that, the nights and weekends start earlier and there is one flat rate for data and messages. But, better improve your data speeds Sprint and your rollout situation or you're gonna find it even harder to survive.

Sprint Employee

Helo JonWiswell, dshoem01 had listed the two names for the same phone to make the statement more clear, there is the common name of Galaxy™ S II, and our official name of Epic™ 4G Touch.

Journeyman

You're answering all the non-essential questions. Thanks.

Sprint Employee

Hello BROGERS85, Dates may not be released until we have the software ready for distribution, and it has been officially announced. I sympathize with you, and what you are going through. unfortunately what you want is not available at this time.

Journeyman

Actually they're not. The S2 is a type of handset, while the Epic Touch 4g is a specific version of the S2 made for Sprint. Just don't check the unedited specs of the S2 or you'll be a tad disappointed in the Sprint offering. That said, I own one and love it every minute of the day. I'm looking forward to ICS since it's easier to root.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat